• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1st and 3rd valve slides

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck's Committee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Slide Grease Reply with quote

I use antibiotic cream. It serves 2 purposes.
1949 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 bore
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 bore
1953 Martin Committee Cornet #2 bore
Do something with every note you play. Sometimes the rests are more important than the notes
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: 1st and 3rd valve slides Reply with quote

Lots of interesting choices. I tried mineral oil as a young one and due to my allergies reacted to it, who'd a known. After I got the Benge and was established as a big press operator I tried a chain lube that we used to get for our Heidelberg presses. About $70 dollars a liter and very heavy with the appearance of honey. When it was applied it would liquify and wow how smooth the slides worked. Other than that when I started playing in 5th grade the teacher said to use vaseline.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Hetmans and UltraPure products work great! Both companies make highly refined products from quality base stocks.

Quality base stocks increase the consistency of molecule chain length; this means that the products do not need a lot of chemical additives. Chemical additives deteriorate faster than the oil stocks themselves and tend to leave a dark discoloration on the brass. These stains tend to deteriorate slide performance as they build up.

Since my family has six horns in total and since each horn's slides move with different resistance and smoothness, I use a variety of viscosities from Hetmans and Ultrapure.

I have not yet tried the new UltraPure formulation for 1st and 3rd tuning slides:

https://www.ultrapureoils.com/product-page/ultra-pure-formula-1-3-tuning-slide-oil

Logically, on my tight tolerance slides, I give the nod to Hetmans slide oils over the UltraPure slide creams. Hetmans tends to discolor my slides slightly less. The jury remains out on the UltraPure 1-3 Tuning slide oil until I purchase some.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Lube products...

I have used this for years on my “fast” (fast-moving) slides:
Super Lube 51010 Oil Super Lube
• Available from Walmart automotive area and Amazon
• no odor, clear color (no staining), “needle” applicator, solid longevity (mix with a little valve oil (Ultra-Pure for me), usually lasts until next horn cleaning)

I like it for the low viscosity (less “thickness”) and a “needle” applicator, but I do mix a little valve oil when used on my fast slides.

This summer (June 2020), I corresponded with the company (super-lube.com), and the sales rep told me that they have two oils that are slightly lower in viscosity; this is the lowest:

https://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-extra-lightweight-oil

You cannot get it in the small bottle with the “needle” applicator, but it’s relatively inexpensive and requires only the slightest bit of valve oil to get the fast slides super fast. Again, the Super-Lube products have no color or odor, plus solid longevity, where a single application will often last until the next horn cleaning.
—————
For “slow” slides (traditionally, 2nd valve slide, tuning slide, mouthpipe/1st/2nd/4th slides on picc):
Super Lube 21030 Synthetic Grease
• Available from Amazon or directly from super-lube.com
• no odor, clear color (no staining), long-lasting
• viscosity similar to Vaseline
———————————————
I have even used pneumatic tool oil…very inexpensive at Harbor Freight. Low viscosity, but slight odor and may stain more so than the Super Lube products.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Super Lube products...

I have used this for years on my “fast” (fast-moving) slides:
Super Lube 51010 Oil Super Lube
• Available from Walmart automotive area and Amazon
• no odor, clear color (no staining), “needle” applicator, solid longevity (mix with a little valve oil (Ultra-Pure for me), usually lasts until next horn cleaning)

I like it for the low viscosity (less “thickness”) and a “needle” applicator, but I do mix a little valve oil when used on my fast slides.

—————
For “slow” slides (traditionally, 2nd valve slide, tuning slide, mouthpipe/1st/2nd/4th slides on picc):
Super Lube 21030 Synthetic Grease

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I use SuperLube synthetic grease, but didn't mention that I also use the liquid (the tube with the needle applicator) to thin the solid and I've carried it in my mute bag for years.

PTFE is Teflon. PTFE lubricants are "food grade" -- used a lot in the food industry, so that's a good thing. I won't cook with Teflon but it's OK on my horns.

-Denny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: