• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet/Cornet/Flugel advice for Tuba Player

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tizzdizz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Trumpet/Cornet/Flugel advice for Tuba Player Reply with quote

I'm thinking about picking up a new horn and wanted some experienced advice.

My first instrument was trumpet, and I switched to Tuba in middle school. I picked it back up a couple years ago, but really haven't played regularly. I would like to, but the 2 horns I have are a beat up Getzen 300 with a crinkled bell and sticky valves, and a 1934 peashooter Conn Vocabell. Neither of these are very forgiving or fun to play.

So, as a low brass player, I doubt I'll really do much high range stuff, but I'd like something that sounds warm and open, and slots nicely. I think you have experience with all 3 horn types. What do you think? I'm thinking about an Austin Custom Brass doubler cornet or flugel, since I have the peashooter to cut through if I ever need that. I don't have a huge budget, but want to get something that isn't garbage.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some great prior discussions on what trumpet to buy for comeback players or those doubling. I think a lot of the advice boils down to:
-If you are just coming back, any good modern student trumpet will probably suit you fine (Getzen, Bach, Yamaha, Jupiter, etc.).
-If you pretty well know what you want you may want to go with a classic pro trumpet (Bach Strad, Yamaha Xeno).
-There are also a lot of just great trumpets out there. ACB would be great. I've gotten into Taiwanese trumpets (Carol, Jupiter).

I've said before that I buy opportunistically. In the marketplace someone's selling a Jupiter 1602 for cheap, there's also a lot of Bachs up now. Happy playing!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet/Cornet/Flugel advice for Tuba Player Reply with quote

tizzdizz wrote:
So, as a low brass player, I doubt I'll really do much high range stuff, but I'd like something that sounds warm and open, and slots nicely. I think you have experience with all 3 horn types. What do you think? I'm thinking about an Austin Custom Brass doubler cornet or flugel, since I have the peashooter to cut through if I ever need that. I don't have a huge budget, but want to get something that isn't garbage.

Moneywise, it's probably cheaper to get either a cornet or trumpet. Decent vintage (Conn, Olds, etc.) trumpets/cornets can be bought for around $100-300 but you do need to test them to avoid getting a bad one. Flugelhorns on the other hand, often seem to have intonation issues...especially the cheap ones (Mahillon, Armati, brandless $100-$300 range). Supposedly their intonation is very finnicky so if you want one that plays decently, you're looking $700 or more. The ACB doubler flugelhorn you mentioned does have a good reputation iirc, as does ACB themselves.

Another thing to try is giving your Getzen 300 a good maintenance. I've recently cleaned my old Getzen, loosened the valve caps so they weren't on super tight, oiled the valves and greased the slides (this is not just to make them move, but also to 'seal the air gaps') and the result was huge! I don't know if that'll work for your trumpet but given that all it costs is a little manual labor, I'd say it's worth a try.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where will you be playing this warm and open, well-slotting instrument?
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to HTWT re the Taiwanese horns, particularly Carol Brass (I have not played Jupiter)...great value for money. Carol valve blocks are used by many high-end builders in USA/Europe and for good reason.

If you are interested in ACB, consider the extra cost for their 'Manchester Brass' line. Trent confirms it is made in Taiwan by Hoxon Gakki, who also make Carol as their primary brand. I'm not sure why ACB wants different branding as Carol is pretty well established by now; perhaps they have made some changes to the horns--a couple of the wraps do look different.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to, but the 2 horns I have are a beat up Getzen 300 with a crinkled bell and sticky valves, and a 1934 peashooter Conn Vocabell.

I'll take that pesky Conn Vocabell off your hands.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:
+1 to HTWT re the Taiwanese horns, particularly Carol Brass (I have not played Jupiter)...great value for money. Carol valve blocks are used by many high-end builders in USA/Europe and for good reason.

If you are interested in ACB, consider the extra cost for their 'Manchester Brass' line. Trent confirms it is made in Taiwan by Hoxon Gakki, who also make Carol as their primary brand. I'm not sure why ACB wants different branding as Carol is pretty well established by now; perhaps they have made some changes to the horns--a couple of the wraps do look different.

We wanted exclusive rights to our instrument designs with them and price structure (as it's all over the place with the CB dealers/distributors). Any other questions?

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet/Cornet/Flugel advice for Tuba Player Reply with quote

tizzdizz wrote:

My first instrument was trumpet, and I switched to Tuba in middle school. I picked it back up a couple years ago, but really haven't played regularly. I would like to, but the 2 horns I have are a beat up Getzen 300 with a crinkled bell and sticky valves, and a 1934 peashooter Conn Vocabell. Neither of these are very forgiving or fun to play.

Please give us a call we can set you up with a great trumpet at any budget. 816-410-0826

Welcome to the TH!

-T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
tizzdizz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Quote:
I would like to, but the 2 horns I have are a beat up Getzen 300 with a crinkled bell and sticky valves, and a 1934 peashooter Conn Vocabell.

I'll take that pesky Conn Vocabell off your hands.

Thanks for the offer - A friend gave it to me, and I'm kind of attached to it, but if I ever need to sell I'll let you know. It needs a little work, but is very playable.
tizzdizz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet/Cornet/Flugel advice for Tuba Player Reply with quote

austincustombrass wrote:
tizzdizz wrote:

Please give us a call we can set you up with a great trumpet at any budget. 816-410-0826

Welcome to the TH!

-T

Thank you Trent - I've been watching a number of your videos and have read lots of praise for ACB horns and service. I will definitely do so when I'm ready to pull the trigger (probably after the holidays).
tizzdizz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will probably mostly be using it for home recordings, small brass groups, etc. My brother plays trombone, and I'd like to blend with him and make some nice harmonies, which is why I'm keen on a softer, warmer sound.

My price range is around $400-750. Back when things were open, I tried a bunch of trumpets and actually had really good luck with the Yamaha 4335 trumpet. So I'm kinda tempted by their similar Cornet. But I keep lusting after flugels for some silly reason.

Definitely looking at the Manchester stuff too. Well, plenty of time to window shop for now.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tizzdizz wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I will probably mostly be using it for home recordings, small brass groups, etc. My brother plays trombone, and I'd like to blend with him and make some nice harmonies, which is why I'm keen on a softer, warmer sound.

My price range is around $400-750. Back when things were open, I tried a bunch of trumpets and actually had really good luck with the Yamaha 4335 trumpet. So I'm kinda tempted by their similar Cornet. But I keep lusting after flugels for some silly reason.

Definitely looking at the Manchester stuff too. Well, plenty of time to window shop for now.

We have plenty of stuff in your budget. When you're ready we'll be ready for you!

Cheaper than a 6/4 Tuba that's for sure!

Best,
T

Cool Links here:
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’ll get more versatility out of a nice cornet, and a better selection of really mellow mouthpieces for them. The short model cornets are really agile and fun to play, and they are usually slightly cheaper than a comparable trumpet.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Cornet or trumpet Reply with quote

I would recommend a cornet too. Are you looking to buy at the top of your range or the bottom?
The professional cornets have a 1st slide thumb ring or trigger and 3rd slide fixed ring or trigger. Personal preference on the rings or trigger. Do you want silverplated or lacquer finish?
Is resale value important to you? One of the best non professional cornet I owned was a Jupiter 520 M cornet 2005. I bought it for under $180.00 excluding delivery and taxes. Wasn't good cornet for resale.
A Yamaha, Bach, Getzen intermediate or professional cornet has great resale value.
jrd19580

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet/Cornet/Flugel advice for Tuba Player Reply with quote

tizzdizz wrote:

Lots of great answers so far!

I too am a converted lower brass player (Baritone and Trombone) and I took up trumpet to play in church and to use with our Local Military Honor Guard. Don't sell yourself short, with consistent practice on a horn that fits you, you will be able to play high notes if that is something you want to do. I would go to a store and try the trumpets that fit your budget, trust me this can be an expensive venture trying to find the right one with out help. I hired a pro teacher right away and he has helped me to learn a bunch. Also he is able to hear my sound at the end of the bell that matters and give me honest feedback. I have gone through a lot of horns to find THE ONE! I could have saved a ton of money by going to a music store and trying all the horns out!

Trent Austin is good people and he has an incredible assortment of horns, if you are anywhere near him it would be worth the trip to visit the store in person and play test the horns. If I had it to do over again that is what I would have done!

From one lower brass player to another....

All the best to you!

John
jrd19580

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet/Cornet/Flugel advice for Tuba Player Reply with quote

tizzdizz wrote:

Lots of great answers so far!

I too am a converted lower brass player (Baritone and Trombone) and I took up trumpet to play in church and to use with our Local Military Honor Guard. Don't sell yourself short with consistent practice on a horn that fits you, you will be able to play high notes if that is something you want to do. I would go to a store and try the trumpets that fit your budget, trust me this can be an expensive venture trying to find the right one with out help. I hired a pro teacher right away and he has helped me to learn a bunch. Also he is able to hear my sound at the end of the bell that matters and give me honest feedback. I have gone through a lot of horns to find THE ONE! I could have saved a ton of money by going to a music store and trying all the horns out!

Trent Austin is good people and he has an incredible assortment of horns, if you are anywhere near him it would be worth the trip to visit the store in person and play test the horns. If I had it to do over again that is what I would have done!

From one lower brass player to another....

All the best to you!

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: