• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Google Play Music migration to YouTube Music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Google Play Music migration to YouTube Music Reply with quote

Tangential to the "How do you listen to music?" thread.

I have enjoyed having my entire music library on Google Play Music so that I could hear a specific album or recording on multiple devices in multiple locations. I recognize the most popular practice now is to stream through different vendors, and I do utilize Pandora from time to time.

I attempted the transfer process from Google Play Music to YouTube Music but I must have done something wrong, as I received the "transferred" message (rather quickly, I thought) but could not find any of my music in the Library tab.

Anyone have similar experience or possible solutions?
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I just downloaded my music onto my own hard drive and dumped Google. Wish I could dump that damn company for everything else, too.

Anyway, I have discovered Qobuz and am quite happy with it!
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sad. Thanks for your response. My fall back position is going to be just rotate my music through the micro SD card on my phone. I also have an "ancient" 8GB Sony Walkman that I use when I am running.
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked on my computer because I always listen on my phone, but the in the android Youtube Music app go to library, down on the bottom right. Now under each category, artist, album, etc, there's a new tab up towards the top for "uploads" and that's where your Google Music uploads are.

I LOVE Youtube Music! When I started being interested in jazz I subscribed. Anything I look for, it's there, back to the dawn of recording. For jazz it's an amazing resource far beyond the normal Youtube videos or any other source I have found, thanks to it being partially built on people's uploads of their own (obscure) record collections. I didn't subscribe to any music app before, but it's the best ten bucks a month I spend.

If you've only seen the public Youtube video player, you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg! The music app has full albums, but also listings by player where you can go and put on hours of one player, or of music similar to that player. or playlists by style. It's an amazing resource for someone who wants to do something like listening to nothing but Lee Morgan for a week, then move on to some other subject like 20s Jazz recordings. I've been using it to inform myself on the whole history of jazz and the individual players.

Last edited by mdarnton on Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went to the computer browser Youtube.com page. On the upper right is a checkerboard menu of apps, and hitting "Youtube Music" opens the appropriate app. Again, if you go to Library, just under the "playlists/albums/songs/artists/subscriptions" line there's a small dropdown where "uploads" appears, and you are into your own collection.

Of course you need to be signed in for this all to work--otherwise it won't know whose collection to look for.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use whatever format puts the most musicians out of work the fastest.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Youtube wins then because all of the ones I listen to there are dead! Can't be more out of business than that!
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
Just went to the computer browser Youtube.com page. On the upper right is a checkerboard menu of apps, and hitting "Youtube Music" opens the appropriate app. Again, if you go to Library, just under the "playlists/albums/songs/artists/subscriptions" line there's a small dropdown where "uploads" appears, and you are into your own collection.

Of course you need to be signed in for this all to work--otherwise it won't know whose collection to look for.

Super, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the assist.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I migrated to Youtube Music for lack of a better option. I asked friends on FB for suggestions and specifically said I don't stream music. All the answers I got were for streaming services.

I stumbled across Samsung Music Player last night. I downloaded it and it worked smoothly and easily right off the bat. Immediately dumped Youtube.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
I migrated to Youtube Music for lack of a better option. I asked friends on FB for suggestions and specifically said I don't stream music. All the answers I got were for streaming services.

This was also my experience with a Google search. Finally figured out that the TH family would similarly have robust personal music libraries for which they would want access!

heh... Case in point: spent part of yesterday afternoon dubbing Maynard Ferguson "Jam Session" (1954) from a recently acquired LP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: