• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

John Packer JP159 pocket trumpet experiences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: John Packer JP159 pocket trumpet experiences Reply with quote

Has anyone here owned and played that JP pocket trumpet for relatively long period of time? I mean over a year or longer?

This is a hobby instrument BUT I would expect it to last unlike many Chinese trumpets that according to numerous reports "play for one year and after that the valves... you name it... _freeze_, _wear out_, _get corroded_, etc. ".

One specification feature that makes this trumpet attractive is its Monel valve pistons.
I wonder if it's possible to successfully screw up Monel pistons so that they'll give up in 1 year of use like those Chinese "stainless steel pistons" that begin to corrode which is of course a big surprise: stainless steel = no corrosion.

Otherwise I wouldn't expect much from a $250 trumpet.

Here are couple links:
- First is the manufacturers site:
https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/prod/john-packer-jp159

- Second is a quick play test by Tim Battig on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0wD-VxNlY
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be the standard Chinese pocket which sells by a lot of different names. I own the same horn but of an older generation (?) with a 104 mm bell. I am not sure the valves are monel (I think stainless steel) anyway they function quite good and are still not corroded.
Mine is https://arnolds-sons.de/de/shop/trompete/atr-200/

It's possible that the quality of these horns is better when ordered by a big(ger) company like A&s or JP.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From first glance this has the typical wrap of the cheap Chinese pocket trumpets. I know nothing about the John Packer, but just judging from that, I would be suspicious.
Look at the difference between this wrap and the Carol Brass, Manchester Brass or Schagerl.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugelhorn: Taylor Standard
Natural/Baroque Tr: Altenburg (raw brass)
Bass Tr: Mack Brass stencil (SP)
arthurtwoshedsjackson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valves on the 159 that I owned froze if left to sit for more than a few days. I tried different brands of oil to no avail. I gave the horn away. Good riddance. Sorry.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurtwoshedsjackson wrote:
The valves on the 159 that I owned froze if left to sit for more than a few days. I tried different brands of oil to no avail. I gave the horn away. Good riddance. Sorry.

I searched the forum and imagine, in one of the recent threads the same problem as yours was reported in respect to the valve pistons: they freeze once this trumpet is stored for couple days without playing!
Here is that thread:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1580966

multiphonic wrote:
...The only nitpick is that the valves get stuck if the horn is stored for more than a few days. They can be freed once oiled from below, but it's a bit of a pain. I'm assuming that they weren't lapped properly. Perhaps they'll wear in over time.

He calls it a "nitpick". So - that's a feature, not a bug
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the valves freeze within a couple of days without playing, why do you have a problem w/that??? (HA)
https://yourbrass.com/
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
So the valves freeze within a couple of days without playing, why do you have a problem w/that??? (HA)

Maybe because they kind of need to be "broken in" every time you get the trumpet out?
Anyway there is something wrong with the oiled valves that get stuck after couple days. Don't you think so?
(I understand the joke about using a trumpet every couple days but remember this is a hobby instrument that's probably not supposed to be played every day).

Anyway, my Yamaha could be taken out of its case after couple months of not playing it and it was ready to go - no stuck valves.
Mind you, I don't mean I played trumpet with 2 month intervals but just mentioning that to emphasize there is definitely something wrong with those JP valves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: