• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Amateur player looking for help to improve

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huxl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Amateur player looking for help to improve Reply with quote

Hi fellow trumpet players,

I have decided that I want to be a better trumpet player, and I am not sure what to do about it.

I am a 32 year old amateur trumpet player who started to learn at the age of 9 at a local music school. I had the same teacher for about 7 years, since then I am without a teacher.

Since about 15 years, I play with a local orchestra. We play a wild mix of mostly polkas, marches, movie soundtracks and some classic. I have also been playing on and off with amateur bands with short gigs up to one hour.

Besides one weekly rehearsals of 1-2 hours, I have in avarage been practicing for half an hour once a week (sometimes more, somtimes less or nothing). This has been enough to somehow play what I wanted to play, but it has never felt easy or relaxed.

For a while now, I am thinking about putting more effort into practicing to reach the next level. I have by no means the desire to get anywhere near a professional level, however I would really like to be able to play my usual stuff more easily.

What I can currently do:
- Playing with my orchestra for up to 1 - 1,5 hours - often in the end, or when the gig is longer, I need to play everything 'high' an octave lower.
- I play up to high c in gigs, which is successful most of the time. It doesn't sound super clean, and I have never played a high c without much effort and most likely too much pressure.
- Practicing, I usually can go up to d or eb, but I would not attempt these in gigs.

What I want to have:
- Efficiency and endurance to play with my amateur orchestra for 1,5 - 2 hours and still hit the high notes up to high c in the end (I have no desire to play higher)
- Playing the things we play more easily, and more relaxed
- A better sound and more control would not hurt as well

I have started to practice for at least half an hour, up to one hour, about 5 to 6 times a week. I don't really want to take the time to have lessons with a teacher again (high effort job, two kids, sports...).

The questions I am asking myself are:
- Is this enough practice time to reach my goals?
- What/how should I practice? From the time with my teacher, I have an old copy of the Arban book and some rather unknown books of which I have never read in this Forum.

I would appreciate any help or hints from you!

Thanks and kind regards
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Amateur player looking for help to improve Reply with quote

huxl wrote:
I have started to practice for at least half an hour, up to one hour, about 5 to 6 times a week. I don't really want to take the time to have lessons with a teacher again (high effort job, two kids, sports...).

- What/how should I practice? From the time with my teacher, I have an old copy of the Arban book and some rather unknown books of which I have never read in this Forum.

I would appreciate any help or hints from you!

Thanks and kind regards

I think the single best thing you can do is to start a regular daily practice routine. From what you wrote, this is exactly what you're doing. Playing the trumpet every day is more important than "what you play" or "how long you play" (IMHO). Get some face time every day (or as close to "every day" as you can).

The Arban book is a good choice. It's the standard, of course. One limitation with Arbans is limited (IMHO), in that it lacks direction on how to systematically use the book. But if you know your way around it, or if you use a guideline (like Eric Bolvin's), you can easily make it work. An alternative is to use something like the Rubank method (advanced method, vol's 1 and 2), which includes a format for working through their method systematically. And if I was to work out of a second book, I'd go with Clarke Technical Studies.

Some links:
Eric Bolvin's Arban Manual
https://qpress.ca/product/arban-manual/

Rubank Advanced Trumpet Method
https://www.amazon.com/Rubank-Advanced-Method-Trumpet-Educational/dp/1423444280

Clarke Technical Studies
https://www.amazon.com/Technical-Studies-Cornet-English-German/dp/0825801583

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Amateur player looking for help to improve Reply with quote

huxl wrote:
I play up to high c in gigs, which is successful most of the time. It doesn't sound super clean, and I have never played a high c without much effort and most likely too much pressure.
I have started to practice for at least half an hour, up to one hour, about 5 to 6 times a week. ...

----------------------------------
For upper range you might need to find a way to use less pressure on your upper lip. For me, I have found it very helpful to use my lower jaw and teeth to press my lower lip more firmly against the mouthpiece - this reduces the mouthpiece pressure on the upper lip, and allows the upper lip more ability to vibrate for high notes. And it IS forward moving lower jaw pressure, NOT pulling the mouthpiece backward against the lower lip.

Doing regular daily practice is very important. In the Arban's book, my favorite piece to practice is the 'Star of Paris Polka'.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Your progress in the practice room is dictated by a few things, including how much time you practice, what you practice, and how you practice it. A good teacher can help a lot with the what and how to practice. If you don't have a teacher, you are likely limiting your progress.

I think it is possible to achieve your goals, particularly if you are on the high end of your practice time (closer to 1 hour per day, 6 days per week).

As to what/how to practice, if you won't be working with a teacher, I'd say the best thing to do is to pick a "system" and stick with it. Carmine Caruso's "Musical Calisthenics for Brass", Claude Gordon's "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice" (which requires several other books), Donald Reinhardt's "Trumpet Mechanisms" and Jimmy Stamp's "Warm Ups and Studies" each offer what I consider to be a solid approach to developing range, endurance and other fundamental skills. Each author has a dedicated forum here on TH that you can refer to to help figure their system out.

You said that you have Arban, so you could pick up a copy of Eric Bolvin's "The Arban Manual" and use that to methodically guide you through Arban to supplement the system you picked (above).

Some of the books above include technical and/or flexibility studies, but I think that you'd be well served to add Clarke's "Technical Studies" and a flexibility book such as Irons "27 Groups of Exercises" or Bail Lin's "Lip Flexibilities."

Good luck (and really give some thought to at least a few lessons with a teacher)!!!
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I think you can definitely do what you want in an hour or so a day of practice!

I also agree with previous poster's comments about developing a routine. There are TONS and TONS of different opinions about the best way to go about doing this. I will say, however, that after 15 years of playing professionally and teaching, I believe that it's much simpler than people would like to think. The following is a very simple approach that I use with my students to great success:

1 - mouthpiece buzzing (1 to 3 minutes)
2 - Flow studies - VC 1 Group A for example, etc (2 to 3 minutes)
3 - Lip Flexibilities - there are MANY great options (Bai Lin, Colins, Irons, etc.) (5 to 10 minutes)
4 - articulation - Scales, Clarke, or Arban (5 to 10 minutes)

The idea here is to be able to cover the basics in a totally manageable amount of time. This allows for more time to do the "fun" stuff like playing tunes!

some basic ideas
- always begin quietly, listening for effortless resonance in the tone.
- use a metronome, it's the great body coordinator
- be patient - don't try to do too much too soon.
- vary the routine every month or so, being sure to cover the same basic principles.

I really don't think you should be worrying about mouthpiece pressure or jaw placement or any of these issues until you've given a good routine a month or 2 to work for you.

Have fun!!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass

Last edited by Dave CCM/SSO on Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Amateur player Reply with quote

Hello HUXL,
Welcome to the TH. Everybody has given you great advice. You have a positive history of instruction and a desire. I consider myself as a proficient amateur. Two music degrees, 30 years of teaching music/band and playing/played with every group in town. When I became less motivated, I searched for some inspiration. I found the 5 videos from Steve Dillard/Horntrader to be what I needed. There were others also. I also found a lot of info that was not helpful...Which can be useful in knowing what you don't want or need. Kind of the self help for trumpet playing...Hi, My name is....(Possibly bad joke..) I also am constantly gleaning from players around me, as I have been exposed to many that came from prestigious places of days gone by. I have learned much from being at the bottom of the heap, enjoy being in the middle of the heap and know that I should be doing better when I am at the top of the heap... One of these days I will have to take a couple more lessons...Just as a swing check...
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, even if regular lessons aren't practical for you, perhaps you could take just one or two with a suitable pro. With the right teacher you should be able to leave with a customized lesson plan and a clear idea of what to practice and how.

I've had a love/hate relation with this instrument ever since I was big enough to hold it. And I was relatively successful considering I was entirely self-taught until I was in my 30's. From what I've found is that you can only go so far on your own. If you've hit a plateau, there no guarantee that you will go further just by doing it more often.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
doitallman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt really start getting what I wanted out my playing, until I started experimenting with tongue position. Try to let the tongue do as much work as you can. Let it aim the air etc.. see what happens.
Bach 184 cornet
Bach C 229GH 25H
Nikon D300s
Wechter acoustic
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overthink! Dave CCM/SSO posted the very best advice.
Make all playing musical, even scales and simple exercises. Always strive for a a good sound.
Sing through the horn. Breathe. Use a metronome for keeping pure rhythm.
Your short practice time is not going to give you an easy high range and endurance, meaning you will have to make the very best of your time by getting the basic fundamentals going to the point where you do not have to think about them.
R. Tomasek
huxl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear fellow trumpeters,

first of all, thank you for the advice you have given me in February this year.

Since then, I have practiced in avarage about 5-6 times a week for 30-45min. I stop before I am super tired and split the 30-45min in 2 or 3 sessions a day. I also have taken a week off for a few times (vacation etc...).
I have been practicing Claude Gordon's "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice", however I did not get past the first 5 or 6 routines. I have been repeating these again and again, I can't really play the later ones. In addition, I have used a bit of Arban and playing music.

Now for the results:
I feel that I use much less tension by now, my tone sounds much better and I have more control up to about A below the staff. However, I am struggling with the higher notes (which is up to High C or D above the staff for me). I can still play a High C and it sounds better than before - I just can't play it loud, or at the end of a longer passage.

Should I continue like this, or should I change something?
In case this is normal and I may be on a good way - from experience, how long until I get my old range back?

Thank you!
FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you could get a lot of benefit from engaging with Andrea Giuffredi's YouTube 'Play with me' videos. There is no talking. Just loads of superb playing for you to listen to and then repeat. I started to make a list but gave up in July, at which point there was about one & a half hours of exercises and excerpts. Since then he has added much more. He covers long tones, octaves,flexibility, Clarke 2, Cichowicz flow studies, Arban 11 to 18, and much more. Have a look, and for the next year at least you'll never need to wonder what you should be doing next.

Cheers, Frank.
Besson Meha Bb Tpt
Selmer 99 Radial
Conn Connstelation 36B
Conn Connstelation 28A
B&H Sovereign Cornet
Yamaha 635T Flugel Horn.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent thread. The only thing I can add is my fairly recent discovery that practicing in short sessions throughout the day has made a huge difference in every aspect of my playing.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Should I continue like this, or should I change something?

You've made some progress toward your goal if your high C is stronger and more reliable. 30-45 minutes of practice per day, 5-6 days per week is not a lot of playing time, so it may not be realistic to expect anything more than moderate progress.

Given that what you are doing now -- Gordon's Systematic Approach -- seems to be helping, I'd suggest sticking with that. I'd also strongly suggest that you consider lessons with one of Claude Gordon's former students: Bruce Haag, John Mohan, Jeff Purtle....They all offer lessons online and can help you get the most out of your CG routine.

Good luck!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huxl wrote:
... struggling with the higher notes (which is up to High C or D above the staff for me). I can still play a High C and it sounds better than before - I just can't play it loud, or at the end of a longer passage. ...

----------
Playing well at the end of a long passage or session takes time to develop the necessary lip strength and control.

Higher notes - perhaps too much lip compression, or mpc rim pressure, preventing the lip from being able to vibrate. Try using lower jaw to regulate and transfer rim pressure between the upper and lower lips.

Jay
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that you prefer to avoid regular lessons but perhaps you could take just one or a few so a pro-level teacher can help you craft a suitable daily routine. It's often not what you practice but how you do it and that's pretty hard to learn from a book.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
huxl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the great support so far. Here is another update from me, three months after the last one.

I think I have made much better progress in these 3 months than in the 8 months before since I started practicing. I only think and don't know since I am only practicing at home due to the lockdown in Germany, no rehersals or gigs. Since working from home is a thing now for me, I could increase my practice time to about 45-60min daily.

I have much more endurance in the medium range, and I feel quite confident up to b above the staff when playing music. High c works quite well as long as it is in the first few measures after taking a breath, and it still takes effort. It is also much stronger than a few months back. I am still struggling with endurance when the music goes above the staff - I see that as my main weakness for the things I usually play. Also longer passages still tire me out quite fast.

During practice sessions I can play up to e flat regularly, sometimes up to f above the staff (sound is ok but rather quiet, can't play it loud), and it still feels kind of low effort. However, I can play these notes only when sliding up on the same valve combination from low/medium range (e. g. Irons group 24). In other exercices with bigger intervals, I can't go higher than c sharp or d above the staff.

I have been playing in medium range for most of my practice time. Usually I take 1-2 exercices up to high c every day, higher only once or twice a week.

I would like to ask two questions into the round:

1) With my goal being to increase confidence and endurance up to high c (don't want/need to play higher): Would you recommend to practice more regularly at my top range (above high c), or more at the range in which I am struggling with endurance (g to high c), or keep practicing most of the time in medium range?

2) How do I address my issue with endurance in longer passages - should I play longer passages (exercises or music) till I start feeling tired and then rest for a few minutes before starting again; or should I rather continue practicing excercices which last about one breath and then rest for the same time for most of my practice time?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huxl wrote:

1) With my goal being to increase confidence and endurance up to high c (don't want/need to play higher): Would you recommend to practice more regularly at my top range (above high c), or more at the range in which I am struggling with endurance (g to high c), or keep practicing most of the time in medium range?

2) How do I address my issue with endurance in longer passages - should I play longer passages (exercises or music) till I start feeling tired and then rest for a few minutes before starting again; or should I rather continue practicing excercices which last about one breath and then rest for the same time for most of my practice time?

Technically, each note on the trumpet is a different skill set. The differences in what you do may be very minimal and the principle may be similar but they are still differences. So, the best way to practice a note with which you have difficulty is to practice playing that note and the skill set necessary to play that note solidly and confidently every time. For that reason, if endurance is your issue, I think practicing in the range in which you are struggling with endurance will be much more effective than practicing in a higher range. That being said, most of your practicing should continue to be in the medium range because that is where you play the most.

As for the topic of endurance overall, many problems with endurance, if not most problems, are the result of inefficiency rather than a result of lack of strength. In other words, having to work too hard gives you the same ultimate result as not having sufficient strength in the first place.

So, when you're practicing in areas in which endurance is a problem you want to train yourself to be more efficient. One of the best ways to do that is to practice at extremely low volume levels to train your embouchure to produce the notes with less air. You want to try to produce the sound with as little air as possible to train your embouchure to be more responsive and produce the notes with less effort.
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. You need a teacher. And you need to practice A LOT. Good luck! jw
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
... You want to try to produce the sound with as little air as possible to train your embouchure to be more responsive and produce the notes with less effort.

---------------------------------------
That's a good goal!

I think a major trouble can be the use of too much mouthpiece pressure. The pressure itself is tiring for the lips, and pressure also makes the lips less flexible (which makes it necessary to use higher air pressure and more effort).

To increase the flexibility of the upper lip, try using your jaw to press the lower lip more firmly onto the rim - that can transfer some rim pressure from the upper lip and onto the bottom lip.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
huxl wrote:

Technically, each note on the trumpet is a different skill set. The differences in what you do may be very minimal and the principle may be similar but they are still differences. So, the best way to practice a note with which you have difficulty is to practice playing that note and the skill set necessary to play that note solidly and confidently every time. For that reason, if endurance is your issue, I think practicing in the range in which you are struggling with endurance will be much more effective than practicing in a higher range. That being said, most of your practicing should continue to be in the medium range because that is where you play the most.

As for the topic of endurance overall, many problems with endurance, if not most problems, are the result of inefficiency rather than a result of lack of strength. In other words, having to work too hard gives you the same ultimate result as not having sufficient strength in the first place.

So, when you're practicing in areas in which endurance is a problem you want to train yourself to be more efficient. One of the best ways to do that is to practice at extremely low volume levels to train your embouchure to produce the notes with less air. You want to try to produce the sound with as little air as possible to train your embouchure to be more responsive and produce the notes with less effort.

To expand on what HERMOKIWI left you with, I was at a similar point as you a couple of years ago. To take the next step I focused on improving my efficiency in the normal range. I believe lip bends and/or pedals played down to pedal C really help with developing the coordination that leads to efficiency which in turn leads to endurance. If you have read posts about playing pedals you know that those who advocate for them reinforce that the pedals must be played correctly. As TrumpetMD stated, its the how that matters more than the what. Pay attention to how you are playing exercises and focus on minimizing unnecessary movement in your embouchure. Here are some examples based on my experience:

When I would play Clarke studies I would never pay attention to what my embouchure was doing. When I started paying attention I noted that I was making all kinds of unnecessary adjustments. Try thinking of them as a long tones and that the fingerings are just adding tubing which do not require any additional manipulation. Stay focus on maintaining a steady air flow.

When I played pedals I was making a lot of excess movements. I spent a good two or three weeks just working on relearning to play pedal F with the same lip setting I played F in staff. Then I moved to pedal E and didn't move on until I had that one correct.

After about 3 or 4 months of this kind of focus my endurance improved and those notes above the staff became noticeably easier. Focus on efficiency, you wont regret it.

As my signature states, I am not a pro or an educator, just a comeback player with no street cred. Your mileage may vary.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: