• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hunting Horns--what do you know?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Hunting Horns--what do you know? Reply with quote

What do you know about hunting horns (fuerst press horns)?[/img]

Last edited by DJtpt31 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Horns--what do you know? Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
[img]Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.33.43 PM[/img]

I know you took a screen shot today at 10:30 PM.

Edit:I see that you have tried more than twice to get the link set up. You might want to try using the preview button prior to submitting to ensure the formatting is correct.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Horns--what do you know? Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
DJtpt31 wrote:
[img]Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.33.43 PM[/img]

I know you took a screen shot today at 10:30 PM. :wink: :lol:

Edit:I see that you have tried more than twice to get the link set up. You might want to try using the preview button prior to submitting to ensure the formatting is correct.

I was waiting for someone to comment on this. Then I was trying to figure out the percentage of you being the first to comment.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played one but on the German Trompetenforum Fürst Pless horns have been compared to cornets and the Corno da Caccia has been compared to Flügelhorn as far as sound goes.

Dotzauer makes Pless horns and there are a few boutique shops that seem to make excellent cornos, some even in C.

https://thein-blechblasinstrumente.de/05-02-corno-ba.php

http://www.hm-trompeten.de/me/dh_ba.htm

https://www.ricco-kuehn.de/willkommen/instrumente/c313c/

http://www.takao-nakagawa.de/instrumente/corno-da-caccia/corno-da-caccia-b/

https://www.musik-dotzauer.de/jagdinstrumente/fuerst-pless-und-parforcehoerner-mit-3-ventilen/fuerst-plesshorn-mit-ventilen/

https://www.musik-dotzauer.de/jagdinstrumente/fuerst-pless-und-parforcehoerner-mit-3-ventilen/fuerst-plesshorn-mit-ventilen-konzertmodell/
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose thank you for the input. I've seen this website https://www.aswltd.com/dotzauer.htm which sells Dotzauer furst pless hunting horns.

anyone familiar with Jurgen Voigt and this website? http://www.brassonline.net/e.shop/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=773
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a perforce horn (no valves) that they're happy with? I have my eye on a few Eb/Bb horns by K&H and Dotzauer($) at Thomann.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see from my signature I play a K&H flugel. It’s only the second flugel I owned in 40 years of playing and the reason is that I never saw the need to change. Solid quality, affordable price, easier to play than my Bach trumpet as far as intonation goes. Prefer it over Adams and a few other semi-boutique and boutique horns I tested. My teacher plays a K&H rotary trumpet and seems to like too. Great customer service, they got back to me within 48 hours. If their Parforce horns are anything like their other horns I’d think it’s a safe bet. They are regarded highly for their quality over here.
1977 Conn 6B
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and @DJtpt: Voigt valves are used by a number of other trumpet manufacturers over here, so I’d assume they are good quality, too. Never seen any of the Voigt horns in real life, though.
1977 Conn 6B
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
As you can see from my signature I play a K&H flugel. It’s only the second flugel I owned in 40 years of playing and the reason is that I never saw the need to change. Solid quality, affordable price, easier to play than my Bach trumpet as far as intonation goes. Prefer it over Adams and a few other semi-boutique and boutique horns I tested. My teacher plays a K&H rotary trumpet and seems to like too. Great customer service, they got back to me within 48 hours. If their Parforce horns are anything like their other horns I’d think it’s a safe bet. They are regarded highly for their quality over here.

I also have my eye on a K&H Eb fanfare (natural) trumpet, so this is all very helpful.

Thanks!
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had seen the Jurgen Voigt brand before, but know little about them. Wondering who has done dealings with http://www.brassonline.net?
K&H also have a furst pless horn available. Would probably try to buy a used horn, though they seem to be fulfilling a specific need, so I may have to buy one new.

Maybe someone can jump in and talk about their experience with these types of instruments.
victoriaSwalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never played same but when i wasn't very much gaming habit i played in mobile just like hunting horn and it's pretty good now i am a gamer buy different games online or every time looking for the deals or discount is gaming stores last i buy from halloween coupons and it is good enough.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone looking into hunting horns should at least consider PGM-Couesnon. The firm dates back, by way of the famed name Gautrot, to the Guichard family and workshop. At one point, F.Besson was absorbed into Couesnon before a violent criminal act destroyed all of the Couesnon and Besson heritage. Through many generations, and a few families, it has remained as much a family avocation as a business, and their hunting horns and flugels are internationally renowned.

Couesnon hunting horns: https://trompes-de-chasse.pgm-couesnon.fr/

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Ancientram

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Parforce Horns Reply with quote

Years ago, two of the local amateur horn players had a trip to Germany during which they bought parforce horns. Some years later, as a group of us were playing music from a St Hubert mass for the local hunt club's blessing of horses, riders, and hounds, I had the chance to blow one of their parforce horns.

That was more than long enough ago that I have no recollection of who might have made them. My dim recollection of playing characteristics would be they had a more coarse/more raw sound than our regular double horns.

They were in Eb and had some sort of simple change valve that enabled playing a written B natural (third line, treble clef) when it occurred in the music. In those instances, the B natural had a small x above the staff where it occurred. The change valve was much simpler than the rotary valve we see in current product photos.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: