• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mute bag

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SchilkeQueen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Mute bag Reply with quote

I have a Torpedo classic with the mute bag clipped on it. The case is great, but the mute bag is literally a nylon bag with no protection whatsoever. Are there mute bags that are padded or have a sturdy exterior so the mutes don't get dented if the case gets hit or jostled around?
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a tool bag for years. The one I use is a specialty bag from a particular supplier that was given to me at a workshop for their product. However, Home Depot and Lowe's along with specialty tool suppliers have a variety of tool bags to choose from. They are sturdy, usually have shoulder straps, are extremely durable, and offer great protection for your contents.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a protec trombone mute bag after reading reviews here. However, I have found that the bag only does a good job of clumping the mutes, not protecting them.

I now use an empty slot in my triple case to hold my mutes. The intent of the case was to use it for a Bb, C and flugel. But my gigs really don't require a C so I just use that slot for my mutes, etc.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Protec mute bags are great. They will hold a straight, cup, harmon, plunger, and practice, with some space left over and additional pockets.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this ProTec one, though I got it at a discount. It's nice.

https://www.protecstyle.com/TRUMPET-MUTE-BAG-WITH-MODULAR-WALLS
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardware store tool bag - sturdy, wide-mouthed, cheap

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is an old, cheap, camera gadget bag. A heavy duty nylon, the only thing I added was a thin foam layer on the bottom (but it wasn't necessay).

I also have a Protec mute bag, the one with the dividers, which I don't use as often - I find it less flexible, ultimately carries less stuff. When I do use it I often just remove the dividers.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mute bag Reply with quote

SchilkeQueen wrote:
I have a Torpedo classic with the mute bag clipped on it. The case is great, but the mute bag is literally a nylon bag with no protection whatsoever. Are there mute bags that are padded or have a sturdy exterior so the mutes don't get dented if the case gets hit or jostled around?

I have all kinds of mute bags that I've collected, including many listed here...the Harbor Freight tool bag is a great value. Even for my pro bags with separators for individual mutes, what I do is wrap each mute in a microfiber rag to keep them from collecting dings and double-up in each compartment. You could continue to use what you have and just wrap them. Microfiber rags in bulk are less expensive than many bags on the market.

Oh, yeah...some people actually like dents and dings in their Harmon mute, particularly. They'll drop a new one a few times just to "break them in," so I understand. It supposedly affects the sound in a positive way. I guess the only way to prove that would be for the individual to buy two identical ones, drop one of them several times, and let the play-testing begin.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProTec isn’t a bad choice, but it’s mostly a bag that’s an ideal size for mutes. Mine has started to fall apart.

Though not often, I sometimes needed something with space for more mutes. I picked up a cheap camera bag that works very well. It’s usually more than I need, but it’s light and has moveable dividers. Can even fit a small folder for sheet music/iPad.
zoeymiler45

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also bought a protec trombone mute bag from coupon codify, there are varieties of mute bags are available there, if you still need then I recommend you to check on there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: