• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Confessions of an old mean man

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Confessions of an old mean man Reply with quote

I have to confess: I have not performed the BE method as is requested.
Instead I have merely used the Roll outs 1-3 and Roll ins 1-3 mixed with
Advanced Lip Flexibilities, Double Tongue. Besides that I suspect that I have missed the brilliant underlying idea.
Why?
To make a long story short (well...)
Finding the BE I started out as was suggested – astonishing things began to happen, endurance, sound, the ability to use deep mouthpieces etc.. Quite overwhelming!
At the same time I one more time was occupying lead chairs, continuing front row, a lot of rather big musical demands coming in/up. Range seemed stuck at D above high C, most of the time but endurance kept becoming better and better. A rather intense musical period began – I had to practice all kinds of music while at the meantime
keeping up with the BE, Finally I guessed that I had to warm up much more, to be able to do the Roll Ins, practicing the difficult runs of the brass, fighting lead sheets in two big bands.
Many of the studies in the BE book seemed too rudimentary to me. After all I´ve played in bands since 1958….
How wrong I was……
Now, again in quarantine I have time….no gigs at sight, nothing musical going to happen in the foreseeable future.

I decided that I should start all over with the BE, performing it exactly as is written. No more no less. The routine after” 2-3 years”.
Guess what happens?! Today, day 6 in I started out roll outs 1-4 (difficult, lips swelling a bit but Eb above high C; then Crescendo (whole)Tongue on lips (all) then a pause , one hour; returning playing Roll Ins 1, 2, 3 starting at high C, done in a row!!!! 80 bpm…little pause then advanced lip flex up to E; then double tongue -followed by entire “Slavonic Rhapsody nr 2 (Friedman) score Denis Wright.
Oh my! I am astonished! I have a solid Eb above high C (like I had 45 years ago).

Deep down I have had a feeling that I have missed the basic idea of the BE, i.e. looking upon double tongue studies as studies of double tongue…..
What if all these studies, rather elementary for a guy who´s been playing more than 60 years, are devised not having the goal of say producing a nice double tongue as the end product but instead strengthening the aperture muscles, that part of the lips below one´s nose - while in the meantime also resulting in a fine double tongue, or attack in general???
If I´m wrong tell me so in plain language!

No, I repeat no need at all for additional warm up…..Better late than never…...
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Getzen Eterna Eb /M V 1 1/2 C/Schilke 14B
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1973) Selmer 2 D
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Seymor,

I think the main benefit you are getting in "starting over" is in changing around your routine and finding better ways to get your high chops working.

The "warm-up" is a huge variable among players.

For example, I knew a great player who performed best right after pulling the horn from the case. So, if you wanted him to play Maynard's Maria, put it first on the program. But another guy preferred to just beat the hell out of his chops for an hour, and then rest an hour, then perform. At that point, he was consistent to G above double C. Just remarkable.

These are extremes, of course. Most players fall somewhere in the middle. My own preference is to not get hung up on a long warmup. Over time, it can become a crutch. Find shorter solutions. In my experience, that applies to both commercial and orchestral players alike.

You are noticing some shift in your range.

When a player hits a range limit in BE, it is usually because of some specific thing that is not emphasized enough. In your case, I doubt that you are making some major error in your interpretation of BE. It is more likely something that you are easily overlooking. Maybe your current experiment will be enough to get the ball rolling again.

As I have mentioned before, I offer to analyze player videos for free. Sometimes the issue is easy to spot, and sometimes not. Sometimes it means shifting around your routine. But there is nothing to lose, as all it costs you is the time to make the video which illustrates the issue.

Hope you keep making progress in your current direction!

Jeff
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Jeff!
Yes I have been fiddling around with the BE - now not so - I have began to practice as you suggest - in the very order printed under the heading "2-3 years".
Not only do I notice changes in my range - but most of all a new sense of stability in my chops, the aperture feels so much stronger, more focussed.
Playing the Crescendo study is one example - I can feel how my lips stay more closely together instead of getting "blown apart". All the time focusssing on keeping the lips together.

Due to this terrible covid19 I am not haunted by gigs or concerts -instead using it to solidify. Think and rethink.
One of these days I will take advantage of your so generous offer and send you videos of my efforts. Not exactly rocket science to transmitt from my Iphone but not that easy either. Besides that I´m in quarantine, long from my ordinary computer.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Getzen Eterna Eb /M V 1 1/2 C/Schilke 14B
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1973) Selmer 2 D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: