• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My Mouthpiece is “Trash” so I Need a New One

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
sjholson wrote:

... it feels chapped/rough at the point where my lips and skin meet but that may be paranoia and could be something else) ...

-------------------------------------------------
Especially in dry winter months, I use ChapStick (actually cheap off-brand from Dollar General) every night before bed. Smear it on lips and rub it onto the surrounding tissue - above and below.

And of course it is very important to have the mpc fit YOUR face.

Jay

Have a read:

https://www.epiphanydermatology.com/blog/lip-balm-addiction/

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I greatly prefer DCT used only as needed. I haven't noticed any dependency and it's one of the few balms I can play on without issue.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Burt's Bees when the winter weather and/or a cold results in really cracked and dry lips. I just put in on at night before bed. In a couple of days, my lips were healed up. I could use it during the day, but I never do and frankly, don't need it.

I don't like stuff on my lips when playing. Really, never an issue as I only put it on before sleeping.

Most of the year, I don't need anything and don't use anything.

I've used Chopsaver in the past, it seemed fine if I recall.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a good, new 7C here for $19.99 plus low shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CKB-7C-Professional-Trumpet-Mouthpiece-BRAND-NEW-QuinnTheEskimo/262568045870?epid=728906905&hash=item3d22466d2e:g:3ZMAAOSwd4tTwJcm:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true&shqty=1#shId

These were made for the Conn Vintage One trumpet. Both the trumpet and the mouthpiece are no longer made, but that mouthpiece is good. Conn-Selmer is the boss of Bach trumpets.

But... it might get made fun of by high schoolers. I have one and its a good 7C. It's just that I'm on a small piece now, a 10.5D.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
sjholson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I use Burt’s Bees regularly because it really helps my lips feel “normal” after playing and just eliminates any dryness fast. I can’t wear while playing though. I put on some every night as well, but it’s just strange because I don’t think this has ever happened to me in the past. I’ll keep wearing it though and hopefully it clears!

Asking a recently retired director, who my current director said used to collect tons and tons of brass mouthpieces, for some advice on mine. The other person my director recommended I talk to was the guy who called my mouthpiece trash, not sure if I want to see him haha

Saw where someone said that the top lip vibration is extremely important and a mouthpiece shouldn’t stop that. In the 5C, my bottom lip takes over and leaves no room for the top lip. Gonna take some adjusting I guess unless it’s something about *knowing* if the mp is right, but on the other hand, playing on it today was 10x better than yesterday.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjholson wrote:
... In the 5C, my bottom lip takes over and leaves no room for the top lip. ...

-----------------------------------------
Where do you place the mpc on your lips? Where is the horizontal center-line of the mpc in relation to your lips CL?

What you wrote ("bottom lip takes over and leaves no room for the top lip") seems unconventional ...

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
sjholson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I guess I didn't word that right. I didn't mean my bottom lip literally takes over, I just feel more of it than usual if that makes sense? Ah, I'm not good at describing and tend to overthink things.
I haven't observed thoroughly, but one lip is much fuller than the other, so I roughly place it in the middle with the slightest bit farther down. I don't know if there's a trick to it, but it's where it fell naturally. I probably experienced the lip phenomenon due to the sudden change in the overall cup/diameter size. Was very awkward for my embouchure.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important thing is that your embouchure and mpc placement allows controlled and not 'pinched' lip vibration - to produce a good musical sound - and not squeaks.

Yes, different rim diameter and cup shape can require some time to become familiar, and for you to learn if any embouchure/lip adjustments are necessary. And only you know how the new mpc actually feels. If it causes actual pain or bruising, that's bad (unless you are doing excessive playing). With the 5C, if the sound is good, intonation is good, articulation is good, and the comfort is reasonable, then stick with it for a while. A week's use will be a good guide to its long term value. And DO try to be able to explain how it feels - e.g. lip pressure points on specific teeth, feels too thick / thin in some areas, too much - or not enough - room for lip vibrations, etc.

Trying other mpc from your friends is fine. But remember (write down) the details of how they worked - don't trust your memory, things get confusing after a while!

And remember, the mpc has to playable for the entire duration of whatever session or event. You don't want a mpc that is great for a 5 minute test, but that fails after 20 minutes.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
TrumpetNerd2357

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest deciding factor should be how you perceive the mouthpiece (how it sounds and how it feels TO YOU). If you think it feels and sounds good, then it really must coincide with you goals and path. If you want to play orchestra, big band, or lead it’s really easy to get caught up in the gear people say you should use, but the best thing to do is just try out as many pieces as you can and see what you like best. The more you try the more you can narrow your selection
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
FWIW I greatly prefer DCT used only as needed. I haven't noticed any dependency and it's one of the few balms I can play on without issue.
me too
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mouthpiece is “Trash” so I Need a New One Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Andy Del wrote:
......You DO have a trumpet teacher, right? Remember that the lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. If you are teaching yourself (band directors do NOT count as a teacher) then fix this ASAP.

I’m guessing the OP doesn’t have a private teacher. If he does, THAT’S who he should be discussing this with, and if he doesn’t.....most of us would agree on that answer.

There seems to be a lot of young new members popping up lately here asking questions that need to be addressed by a teacher. NOT to discourage any young/new member here from asking questions, but I wonder if some of these students, who seem to be motivated and interested, understand that no forum is a substitute for a teacher? Is this a result of kids being overly focused on the internet? I’m guessing it is, and it’s not (a substitute).

Brad
yup
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mouthpiece is “Trash” so I Need a New One Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
This is a long story, and one which sadly seems to be rather common in the US...

If you are doing well on trumpet, then you need to get one thing straight, and that is that band conductors, etc. are NOT your teacher and should not be telling you things like XYZ mouthpiece is trash, but instead giving you some feedback as to what they hear. Plus the direction to take this back to your trumpet teacher and discuss it with them. (It sort of hints that the judge, instructor, conductor, etc should be professional... not narrow minded nutters) (but I may be painting with a broad brush here)

You DO have a trumpet teacher, right? Remember that the lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. If you are teaching yourself (band directors do NOT count as a teacher) then fix this ASAP.

Many people do not like the feel of XYZ mouthpiece, and so they look for something they do like the feel of. So, if you like that Schilke 14A4a, then what about a Schilke with some more depth to the cup, in a similar sized rim which allows you to get that richer sound you will need for playing in band?

Try some Schilke mouthpieces in the 14 range, like a 14B. Yes, this takes time and money, unless your teacher has a range of mouthpieces you can try. You may need to solve this issue with a part time job after school, negotiating chores with neighbours, mowing your trumpet teacher's lawn, etc. (why do NONE of my students think of this???)

good luck in the hunt...
yes
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I can't follow some of your post, sorry. I've got a question. though. Some bands have Marching Band season followed by Concert Band season. Are you doing both or just Marching Band, now?

My concept of Marching Band and Concert Band is different. If you are doing Marching Band and a 14A4A was fine for both you and your director, then why change horses?

The reaction of your 14A4A by others may have been regarding their use of other mouthpieces for Concert Band and I concur. It may be different for others, but my feel about 14AAs is that it is one of a specialty mouthpiece. To me, the cup size and the backbore say Jazz Band more than Concert Band.

If it's Concert Band, why not use something close to your 14A4A, if that's what you otherwise use, like a Schilke 14C2 or even just a Schilke 14.

No offense, but I don't know how poor you can be to not have, get or earn sixty-six bucks for a mouthpiece. Surely you can get out there and earn that.

The 14C2 has a very sharp rim, good attacks lousy endurance. The 14 B is a possibility. Yamaha's original mouthpieces, like the horns were Schilke clones, so they share a lot of DNA. Check out the Yamaha 14B4 or 14B4 GP https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/winds/mouthpieces/trumpets/standard_gp.html#product-tabs I think you will find the ID similar to your Bach and the rim very comfortable.
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjholson wrote:
The Bach 5C's sound was beautiful! I meshed with the other trumpets well and felt like I didn't hear just myself play. It was such a rewarding experience. However, the overall feel of it on my lips felt wrong. I know it's new and that this would happen with any new mouthpiece, but just using it sounded alarms off in my head. After the warmup chorale in class, we started the first song (a march) and I felt like I couldn't continue. I couldn't even hit high F on the staff without taking a mini break! I still feel the effects of it today on my lips (especially the top, it feels chapped/rough but it’s probably something else) after using it for a 50 minute class and a 1 hour long after school practice. I'm probably just being wimpy and should keep going, but I just don't think the Bach 5C is for me. A friend of mine has a Yamaha 14B4 she used to play on before she got her custom Warburton. I'll ask to try it out. I also thought about asking around and seeing if there's a pro player or teacher around to give me his/her opinion on mouthpieces and let me play for them so that they can help. If they have good prices, I'll go from there.

This post may be a bit late, but as long as it's not hurting you, you should consider staying with the 5C and seeing if you can grow into it. I downsized to a 5C earlier this year and the first few weeks were a great honeymoon period, but then I struggled with it for awhile. After around 4 months, the 5C started feeling natural to me again (the problem turned out to be using my air too inefficiently). I agree with you that the 5C has a beautiful sound, and that was a reason for me to work with it instead of dumping it for instant gratification with something else.

However I will echo the sentiment that playing on both a 5C and Schilke 14A4a is a bit of an extreme change. As far as Bach sizes go, the 14A4a is closer to a 3 or 1 1/2. If you can handle significant mouthpiece changes though, by all means play both.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to tell you how to get through this changing of a mouthpiece you are unhappy with when you dont have the time to accommodate the change and you have problems affording it.

I will give you one possible solution that will let you afford it.

On ebay now is a delphi trumpet for 18 dollars and with it you get a 7c piece that is probably worth 10 dollars and two bottles of valve oil worth about 10 dollars and a case.

The trumpet will sell for maybe 25 dollars at end of auction

Buy the trumpet keep the valve oil and the mouthpiece have the trumpet made into a lamp and sell it for 20 dollars and you have just bought a mouthpiece and two bottles of valve oil for the price of a bottle of valve oil.

Or keep the trumpet and use it as a second trumpet or sell the trumpet on ebay for what you paid for it.

If you drop lucky you might make a profit and and get a mouthpiece out of the deal as well.

The last trumpet I bought cost me 25 dollars and it was an old pro grade instrument in good playable condition with 2 mutes and 2 mouthpieces and a great case. sadly no valve oil.

The instruments are there if you wait for a them to appear and keep your eyes open.

The gotcha on this is shipping but you can often collect in person and save on shipping.

It is not important which trumpet you buy just get the cheapest one you can find that includes the mouthpiece you want then get rid of the trumpet.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Frankd017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O00Joe wrote:
I would try a Schilke 13C4 with you. You like the Schilke '4' rim and it is pretty much the [url=https://www.baloune.com/guide-sante-chiens/] comparateur assurance chat[/url] same diameter. The 13C4 has some depth to it to smooth out the sound but it's also somewhat funnel shaped so it's really easy to brighten up and a bit easier in the high register.

Mouthpiece Express allows trials so you could try many mouthpieces without losing too much money.

they just keep it to themselves. Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: