• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Producing A Rich Flugel Tone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coloradomacs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Producing A Rich Flugel Tone Reply with quote

I'm wondering how I should work on my Flugelhorn playing to get the most deep rich tone possible. Any suggestions on what to practice and what to focus on to get that tone. I'd love to hear your favorite flugel players and favorite flugel pieces. I'm also interested to hear if you have any other types of tones you love and how to produce that tone.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be helpful if you told us what your gear is. If you're tying to get that trombone-esque sound on a horn designed for a light, French sound I don't think you'll get very far.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
coloradomacs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
It might be helpful if you told us what your gear is. If you're tying to get that trombone-esque sound on a horn designed for a light, French sound I don't think you'll get very far.

I have a Yamaha 631G and I play on a Bach 7CFL and 3CFL.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I always tell others when they’re striving for a certain sound is to have a solid and crisp concept of sound. Once you’ve established the exact concept of the sound you want (whether it’s a brilliant, resonant sound on the C or a fluffy, dark sound on flugel), you should constantly and actively be striving for it while playing.

Something that works for me when I play dark soft and fluffy is opening my aperture a bit more. That being said, different things work differently for different people, so experiment a little and see if you can find any instant sound changes. If not, over time, and with your sound concept, your sound will develop.

And as mentioned above, the right equipment will make a HUGE difference.

Good luck!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be happier with some other mouthpieces, I've never settled into a Bach Flugel piece for sound, Yamaha 14F4 or Curry.. but that you'll have to do some searching/investigating .. For me the Curry 3FL. is a good mix of tone and playability.

As you practice with the Flugel, spend a lot of time playing softly and with a less aggressive articulation.. think D or L articulation (softer).. I think you'll find your tone will mellow and blossom. Try not to play it like your trumpet.

Additionally, listen to some good players to have a concept of what you're striving for.. Even some British Brass Bands to get a comparison to a jazz soloist/combo player.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to recommend the Curry mouthpieces as well. I have a Yamaha Shew flugel and noticed a HUGE difference between the Curry mouthpiece and Shew mouthpiece. The tone was much darker and thick with the Curry.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work on your concept first. Listen to Roy Hargrove, Bobby Shew and Carl Saunders flugel sounds. I have an Adams F1 and use a ACB 3MDF mouthpiece. Real happy with the setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: