• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Excuses for showing up late to rehearsals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeHuang

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Excuses for showing up late to rehearsals Reply with quote

Please contact me if anyone has good excuses for showing up late to rehearsals?
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual truth if it is in any way acceptable, with the reassurance that it won't happen again?
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to go with something heroic, but not so notable that you'd expect it to make the news. So no "I rushed into a burning building to save an orphan" but maybe "I stopped to help a family of ducks cross the road."

Hanging around a university for the last few years, I mostly heard (true) excuses relating to various things being inaccessible or in the wrong location:
—the mute I need is in the instrument cage but I couldn't find anyone with a key
—my music was in my dorm room but I was coming from a class in X building
—my instrument is in the band room but the building's locked and it took security 20 minutes to get there
...and of course the classics:
—I overslept/forgot/had a conflict
—I didn't read the email so I assumed the rehearsal was in X building
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite sayings... "Excuses are like anuses, everyone has one, and they all stink."

I really don't want to hear excuses, just that you're OK, and it was a one time error, mistake, or problem.
All I want to hear is "sorry, I know I'm late" .. and to see that you're moving appropriately to catch up.
If I care to know why you're late, I'll ask.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sorry I'm late, guys, my leg was dirty."

A good as any! LOL
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always the "Dog ate my music".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once had a car breakdown. Once got there to find the building surrounded by cops, with a chalk outline by the door. For the latter, the rest of the band was also in the parking lot across the street.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about:

"Sorry I'm late, I dropped my mouthpiece in the toilet"
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Christmas gig and one of the horns was late. It turned out he was hurrying to the rehearsal as he was running late and the cops decided he needed a ticket for speeding.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Late to gig Reply with quote

When I was playing with Harry James in the sixties, my girl friend had flown out to stay a few days with me in Lake Tahoe. We were playing the lounge at Harrah's Club and the first set was 10 pm. If there was one thing Harry could relate to was being late to the gig because of, let us say, a circumstance caused by (ah hem) being with a female. After I explained what delayed me Harry's response was "that's OK Babe".

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Exercises for showing up late to rehearsals Reply with quote

I agree with Zaferis. I have done overnights in a group home for about 6 years now and will til I retire. I have worked with so many people that didn't punch in even one time "on time" for work. Sometimes it becomes part of an attitude. In music and sports others are counting on you to be there to contribute at a certain time. Zaferis' comment about everyone having a butthole, etc. is true and one of my mentors used to say "they are totally worthless, they are just dead from the waist in both directions."
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Excuses for showing up late to rehearsals Reply with quote

I agree with Zaferis. I have done overnights in a group home for about 6 years now and will til I retire. I have worked with so many people that didn't punch in even one time "on time" for work. Sometimes it becomes part of an attitude. In music and sports others are counting on you to be there to contribute at a certain time. Zaferis' comment about everyone having a butthole, etc. is true and one of my mentors used to say "they are totally worthless, they are just dead from the waist in both directions."
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the OP needs a list of excuses, it sounds like he or she needs to work on better habits so excuses won't be needed.

But things happen, and the stories can be fun.

I was on my way to a rehearsal, years ago, when I ended up stuck on a highway exit ramp in the middle of the conclusion of a high-speed police pursuit. I was stopped halfway down the ramp, in the middle of a lot of law-enforcement vehicles, while officers from multiple jurisdictions drew a lot of guns and took four "considered armed and dangerous" suspects into custody.

It took a long time. I showed up the end of the rehearsal, stressed out, only to learn that the rehearsal had been disrupted by the pursuit and a local PD unit posted out front of the building, so all was forgiven.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, mine is not exactly a late excuse, but in my brief career at working in public education, I got the "opportunitly" to start a band program at a very small rural school. Let's just say there was not a lot of drive in some of the students.

In my second year at the school, I was working over a piece of music that was farily challenging for the group, hoping that it would challenge them in a way to achieve some growth. I taught other subjects in the school, as that was expected in smaller school systems. Due to that and my being the scoutmaster for the town's troop, I felt I knew the kids very well in many ways.

I was working over a passage with the flutes, and one of the players in the group was sort of the "Greek Chorus" for the group in many ways, often expressing and explaining what the rest were going through.

She looked somewhat befuddled, and asked, "Do you expect us to play it PERFECT?" That simple interrogative explained more to me about my group than I had learned in a year and a half leading up to that moment!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Stutrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Late for Rehearsals Reply with quote

This is a true one:
I knew a saxophonist in a cruise ship band who apologised for being late for the headliners rehearsal because he'd had a flat tyre!

He ended the cruise with a bar bill that exceeded his pay!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Late for Rehearsals Reply with quote

Stutrumpet wrote:
This is a true one:
I knew a saxophonist in a cruise ship band who apologised for being late for the headliners rehearsal because he'd had a flat tyre!

He ended the cruise with a bar bill that exceeded his pay!

Were they already out of port when he made the flat tire claim?
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Excuses for showing up late to rehearsals Reply with quote

Topics like this one remind me of when comedian Jon Lovitz used to be on Saturday Night Live and play "the pathological liar." He would talk in circular lying for a couple minutes and then go, "yea, that's what it was!"
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have relayed this story here before, but I'll leave it again -
Years ago (we're talking late '70s) I played in a funk band. Repetoire included EW&F, James Brown, hits of the day. We usually rehearsed 3 times a week in an unfurnished recording studio that had gone out of business. After being together for while and building up a book and playing regluar gigs, 7:30 rehearsals actually started at about 8:30 by the time all the stragglers showed up. Gradually it became 9:30, and on and on until we realized that we were actually starting rehearsals at 12:30, and only because nobody wanted to show up on time and wait for the others. We had to finally do some SEVERE group based reigning in over that one!

keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: