• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do you listen to music

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but I just saw it.

I have two systems:

1) the big one in the living room: Apt amplifier, Schiit Saga pre-amp; Schiit Modius DAC, old Sony CD player, AppleTV plugged into DAC via TOSLink, Magnepan 1.6 speakers. I often stream music to the AppleTV via my iPhone.

2) the tiny one in our bedroom: a Klipsch soundbar with satellite sub-woofer, which I purchased to use with the TV in the living room to give us more intelligible speech. It was an improvement over the stock speakers in the Sony TV, but it did not give us what we were hoping for.

So we swapped the big system in our bedroom, which my wife never liked, with the Klipsch soundbar, and we killed two birds with one stone. We got much more intelligible speech on TV, along with good imaging, so back ground and directional sounds are distinct, and both my wife and I really like the sound of the Klipsch for streamed music in the bedroom. Instruments sound much more like actual instruments on the Klipsch soundbar than they do on the Magnepan speakers.
The Magnepan's highs sound dull and fuzzy. But they do sound huge.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On computer, I use an ifi Zen DAC with a USB connection and some old Koss Pro-4AA headphones or Sony headphones (looking for others). If I am listening something from a file, I will use a media player that goes straight to the DAC efficiently (still looking for a better one). I have my Windows settings to remove all enhancements and send the signal to the DAC.
HiFi is Onkyo 8050 into ELAC Debut 2.0 DF 6.2 speakers. I have an Onkyo CD Player, a turntable and (blush) and old cassette deck set up with it. Can also stream from my media server computer.
The goal in both systems is a clean, straight from the medium sound rather than altered sound, so I have picked my components for accuracy rather than effects.
I also intend to hook my old Sansui amp up the the DAC on my computer after I repair a set of speakers. (Have to redo the surrounds (foam) on a couple of speakers from the '80s.)
Since I like unaltered sound with lots of original detail, I am not a fan of Bose, because their design mucks with the frequency content to give a fuller, richer sound, but I understand that some people really like the Bose sound.
My systems are not high-end audiophile quality, but they are very satisfactory for me and I feel it is important to have good sound in listening. We have really gotten used to a lot of low fidelity music.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a younger musician, I was listening to some Sonny Rollins with a guy I really looked up to. We were listening to the music on a portable unit that folded up into a suitcase.

I asked him "Why"? Without answering, he said, "Did you her that alternate chord?" And again, " Did you hear where he missed a chord change on that record?"

When I answered "No" he said, "If you can't hear it on crappy equipment what difference does it make?" I often wondered if I transcended that.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont care what I listen to music on.

I listen to garbage digital recordings from the internet played through garbage computer electronics the components of which must have cost all of ten dollars, and played through some cheap headphones I was given a couple of years ago.

The quality of the sound burrowing into my earlugs is the quality of the worst component in the mix. And I have some doozys

I cannot control the crappy source so I wont spend any money on high quality equipment that will just reveal the crappola I listen to.

My gear is therefore a celebration of fiscal economy.

As they say garbage in garbage out.

The undeniable wisdom of spending as little as possible on sound gear is it encourages me to practice more and not be tempted to listen to crappy reproductions of fabulous musicians who I can never hope to reach in ability.

I can aspire to one day play better than the crappola sound quality I am forced to hear on this rubbish equipment I possess, long may I never upgrade.

This bubble is not for bursting
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a decent stereo system.
When I'm away from it, I use the following:

Source: CD, FLAC file or Qobuz Hi-Fi streaming
DAC: DragonFly Red
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 600 / Sennheiser HD630VB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: