• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Observations after 2 1/2 months.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikepodorski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Observations after 2 1/2 months. Reply with quote

I've been back at the trumpet after 20 plus years for almost 3 months. The last week and a half or so have shown some of the most improvement. Here are some of my observations.

1. I have been over analyzing my embouchure. My mouth has changed significantly since I last played, so I've been freaking out about starting correctly. I've tried to move the mouthpiece twice, only to realize it was pretty solid to start with (not to high or low, fairly centered, and not playing in the red). Since I have stopped obsessing, things are much improved.

2. Breath control is way harder than I remember. I am physically fit with good lung capacity, so I thought it would be easy to get breathing correctly. I was taking in too much air and getting backed up. I am gradually getting the right balance, and an open and unrestricted flow with control, all which have greatly improved my tone and endurance.

3. My ear needs a comeback as well. I haven't strayed from music completely. I have played guitar pretty much since I stopped trumpet. Guitar does not require the ability to hear a note correctly to make sure it is right, you just play it and the instrument does it for you. Definitely not the case for trumpet. I'm starting to hear and be able to correct as I play again.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, just some reflection on a relaxing Lord's day.
anotherdave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Observations after 2 1/2 months. Reply with quote

mikepodorski wrote:
3. My ear needs a comeback as well. I haven't strayed from music completely. I have played guitar pretty much since I stopped trumpet. Guitar does not require the ability to hear a note correctly to make sure it is right, you just play it and the instrument does it for you. Definitely not the case for trumpet. I'm starting to hear and be able to correct as I play again.

Hi Mike! Have definitely felt this re: tuning too. I don't know if it's my ear or my lips though — I feel like I know I'm playing particularly flat (especially on the low notes), which I guess is step 1: admitting you have a problem

I was primarily a cornet player before my break and never remember the notes being that out of tune before, but I reckon that I just don't remember the stage where I didn't know any better and by the time my ear had developed for it, I was playing reasonably well.

Another thing is that I used to play regularly with other brass players, which I think helped me naturally tune to. I wonder what's the best way of replicating something like that in solo practice?

As a rookie question — is playing along to a recording likely to help, does anyone know? Or is it possible that that's at the wrong pitch? I know sometimes playing guitar along to a record seems like it's tuned a slight bit higher (e.g. < semitone). Don't want to develop bad habits from it.

How are you finding things now after another (almost) 2 months?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: