• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shilke Mouthpiece with Yamaha Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corny Cornet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Shilke Mouthpiece with Yamaha Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi, I have recently got a Shilke 15A4 mouthpiece to use in my Xeno 8345S 04.

If I gently insert it not quite straight I can feel it touch something just before it is fully inserted. Also after use it has an insertion ring around it not near the cup but only about 5mm from the end.

Researching now I have found comment about Shilke mouthpieces being longer due I think to a desire to have minimal gap, is this correct?

Could this mouthpiece be too big?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this was a design clash you'd expect it to be a known incompatibility...

Whilst it's true that Schilke's are designed to insert further (and gap less as a result), unless the mouthpiece is bottoming out and failing to seat it isn't a mismatch.

Sounds like you might possibly have a solder blob (unusual with a Yamaha, though it does happen) - can you see anything there if you shine a light down the receiver?

If it's seating property (and not wobbling) and it plays well then all is fine... If you've got a wobble going on then there's probably something there that's worth having a good tech take a look at.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shank of the mpc might have a bulge or bend. Roll the shank on a flat surface and make sure it doesn't teeter-totter in any position. The entire length of the shaft should be in contact with a flat surface - no gaps where light shines thru.

It's also possible that someone removed a dent in the open end of the shank and slightly 'belled' the opening. or made it out-of-round.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: