• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stuck 2nd Valve Slide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Stuck 2nd Valve Slide Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been dealing with a slightly sticky upstroke on the 2nd valve of my horn. I ended up taking the horn to a tech who checked the alignment of the second valve, the alignment and roundness of the casing, and did some light lapping on the valve. After getting the horn back I've noticed that the 2nd valve slide appears to be stuck. Weirdly enough it looks to be stuck slightly out from full insertion, but I neither push the slide all the way into place nor remove it from the horn. Even stranger is that the top of the slide looks to be slightly further out than the bottom.

I've tired removing the valve to get some extra leverage on the slide and have tried putting a cloth through the slide for some extra leverage, but neither attempt has yielded any results. I've also let some valve oil soak into where the tubes meet between the slide and valve block, but unfortunately that has not helped either. The slide was working fine prior to taking the horn in, so I'm very surprised that this has popped up.

Is there anything else worth trying before hauling the horn off to another tech to have it taken care of?

I've also noticed a few other things that I'm slightly worried about. While the work does seem to have stopped the sticking of the valve, the valve now feels and sounds much more 'frictiony' and less smooth. While valves 1 and 3 slide into the casing super smoothly and silently, valve 2 doesn't feel nearly as smooth - it feels like it's making a bit of contact with something when inserting and cycling the valve.

I've also started to see some grey deposits coming out of the bottom caps for valves 1 and 3 (not really seeing them coming from valve 2). Is this something I should be additionally worried about? I'm considering holding off playing the horn until I can get someone else to look at it to avoid exacerbating any issues.

Any help is much appreciated.

Here are a few photos highlighting what's going on:

Grey debris from valve bottom caps:

A couple angles of the slide:

Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One conservative thing to try is this: pull fairly hard while twisting. Twist one way then twist the other way while pulling the whole time. Do 50 or more cycles this way. Next, try rocking the slide perpendicular to the legs while pulling. Do many cycles of rocking. Then do the same but parallel to the slide tubes. This method works because there may be a tiny movement too small to feel but enough to make progress. Beyond that, a soft cord or twill tape can be used to jerk it, but with the risk of pulling the soldered ferrules apart from the tubing.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description I would guess that the horn wasn’t cleaned well after lapping. The gray could be the compound residue moving from the connecting tubes. The second valve crook is also probably stuck because of grit.

I would caution trying too much to resolve this yourself. If one leg loosens up you could distort or destroy the crook.

The shop should be able to resolve this but if it were me I would be hesitant to give them anymore work.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run a strip of cloth between the tubes so that each of the ends sticks out about a foot. Holding the ends, give a series of short, sharp tugs. The slide should pop out, but make sure it does not fly off and hit something.

Steve
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1: before anything else, take the pistons out, caps off, clean out the casings as well as you can, and then clean the whole horn. Lapping compound will keep chewing away at the casing with every movement of the piston otherwise.

Step 2: take the horn to a better tech.

When valves go from working to not, something has happened. The casing did not magically grow more brass, so lapping, which is a technique used to artificially wear the casing to seat new tight valves, is just making the valves leak more until there is so much room they move free. It should be the action of last resort, and only to specifically address some other trauma that has deformed the casing, recognizing that the valves will not be as tight as they once were.

When did the slide last move free? Was it after you started having issues with the valve sticking, or before? That slide is indeed not sitting straight on either axis - it looks like it got smacked right about at the nib.

Take this horn to someone who will look for the cause of your initial issue, not just sand away metal till things slop around free - that tech will also get the slide free and determine the extent of repair needed there.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Step 1: before anything else, take the pistons out, caps off, clean out the casings as well as you can, and then clean the whole horn. Lapping compound will keep chewing away at the casing with every movement of the piston otherwise.

Step 2: take the horn to a better tech.

When valves go from working to not, something has happened. The casing did not magically grow more brass, so lapping, which is a technique used to artificially wear the casing to seat new tight valves, is just making the valves leak more until there is so much room they move free. It should be the action of last resort, and only to specifically address some other trauma that has deformed the casing, recognizing that the valves will not be as tight as they once were.

When did the slide last move free? Was it after you started having issues with the valve sticking, or before? That slide is indeed not sitting straight on either axis - it looks like it got smacked right about at the nib.

Take this horn to someone who will look for the cause of your initial issue, not just sand away metal till things slop around free - that tech will also get the slide free and determine the extent of repair needed there.
GOOD ADVICE
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice - lots of good stuff there. It does look likely that some lapping compound wasn't cleaned off after the work - that would also explain why the slide got stuck in this weird position. I've had good experiences with this tech in the past so I'm very surprised that the horn ended up like this after the most recent work.

I do plan on taking it to a different tech to have it evaluated - I've only played the horn for an hour or two after the work, but the possibility of lapping compound remaining on the valve certainly does not make me feel good. There's also a few millimeter wide scuff on the inside bottom of the 2nd valve casing (I'm guessing from a mandrel clipping it), so it certainly looks like not everything went perfectly smoothly with the work.

OldSchoolEuph - I picked up the horn used. For the first month or so after getting the horn there was a bit of sticking across all three valves, but after that the valves seem to break-in to my habits and were running well enough. The 2nd valve slide has been working fine since the day I got the horn.

A while back I took the horn to the same tech that did the current repair to check the valve alignment. The tech made some tweaks and found a spacer under the 2nd valve stem that was causing it to sit at an angle. He adjusted the spacer setup so that the valve stem would no longer be angled. Since then, the second valve has been sticking slightly on the upstroke, which is what caused me to return to see if that could be remediated. Throughout this period the 2nd valve slide worked completely fine.

Since it sounds like the past work may have created some additional issues for the horn, I'm wondering if it would be best to leave the horn as-is (not playing it obviously) before taking it to another tech? In the event more substantial damage has occurred (such as notable wear on the 2nd valve due to lapping residue) I feel I would have an easier time backing up my complaints if another tech saw the situation firsthand. I'm guessing there shouldn't be any issues with leaving the horn like this for a week or two, right? Obviously I won't be playing it for that time.

Thanks for the help.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
. I'm guessing there shouldn't be any issues with leaving the horn like this for a week or two, right? Obviously I won't be playing it for that time.

I would be cautious. lapping compound is an abrasive solid suspended in some medium. It might be a long-stable lubricant with precision abrasive, or Byron Autrey used to mix fine pumice with water as he needed it. The later would obviously turn to cement fairly quick.

I would clean it asap - take pictures first if you want evidence.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
Hi all,

I've tired removing the valve to get some extra leverage on the slide and have tried putting a cloth through the slide for some extra leverage, but neither attempt has yielded any results.[/img]

Never, never, never put stress on the casing with the valve removed. Having the valve in the casing helps the casing hold its shape.

Phoenix864 wrote:

A while back I took the horn to the same tech that did the current repair to check the valve alignment. The tech made some tweaks and found a spacer under the 2nd valve stem that was causing it to sit at an angle. He adjusted the spacer setup so that the valve stem would no longer be angled. Since then, the second valve has been sticking slightly on the upstroke, which is what caused me to return to see if that could be remediated.

Take the finger button off the second valve. Only the finger button. With the valve in the casing push it down by pushing on the valve stem. Watch it slowly slide down through the hole in the valve cap. Does it touch the cap at any time during the descent?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have a lot of issues with your horns. That's unfortunate, and I'm sorry to hear that.

Get a good tech and good luck.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
You seem to have a lot of issues with your horns. That's unfortunate, and I'm sorry to hear that.

Get a good tech and good luck.

I wont rub salt in the wounds, because I really feel for the OP.

That being said, I advise the OP to consider that such a string of misfortunes, with quality brands as far as we have heard, is NOT typical of the experience. Looking for new guidance and questioning the possible paths that may have contributed to such misfortune would be a beneficial introspection (and maybe a bit of external critical analysis would go even further).

It shouldn't be this rough. Something is wrong. Recognizing that is the first step to making things right.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
I wont rub salt in the wounds, because I really feel for the OP.

That being said, I advise the OP to consider that such a string of misfortunes, with quality brands as far as we have heard, is NOT typical of the experience. Looking for new guidance and questioning the possible paths that may have contributed to such misfortune would be a beneficial introspection (and maybe a bit of external critical analysis would go even further).

It shouldn't be this rough. Something is wrong. Recognizing that is the first step to making things right.

I just wanted to say, that I didn't intend my post to be any salt in wounds. I just seem to vaguely recall that there have been between several and many threads by the OP on issues - and I'll echo OldSchool here and agree that this is not normal.

I've played trumpet for .... maybe 35 years (I'm not going to do the math) and have a lot of horns. They haven't been a problem free 35 years. My biggest issue is when my trusty Yamaha 6335 that had carried me from 9th grade through college to playing pretty regularly around town in ensembles started to have unworkable valve issues due to uneven wear - apparently not an uncommon thing with Yamahas of my era according to my trusty tech. But, I didn't need a valve job, he just gave me better oil.

I've had some minor valve issues after this, but they have been workable with self cleaning and trying other oils. Sure, there have been minor repairs for dents and one of my students knocked my Yamaha off the stand once - resulting it never being used for teaching again. But, honestly, your constant issues in whatever time span you've posted them are more than I deal with in a decade - FWIW. Also, being someone who knows more than a few trumpet players, generally things are much more like what I go through than what you seem to have to deal with.

I wish you the best.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry: Thanks for the info - yeah, unfortunately I didn't think about that when I pulled and valve and tried to remove the slide. It makes total sense though. I guess I'll just have to see how bad it is when I take the horn to a tech. Fortunately, I'm not one to really wail on a horn. It also doesn't look like the valve stem is rubbing on the valve cap.

OldSchoolEuph: I appreciate the advice - I gave the block and valves a clean up and fortunately found that nothing seemed to be sticking too badly. I'll ask the tech to have a closer look at the connecting tubes in the valve block to be sure that everything is out.

Crazy Finn/OldSchoolEuph: Yeah, my luck with horns doesn't seem to have been great. I definitely see where you're coming from (ie if everything is going wrong around you maybe you need to have a look a what you're doing).

Certainly some of my issues can be attributed to poor decision making (purchasing this horn could fall under that category), though others seem to be more related to poor luck - getting a swab stuck in a leadpipe just after lockdown started, having a highly regarded tech somehow botching what should have been straightforward work, etc.

Regardless, I think things are looking up once I get this horn sorted. My Schagerl Bb has been largely trouble-free for the near-year I've owned it, and has not been showing any signs of changing - once I get this horn get sorted (Larson C) I hope to have a good while of trouble-free performance.

My largest hurtle for now is just to find a good tech. I really though I had found "the one" with the tech who did this work - I've only heard good things about their work. But, after this debacle I guess I'll need to keep looking.
Miketpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a hairdryer.

Mike
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miketpt wrote:
Try a hairdryer.

Mike

Out of curiosity what would the hairdryer be used for? Not challenging just cannot think what purpose it would serve.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat can (sometimes) free a stuck slide.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Heat can (sometimes) free a stuck slide.

Duh! (Slaps forehead)

The only thing I could think of was drying out the polishing compound and making it into cement.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
My largest hurtle for now is just to find a good tech. I really though I had found "the one" with the tech who did this work - I've only heard good things about their work. But, after this debacle I guess I'll need to keep looking.

Robb Stewart [Arcadia, CA]
Mark Metzler [Elkhart, IN]
Jim Becker [Acton, MA]
Tim Holmes [Lincoln Park, MI]
Rich Ita [Marietta, GA]
Dan Oberloh [Seattle WA]
Josh Landress [New York, NY]
BAC Music Center [Kansas City, MO]
Charlie Melk [Griffin, GA]
Steve Winans [Lemont, IL]

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: