• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pixie Mute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinybear

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Pixie Mute Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I've been interested in getting a pixie mute for some time now. I was hoping to find an older used one but could just get a new one. I know Humes and berg sell one(I didn't like this one). I know Tom Crown just came out with one. But does anybody else know of any?
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best one I have found is the Denis Wick D/Eb mute. Stays in the bell, plays in tune, and sounds good...

HTH

Ben
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
The best one I have found is the Denis Wick D/Eb mute. Stays in the bell, plays in tune, and sounds good...

HTH

Ben

Same here - much better than the H&B pixie which is more of a challenge device for "play this in tune".
HoltonHunter105

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have The Harmon Mute Companies rendition of the pixie mute. They're sold new, but they're a very vintage design. I posted a link below that will take you to the website with the best price on these that I know of.

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Harmon-Trumpet-Snub-tone-Straight-Mute-Aluminium/2WX1
Holton Model 28 Cornet
Holton Model 29 Cornet
Holton Mouthpieces
Protec Bags
Harmon Mutes
Hamilton Stands
Superslick Care and Cleaning Products

Austin Shulse
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Tom Crown Pixie. It's designed like a trombone pixie -- long insertion into the bell throat.

-Denny
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
I really like the Tom Crown Pixie. It's designed like a trombone pixie -- long insertion into the bell throat.

-Denny

I have try ALL the pixie mutes in the market , new and vintage , the best is all copper made old French pixie that it fits long inside the bell , well in tune and great resistance and sound .
The best new one is the Tom Crown , that is very close to the old French pixie https://www.thomann.de/gr/tom_crown_trumpet_pixie_alu.htm

I had try the D Wick but the sound is not even close to the old pixie/trixie sound that I heard in old recordings but this is just my opinion.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/2vFB0QF5vxU

This is a old home recording that I use on my cornet my old long pixie with a old T Dorsey plunger.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Tom Crown Pixie. Total waste of money. SHARP pitch, stuffy...the only good thing was I didn't pay full price.

I'd say it's always good to have another paperweight, but it's aluminum so...not really paperweight capable.

If you can find (and good luck with that) an original Pixie mute like in this video, get it. It'll be expensive but it's the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8CXqa5flh8&t=222s

After that, IMO, the Wick D/Eb straight will work the best.

Then again, Kenny Rampton & the plunger he developed with Hirschman Mutes is designed to work with regular straight mutes. I haven't tried one myself yet but it looks promising.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote="trpthrld"]I bought a Tom Crown Pixie. Total waste of money. SHARP pitch, stuffy...the only good thing was I didn't pay full price.[/quote]

Yes, it's very sharp but it's in tune with itself. During a gig, I keep the mute in a dedicated horn (pulled out to pitch), hanging on a hook attached to a stand ← that might seem fussy but it makes the in-tune "mute change" instantaneous.

"Stuffy" -- not sure what you're hearing/feeling. I don't care for its sound without a plunger but it's tone and blow is pretty uniform from low F# all the way up. Each of the cornets that I have used it in have (the same) very large throat (and a small bell diameter).

We all know that we have to lessen (by filing) or increase (by replacing) the thickness of the corks to optimize a mute.

-Denny
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
We all know that we have to lessen (by filing) or increase (by replacing) the thickness of the corks to optimize a mute.

Yep.

Did all that.

No improvement, but that's just my experience.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real deal was a "practice" mute that came with Conn instruments back in the '20's and 30's. It had 3 round corks and an inner tube like a solotone. Clyde McCoy recorded Sugar Blues with one with a metal ice cream dish for a plunger.

They show up on Ebay once in a while. I don't have one, wish I did. I might give the Harmon a try, the price is very reasonable.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
The real deal was a "practice" mute that came with Conn instruments back in the '20's and 30's. It had 3 round corks and an inner tube like a solotone. Clyde McCoy recorded Sugar Blues with one with a metal ice cream dish for a plunger.

They show up on Ebay once in a while. I don't have one, wish I did. I might give the Harmon a try, the price is very reasonable.

Yes , very good mute , King Oliver also use to play his famous plunger solos with this small mute including the Dippermouth blues solo.
As I said above I own many pixies , new and old and the best combination of sound/blow/pitch I get it from the old copper blond nipple straight, recently I found one more , different brand and shape but it also sounds great.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: