• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New member introduction (first post)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamiczka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: New member introduction (first post) Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am quite new member here and I thought that it would be nice to introduce myself a bit in my first post. There are specific threads on some forums to do so but I didn't find any here so I created mine.

I come from Czech Republic and play the trumpet for more than 25 years. My first trumpet was lend to me from music school and it was old Amati rotary-valve flugelhorn. After that I had 2 more trumpets from the school. It was Amati or Lidl (both Czech manufacturers) I don't remember exactly.

My first privately owned trumpet is Amati 602 II (my parents bought me that one around 2002). It was introduced as semi-pro horn. It is lightweight instrument, lacquered, ML bore with reversed lead pipe. It has nice opened darker sound, reasonable slotting and is well responsive in both low and high register.

In the meantime I bought two more instruments by myself. Second hand Besson 1000 (trumpet made in India by Besson) and Amati piston flugelhorn. I sold both after couple of years because i didn't like the sound.

I had couple years pause recently and get back to trumpet few month ago. To have more motivation for practice and to move forward I purchased second hand B&S Challenger 3137 GL. There are tons of info about this horn so no need to introduce it. I like it, it has far better compression than my old Amati and better slotting. I like the sound also, it is more focused and brighter then Amati according to my ears I have some issues with the top register. My highest note is tripple E (sometimes F or G but E is for sure) but it is hard to get over D for some reason. With Amati I don't have that issue.

In terms of mouthpieces I started with 7A or 7B that I received from the school, after that I switched to 7C that came with my new Amati and quite fast change it for Bach 3C that I kept or many years. Than I had a chance to buy set of 6 different mouthpieces so I started experimenting - Greg Black 1C, Yamaha GP 16c4, some Bach3c equivalents, ... and my final choice Bob Reeves 43N rim with 43C backbore.

There were 3 mouthpieces that came to me with B&S so I started experimenting again. I was quite surprised with performance on Bach 7EW replica so I decided to buy something more shallow and give it a try. I have couple mouthpieces on the way right now including Parduba 5 that I wanted to try for a long time but I didn't have a chance yet.

One last thing and my enthusiasm of last week. I found Connstellation 36b or 38b (not sure, seller didn't know what he is selling) from Elkhart era (according to serial it will be around 1965) on the local market that is on the way to her new home Wish me luck, photos were terrible and I know that condition will not be mint BUT price was great. It should arrive tomorrow or on Friday. I will post some photos.

I will appreciate any comments or even recommendations in terms of mouthpieces, vintage trumpets or where to find a good service in Europe etc.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a good taste in trumpets. Welcome to trumpetherald!
Lamiczka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome

I am super curious about Connstellation. I heard couple of recordings on youtube and I like the sound...but laptop speakers don't tell much. I am not much experienced with vintage trumpets but it is quite addictive. I already have couple of other candidates that I would like to try..will see.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH. It is nice to have enthusiastic trumpet players who are having fun and enjoying their horns. Can't help you with the Connstellation, but just wanted to say welcome.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Lamiczka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cgaii, thank you for your welcome.

Connie is at home already. I will post some photos today. I need to say that I have never seen such a dirty instrument. It was complete trash once it came to me I was almost afraid to touch it. Trumpet is OK and cleaned now but it will need some more love

Someone nickel plated all the parts that supposed to be only lacquer finished, first valve button is a bit bent but the biggest issue is compression. I will need to have valves nickel replated. I only don't know if there is someone good in europe who can do this...
Lamiczka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the photos and description in the new topic here
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155354
MarkBMpls

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamiczka wrote:

wow! Super cool horn - how's it holding up?
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamiczka wrote:

Thanks. Looks like you are getting it in shape.
callee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and I thought I might as well just post a greeting in this thread rather than starting a new one just for me!

I grew up in the Sally Ann and therefore started playing cornet shortly after I started breathing. Or maybe around age 10, one of the two.

I switched to trumpet in college when a prof loaned me his model 37 for a few years. I started flugal horn around the same time.
I toured with a few music groups, played in a few orchestras, and of course, during the '90's ska revival, a few Rock bands. The local highschool hired me to teach private lessons to junior players, and I found I really enjoyed teaching. It's a great chance to help someone else avoid the mistakes you made!

When my kids were born I kinda got away from playing. I'd pick up the horn every couple months just to make sure I could still buzz, but that's it.

About 2 years ago I picked it back up again with vigour. I play in a community concert band, orchestra, and various ad hoc ensembles. This year I started playing piccolo trumpet as well. I do the occasional paying gig and have hung my shingle up for teaching beginner lessons again, but don't have any students yet.

Over the years I've often found myself googling some random trumpet question, and often it's some really particular or obscure question, and I think "there won't be anything on the internet about this" , but surprise, there's always a thread about it on trumpet Herald! So I've always appreciated this forum, and am happy to finally join.

Thanks!

DEG cornet
getzen flugal horn
Bach strad model 37*
Schilke piccolo
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome @callee Sounds like you bring plenty of knowledge to impart to the group. I look forward to your contributions.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Trumpet Herald.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to both new members!

In about 4 1/2 hours I’ll be playing Auld Lang Syne during our NYE gig, here’s hoping 2021 is better than 2020 for everyone! 🎺🎉🍾

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: