• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stanley Crouch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Stanley Crouch Reply with quote

Literary and jazz music critic, Stanley Crouch, known for a long association with Wynton Marsalis, mentoring him in the 80's, eventually inspiring JLCO, died Sept 2020. You may recall the Ken Burn's jazz series, that didn't please everyone, with less than flattering remarks of Swing icons like Benny Goodman, and little mention of fusion groups, such as Weather Report, that may be categorized as more of a rock band. That said, he was relentless in the things he considered central to the music.

For all the long winded episodes in the Ken Burn's series...a fairly good summary is provided here :

https://youtube-cutter.org/video/nUMIhc7B9
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kansas City Lightning was a superb history beyond the bio of Bird.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Stanley Crouch Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
Literary and jazz music critic, Stanley Crouch, known for a long association with Wynton Marsalis, mentoring him in the 80's, eventually inspiring JLCO, died Sept 2020. You may recall the Ken Burn's jazz series, that didn't please everyone, with less than flattering remarks of Swing icons like Benny Goodman, and little mention of fusion groups, such as Weather Report, that may be categorized as more of a rock band. That said, he was relentless in the things he considered central to the music.

For all the long winded episodes in the Ken Burn's series...a fairly good summary is provided here :

https://youtube-cutter.org/video/nUMIhc7B9

Haha, yeah, I saw what they did there.

Even though I am a big fan of Wynton Marsalis, I always disliked Stanley Crouch. I thought Crouch was rude and, yes, even violent towards those who disagreed with him. IMO, he was far more divisive than informative. Nonetheless, I hope he is resting in peace.

(Deleted rant and accusation of racism.)

Last edited by Didymus on Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:00 am; edited 2 times in total
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that Kehaulani's post was deleted.. but as far as recently passing, Stanley Crouch would be the last person taking umbrage with any enthusiast having a position, or disagreement about the music.

Before being fired at the Village Voice, Crouch was known for several encounters with a guy employed there as a rap writer, who found Stanley routinely characterize rap in a disparaging way, but done with intent of improving the guy's understanding of rap.

A funny anecdote by someone who took a course of his at a University in the late 60's, recalled him arriving in the class struggling with discomfort..hesitated, then spoke 2 words, cracking everyone up.

" Tom Jones..."
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stanley Crouch Reply with quote

Collaborating once again with Ken Burns, the 'Jack Johnson' documentary featured a soundtrack from Wynton, and some commentary from Crouch. The introduction blends in a nice blues number, that apparently started with a guitar riff.

Brilliant...

https://youtube-cutter.org/video/iPQ5jWNn-
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Stanley Crouch Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
Collaborating once again with Ken Burns, the 'Jack Johnson' documentary featured a soundtrack from Wynton, and some commentary from Crouch.

And music from Miles' "Jack Johnson"?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crouch was a blowhard and a hypocrite who road the Wynton wave to prosperity and recognition. Truly despicable individual. RIP.

keith
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
Crouch was a blowhard and a hypocrite who road the Wynton wave to prosperity and recognition. Truly despicable individual. RIP.

Agree he was not always a gentleman and abrasive at times, but seemed to possess a strong intellect. In the 60's when he interviewed for a job at a University, with a highschool education, his literary chops were recognized as beyond those that were interviewing him.

Did you happen to read any of his books by chance.. or an article ?
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always made a point of reading his articles in the Voice (years ago). Many original and contrarian viewpoints.

I met him once in a record store in Manhattan. I introduced myself and my wife to him. He was very cordial.

Hup
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
khedger wrote:

Agree he was not always a gentleman and abrasive at times, but seemed to possess a strong intellect. In the 60's when he interviewed for a job at a University, with a highschool education, his literary chops were recognized as beyond those that were interviewing him.

Did you happen to read any of his books by chance.. or an article ?

No. I refused to legitimize his work because of his total denigration of modern and avante garde jazz, which was not only incorrect, but particularly galling from someone who presented himself as an avange garde drummer in the '60s. As I said, a total hypocrite. If I was going to read anybody in the voice it would have been Nat Hentoff.

keith
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
I refused to legitimize his work because of his total denigration of modern and avante garde jazz, which was not only incorrect, but particularly galling from someone who presented himself as an avange garde drummer in the '60s. As I said, a total hypocrite. If I was going to read anybody in the voice it would have been Nat Hentoff.

keith

I don't know about 'total' denigration..as he was highly complimentary of Ornette Coleman and Don Ellis, to name a few. Otoh, one of the most prominent modern player that didn't fare as well was Lester Bowie. A career built on the avante garde, highlighted and set off in a white labratory coat to emphasize the goal of invention, he gets credit for being musical while using half-valve effects almost every bar.. Many did it for effect, but rarely to that degree. Not far removed from a player on stage with a bucket of cement next to him, and every few seconds, pour into the end of the bell.

https://youtube-cutter.org/video/3_AdomA67

____

Last edited by rothman on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Coleman, Ellis, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Haden, et cetera Reply with quote

I was disappointed that the Ken Burns documentary included several excerpts of their interview with Lester Bowie, and then turned around and dismissed the Art Ensemble of Chicago as only being a hit with "college students in France". That was totally uncalled for, and completely inaccurate. The AEC won the respect of many in the avant-garde movement, and was a big part of the modern jazz scene in their hometown.

As someone who was no fan of Stanley Crouch, I found it, uhm, interesting that he dismissed a lot of avant-garde efforts as charlatan after beginning his career as a drummer in that corner of the jazz world. Some say that after a while he was disinvited to gigs because he couldn't "hang", others say that he was bitter and jealous about it, or whatever. I wasn't there to see it. It could be that he was as confrontational with his fellow musicians of that time as he was with his literary colleagues later on. Maybe he failed to realize that a music career can depend as much on forming relationships with the right people at the right time as any other career. He certainly didn't repeat that mistake when he shifted from performance to music criticism!

It's true Crouch had respect for Ornette Coleman and Don Ellis, and he also dug Charlie Haden. Truth is, there were fakers who were just making noise while trying to pass it off as "jazz", but like everything else, the practitioners policed their own form and the genuine musicians eventually rose to the top.

What bothered me was that Crouch often dismissed players who were avant-garde without really being so out there that one wondered if they were for real or not. Hence why players like Keith Jarrett were alienated by the attitude of the neo-boppers. I can't understand why a guy who dug Charlie Haden enough to write liner notes for one his recordings would just waive off Jarrett's Standards Trio as a footnote before the arrival of Wynton Marsalis, but everybody is entitled to their tastes and opinions, I guess.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
khedger wrote:
I refused to legitimize his work because of his total denigration of modern and avante garde jazz, which was not only incorrect, but particularly galling from someone who presented himself as an avange garde drummer in the '60s. As I said, a total hypocrite. If I was going to read anybody in the voice it would have been Nat Hentoff.

keith

I don't know about 'total' denigration..as he was highly complimentary of Ornette Coleman and Don Ellis, to name a few. Otoh, one of the most prominent modern player that didn't fare as well was Lester Bowie. A career built on the avante garde, highlighted and set off in a white labratory coat to emphasize the goal of invention, he gets credit for being musical while using half-valve effects almost every bar.. Many did it for effect, but rarely to that degree. Not far removed from a player on stage with a bucket of cement next to him, and every few seconds, pour into the end of the bell.

https://youtube-cutter.org/video/3_AdomA67

____

Excellent case in point - Bowie was one of the most innovative trumpet players of the 20th century and Crouch was too biased to get it. Someone who, in the late 20th and early 21st centuries who will happily go on ad nauseum about the virtues of Armstrong and Ellington and totally miss the significance of people like Bowie, AEC, AACM, Braxton, et al does not deserve to be lauded with the attention and admiration that a buffoon like Crouch received. Don't get me wrong, I love Pops and Ellington and all of the great figures from the history of jazz, but that history didn't stop in 1965....

keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: