• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BREAKTHROUGH!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikepodorski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: BREAKTHROUGH! Reply with quote

Returning to trumpet has been extremely humbling. Since I quit 25 years ago, I have had quite a bit of dental work so I am starting from scratch with my embouchure. Since I started back 4 months ago, I have been stressing about getting it right before I developed bad habits.

I distinctly remember the feeling of playing trumpet the first round. I would call it natural and easy flowing. Not every day was good, but definitely not like the fight I had most days this time. I have been progressing, but it has been a struggle, inconsistent, and far from natural.

I have watched and read a ton of stuff about embouchure techniques to a fault, second guessing everything. I stumbled across wilktone's videos about a month ago, which really helped my understand how an embouchure actually works. I bought a visualizer and a clear mouthpiece and did some self analysis. Trying to avoid playing in the red of my bottom lip (I wasn't actually on the red), I moved the mouthpiece down a while back, which made me play upstream in the higher register, but kind of flip around second line G. When I free buzz, I am definitely downstream. I decided to slowly move the mouthpiece back up with gradual improvements each time, focusing on playing downstream. Last night I ended up back to my original spot and everything opened up. It was like someone flipped a switch. Tonight, I played in that position and it was amazing! Tone was significantly better, my mouth and lip muscles didn't have to work as hard so my endurance was significantly better, and most importantly, that natural feeling was back.

Short story long, I had it right at the start and wasted 4 months to come to that conclusion.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, congratz man. May this be the start of many long hours of playing!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Hehe, congratz man. May this be the start of many long hours of playing!

Yes. Keep pressing on! (But don't press.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: