• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benge 5x bore size?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Benge 5x bore size? Reply with quote

Question for all of you Benge guys.
I always understood (rightly or wrongly) that the designations for Benge horns
(at least from the 70s on) were two parts: a number designating bell/choke size, and a descriptor designating bore size. So, my 3x+ (later 3xMLP) was a '3' bell/choke and the + or MLP was Medium Large Plus, usually .464 boresize.
I've never heard a bore size descriptor for the 5x horns. I've only heard them referred to as 5x. Is a 5x a '5' bell/choke with a medium (.460) bore? Did they make 5xs with + or MLP (.464) bore sizes? If so, do people not refer to them as a 5x+ (or MLP) or have I just never run across the right discussion?
Just trying to clear some confusion for myself.

keith
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5X is the #5 bell with a ML (.460) bore. Benge didn't offer a 5X+ as a standard production horn although I suppose you could have special ordered such a configuration during the time when Benge would fulfill a custom order (the Burbank years in particular). That being said, I've never seen nor heard about any 5X+ trumpets.

The best research site for Benge trumpets is Joe Lill's Benge website.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was apparently one 5X+ made by Benge in the 1950s or possibly 60s. I've seen pictures of it somewhere. Maybe HornTrader had it at one time?

There was also the Wilmington Benge, which was a Kanstul 1001 (also .464' bore) with the inverted Besson-style third valve slide assembly and a #5 bell. This was commissioned by TH member Russ DeGate (yeah, yeah, very funny). It was his 50th birthday gift to himself back about 2009 and he asked me to write about it and compare it to my own Benge 5X. That was the first full review I ever posted here. It was also the first collaboration I ever did with Flip Oakes, who helped me with the comparison by playing the two horns we assembled for the article.

I've often thought a 5X+ would be a really great trumpet.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's some more info I happened across......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwpZHQB6Xv0

keith
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back, as I noticed a LARGE BORE Burbank-era Benge currently for sale in the marketplace. I just followed the seller's link to his YouTube tour of the horn, and then followed-up by consulting its entry in Joe Lill's database: http://www.musicbyjoelill.com/BurbankBenges.pdf

S/N #5387 is the 5X Large Bore, #4115 is the only 5X+ currently on record.

I've always enjoyed the .468 Benge - 6X and CGs alike, and have always wanted to try the 5 bell. Fascinating custom option to think about, and interesting custom orders in both cases. As with everything, custom orders that didn't become standard models are typically horns that work best for those for whom the horn was built. On the opposite side, Dillon Music, currently has a very rare 1X medium bore for sale. I once got to play a 2X+ there that I wish I'd had the cash for at the time.

Happy practicing!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
On the opposite side, Dillon Music, currently has a very rare 1X medium bore for sale. I once got to play a 2X+ there that I wish I'd had the cash for at the time.
I've played that one, it's very nice! I have a Burbank 1x and 2x
which are excellent horns, as well as an LA 2x+...each one is quite special!
My Burbank 5x is traditional ML, but have seen the L bore and MLP versions once before,
each one a custom order I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: