• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benefits of a factory case?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bb Bob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Benefits of a factory case? Reply with quote

Greeting Fellow Trumpeters,

Looking for some input. I have a Schilke B6 trumpet and XA7 cornet. After just having the bell aligned on the cornet I’m considering buying a a Schilke Special Double or Triple case. My reasoning is that it might be more supportive of my instruments. I do have a Marcus Bonna Double and Triple, maybe add a little more padding or custom inserts can achieve the same results.

Am I being overly cautious? What are your thought?

Thanks for the advice.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would same aftermarket cases are better than factory cases. Factory cases tend to not hug the instruments and have wiggle room. Torpedo Bags it the most protective single case or an used Coyote for multiple horn. Wiseman are great too. I daily a Gard Elite double but I am careful and gentle with my stuff.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new schilke cases look a lot like the bach artisan ones, which have a reputation for bending bells upward. I think OP is better served by adding a few extra pads to his MB rather than shelling out for a case from Schilke. I would second the recommendation of Wiseman or TorpedoBags if you really wanted to try something different. Wiseman is a lot lighter than MB, and probably even more protective. Torpedo singles are lightweight, the multi case is a little heavy from what I've heard.

Schilke bells are pretty lightweight and therefore fragile (the issue is compounded by the bracing being so far back to accommodate the reverse leadpipe). I think the safest route would be to use a torpedo bag for the trumpet and cornet if the cornet will fit in one. A Marcus Bonna is probably fine (pretty much the standard choice for pros carrying multiple horns), just make sure they're snug in the case with no chance of knocking into one another.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your MB cases are great and should more than suffice. Just be sure there are pads under the bells and that the 1st & 3rd slides are secure. Those are great cases.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, it depends on how you're using your instrument, how well the case is designed, and how carefully you handle things.

Some companies have cases designed specifically for that instrument, some are just generic hard shell, and many top of the line don't supply a case.
I've had a case issues, where, for instance, the first valve slide was not held in place and could come off the trumpet, and would be loose bouncing around in transport.

Gig Bags, no matter how well made, are still gig bags. I you are the only one handling the case and it's not being bumped, they can be fine.

I always considered Sckilke mutliple cases to be pretty good, but you may have to add some extra padding for a cornet - aren't they build for trumpets?

Traveling (air travel), carrying in you car, teaching in a school, etc - all IMO have different needs and threats.
I generally store my horns in their OEM case (if they came with one) and then have a couple different things that meet my normal gig/rehearsal needs. (Messina Covers 2.5 for my Cornets, Protec 2 or 3 for trumpets-BQ or wind band reh, Pro Tec gig bag for trpt/flugel/mutes for big bands and pit orch.)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only new horn I've bought in a few years that came with a case was my Shires trumpet, whose case is remarkably tight and secure.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, factory hard cases that hold multiple instruments upright when open aren’t tall enough for a short cornet to fit in them.
Bb Bob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all that replied.

I am going to use the MB triple that I have. Maybe make a few custom foam inserts to support the bell and insure that the bell won’t get pushed into 3rd valve brace (again).

That is the damage that was present when I purchased it as an open box. You could barely see the dent but it prevented the 3rd valve slide from being removed. So, off it went to Osmuns for repair. While there I thought I would get an PVA too. Should have it back this coming week. Really looking forward to its return as I really enjoyed it the few days I had it before sending it.

Thanks again. Take care and stay healthy!
Bandcity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Schilke double case (3 years old) will not hold a cornet. The third valve of a cornet hits an immovable pad. A cornet is probably too tall as well. I was forced to buy a new trumpet to justify a double case so it solves the n +1 problem.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by Monette when I bought my trumpet to only use their case. Their case is specifically designed to keep stress off the trumpet while holding it in place.

I've used that as a guid when putting my Monette trumpet in aftermarket cases. When you close the lid on your MB case is it pushing on the trumpet? How hard? if not, does it leave room for the trumpet to move?

My Monette double case holds the trumpet firmly in place. I don't think the lid touches the trumpet. If it does, only a little.

Here is the reality: I never use my Monette single case. It's too nice on the outside and I play in rough places a lot. Outdoor concerts are the worst on the case. For a single case I use a Torpedo.

I almost never use the Monette double case. It's too heavy. I use my Bach quad a lot. I'm going to get a replacement for it but, never had a problem. I'm just not sure about stress on the trumpet. I'll probably get a Torpedo case for multiple trumpets because the single case is so good.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
I found that the factory case that came with my Benge 8Z cornet creased the very lightweight bell. Sharp radius curve in the padded slot was responsible. I use a Gard bag now.
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the factory cases that came with my Bach Strads, and both instruments fit nicely, although the case have different configurations. The case for my older L180S72 (circa 1998) holds the horn on it's side, and it has a lightly padded fuzzy cover built in, which is laid over the horn before closing the top. It's done a lot of traveling, and both the case and the horn have held up well.
The 19043 is relatively new, and the case holds the instrument with the buttons up. There is no internal cover, but the padding seems to have been installed with this horn in mind, because it holds the horn very securely, while it is not hard to remove the horn from the case. Both cases have room for a mute or two and some cleaning supplies. They are not light, but there's the tradeoff when you use a hard case. I owned a Marcus Bonne single case for a short while, and while it was well made, I just didn't feel that either horn was really secure. I ended up trading it away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: