• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The mystery of the Concertino in G-minor by "Joseph Fia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetart
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: The mystery of the Concertino in G-minor by "Joseph Fia Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone has done any research into this piece, the Concertino in G-minor published (with a ridiculous number of errors in the music) in 1954 by International Music. It is attributed to Joseph Fiala (1749-1816), but it was clearly not composed by him, because the harmonic vocabulary and dramatic style of the piece are much more in a "20th century romantic" style, stylistically closer to the Arutunian or Goedicke Concertos.

My best shot in the dark guess is that it was actually composed by George Joseph Fiala (1922-2017) who was a Ukrainian born Canadian composer. George Fiala did compose a Concertino for piano, trumpet and strings in 1950, but I have been unable to find a recording of that piece to compare it.

It's sort of a nice trumpet showpiece, I'm thinking of making a recording of it. I'd love to have some more info if anyone has any leads.

P.S. This is definitely NOT the Divertimento in D by Joseph Fiala, which is an authentic classical piece composed for the keyed trumpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: