• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gigs during covid times...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick7b9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Gigs during covid times... Reply with quote

hey y'all, I'm not new, but never posted before. I'd like to put a horn not on the marketplace but need a post to do it.

so I figured I'd see what people are doing for gigs during covid times. Virtual gigs? Socially distant gigs? who's doing what?

I've had some work with some virtual big bands and decided to do the "Virtual wind band" (this one actually costs a few bucks, but early on it was good for keeping chops up, now its just fun).
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: funny handle, that got a chuckle out of me.

Regarding your question, here in NYC there are some playing/busking opportunities out there but to be totally honest I have just not felt like making a sustained effort to do live gigs. One of my favorite jam sessions moved their sessions outdoors so I did that a few times. But I mean, indoors is totally out of the question. I'm thankful I have a day job and don't really miss the extra scratch from my evening gigs.

I am taking a break right now from recording a video session of jazzy holiday tunes with my girlfriend to send to friends and family for the holidays since we're not going to get to see anyone in person. It's more than a little heartbreaking but it's been a fun project to keep occupied!

Good luck to everyone, particularly those that made the large part of their income from live performance.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing Copland Quiet City tonight and tomorrow matinee in Bemidji, MN. Small venue, very small group. Excerpt movements of Stravinski "L'historie" as well, Dumbarton Oaks (no brass.)

A couple more and you can get rid of that horn, too.
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an example if a “Virtual Gig” honoring Veterans and Service Members this past week for Veterans Day. I didn’t play in it but put together the Video Production end of it. The group consists of amateurs and this was put together outdoors without an audience, and with adherence to social distancing. This is a breakout group from the East Dennis, Massachusetts (Cape Cod) group, “The Sound Dunes Swing Ensemble”, under the direction of fellow trumpeter, Jim Stamboni.

https://youtu.be/BKpilS8otIA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: