• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet tendinitis for 2 years..Healing needed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter0112

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Trumpet tendinitis for 2 years..Healing needed Reply with quote

Hello,

my girlfriend is a music student and plays trumpet. She cannot hold the trumpet anymore without pain. Her arms makes problems since two years, she got already massage weekly but that does not help. What can help her?

we ordered an ergobrass support system (similar to shulman system), but maybe this is not enough. Can you give some advice so that she can play again without pain? Of course she went to doctors but they just say time will heal it
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known players who have arm/shoulder pain when they play. Often they employ a high horn angle and elbows raised high. Some consider this a demonstration of superior technique but I find it to be particularly hard on the body. If your gf is the same you might want to suggest a lower horn angle and lower elbows.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tendinitis for 2 years.

That seems like a long time ... has the 'cause' of the tendinitis been identified?
Perhaps a 'sport injury', 'work related', 'physiology', 'diet', etc.
The doctors should have suggested some sort of treatment and rehabilitation plan.
Does the condition affect other aspects of daily activities? Such as cooking, cleaning, dressing, bathing, shopping, etc.?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been using an Ergobrass regularly for a few weeks and figured out that key to making it work (for me) is to let the support take the weight of one’s arms in addition to the horn. This might seem obvious, but I was letting it take the weight of the horn alone (and not compressing the spring) without realizing it. This support now makes a world of difference to me.
Peter0112

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the condition affects all things during normal day too. There is no doctor plan there. they just say you need to train muscles and masssage.

she played too much trumpet this is the cause of her condition

Any more suggestions /support systems recommendation are welcome

Thanks for the answers so far
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not supposed to give medical advice on these forums and even then I don't think this is the right place to ask for it. Your doctor is far more qualified to help you out.
Peter0112

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, the doctors say massage and time will heal. She already follows these instructions and will follow in the future, no worry

I dont ask for medical advice here but for tips how to handle this problem, all right?

There should be many more people here with the same problem. Maybe they can tell how they overcome it
klaus_o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently attended a Zoom session with Brianne Borden. Ms. Borden is a newly appointed Visiting Assistant Professor of Trumpet at the Crane School of Music at SUNY Potsdam.

Brianne shared her insight on yoga and it's application and influences for trumpet playing. Some of the issues associated with playing the trumpet are directly related to stress of the muscles and associated tendons in the arms neck and wrists. She has lived through this and overcame these issues via yoga stretching and breathing. Brianne led us through some exercises which for me helped reduce some of soreness I was experiencing in my left shoulder.

The ergobrass (and Schulman - I used to have one) are great in allowing you to continue playing and performing by reducing the stress on those muscles so they have time to heal. Prior stretching and relaxing the associated muscles help prepare the body for the muscular effort required for playing.

I encourage you to check out Brianne's website

https://www.yogaforallmusicians.com/brianne-borden
Peter0112

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you klaus_o this is what I was looking for. THIS IS IT!!
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bass trombonist worked through similar issues and is now working with other musicians.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/74-austin-pancner/id1447777266?i=1000489229629

https://www.thefunctionalmusician.com/

Best
Matt
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter0112 wrote:
I dont ask for medical advice here but for tips how to handle this problem, all right?

Apologies. Sentences like the above sound a bit contradictory to me and not being a native English speaker, I hope you understand how I can be confused.

Given that playing the trumpet is the main cause of her issue, has she considered taking a break for a while to recover?
Peter0112

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course she has. still almost no improvement
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the problem on both arms or is it only on one? Where is the pain localized?
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurtwoshedsjackson wrote:
I’ve been using an Ergobrass regularly for a few weeks and figured out that key to making it work (for me) is to let the support take the weight of one’s arms in addition to the horn. This might seem obvious, but I was letting it take the weight of the horn alone (and not compressing the spring) without realizing it. This support now makes a world of difference to me.

+1! Had the same problem which was very much helped by using this contraption, the way you point out.
As I have had both golf and tennis tendinitis (different sides of the elbow) I was also helped by a physical therapist who devised rather simple exercises; (in essence stretching) - but they had to be performed regurlaly.
Before this I sometimes wasn´t able to lift a glass of milk....let alone my trumpet.

No wonder one can contract this ailment - a steady longterm load on one´s arm.....
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Peter0112

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Seymor, can you tell which regular exercises help with this condition? What is your daily routine?

she has pain on both arms and also cannot lift little things even.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoulder, elbow or wrist?
Peter0112

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellbow and wrist she has pain on both arms
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

First of all, good on you for wanting to help out your girlfriend. It's a pretty amazing thing to find a forum on the web full of other trumpeters to look for advice.

I've heard of a number of musicians having success with the Alexander Technique. There are many practitioners across the world and I'm sure that you could find someone local to help in a one-on-one style session. They not only help with recovery, but also preventing the same injuries reoccuring.

Many have recommended doctors, etc. which is perfectly logical, but in my experience, doctors (general practitioners at least) are best at referring you to an expert. I'm not sure what it's like in your country, but referrals for countries with Universal Health Care (not trying to start a debate, because it's better and I know I'm right) will be able to provide referrals free of charge, and you'll likely pay out of pocket for an expert.

Hope that helps. Best of luck to your girlfriend in her recovery - time will absolutely help, but the correct recovery strategy will prevent further injury in the future.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BraeGrimes wrote:

I've heard of a number of musicians having success with the Alexander Technique.

Yes. A non-medical response directly addressing the problem and a possible solution.

Find an Alexander teacher.

In addition to helping with the dysfunction, don't be surprised if her sound markedly improves.

A family member of mine -- professional violinist in a major city-- averted possible career-ending issues with a fairly brief series of Alexander lessons.

-Denny
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techniques and exercises mentioned above are the key, but then sometimes it is also worth thinking about trying another trumpet with a slightly different placement of the valve block. That is, how far away from the body you hold it or just another grip.

The trumpet in my avatar is a Selmer Radial and I love, love, love the sound of those horns, but I can't play them for a longer period without getting problems in my back and shoulder as they have to be hold closer to your body than other trumpets. I've realised that I have to play trumpets with other designs where the valve block (and my left hand) is placed more far away from the body to be able to have a relaxed posture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: