• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

So if you're stuck on a G above high C...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: So if you're stuck on a G above high C... Reply with quote

[/quote] I don't use a lot of pressure to play high when I'm fresh and practicing in a good environment. I can play very soft above High C. When I'm playing high I feel like my air stream is aimed high.[/quote]

Only because it must be to play higher.
Rod
Trollet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmch wrote:
Brad Goode likes to say that the "squeaks of today are the notes of tomorrow." Keep slowly tinkering with it, and be analytical about it: when something doesn't work, try changing one variable (diaphragm compression, engagement of embouchure muscles, tongue compression, mouthpiece pressure, maybe different mouthpiece setup, louder, softer, tongued, slurred, etc.) and see if that makes a difference. Then, when something does work, remember what you did and what it felt like. For me, a few things have helped me start unlocking that register in the past couple years: replacing throat tension with tongue compression, switching to small bore horns, a little leadpipe buzzing & skeleton mouthpiece buzzing, and very soft lip slurs and chromatic scales. The buzzing and the very soft slurs didn't make my chops "stronger" or anything, they helped me figure out how to use my body correctly in order to compress the air enough. I'm not a master of a of that register of the horn yet, but these efforts have led to some fun moments on gigs where you take a phrase up on octave and the whole band is surprised and we all giggle about it.

+1 that todays squeaks are tomorrows high notes. When i figured out how to squeak them out first, i slowly (over 2 years when i was like 14) build up the strenght and now i can play g nicely and double C if im not tired
Mpcs:
GR 64SZ* - and a bunch more
Bach 7FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: