• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton regular collegiate cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Holton regular collegiate cornet Reply with quote

What is up trumpet homies. I'm new to cornet, just bought my first one. I have a problem though, I really wish slides had rings. Could I have a lire box soldered on and put a ring through? thanks.
ChuckK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Holton regular collegiate cornet Reply with quote

Beanboy128 wrote:
What is up trumpet homies. I'm new to cornet, just bought my first one. I have a problem though, I really wish slides had rings. Could I have a lire box soldered on and put a ring through? thanks.
\

Seems that that could work out OK. Take it to a reputable repair person. They might have a more elegant answer to the problem.
Remember though, it's not a repair persons job to evaluate the cost of a repair or alteration in relation to the value of the instrument (most will let you know if you're gazing down a rabbit hole).
Get used to the instrument first and see what it has to offer you musically and then put some thought into repairs, alterations, and accessories (mouthpieces etc)
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding Rings or adjustable rings are not a complex operation in general.

I have a Selmer Radial that has an adjustable ring. The problem was, it was wonky and slipped pretty often, regardless of how I adjusted it or how firmly I attempted to lock it down. I had a repair tech add a fixed ring (which I prefer anyway) and it's great. I left the holder in case I ever need a lyre, and also, it doesn't really matter anymore.

I also have a Bach 184 cornet that had a trigger that I hated. It was stiff and I hated how it was positioned for my hand and my grip. I'm not a trigger fan in general, but am willing to put up with some if they function well for me. I had my friend remove the trigger and install a saddle for the first slide. It's great, though removing the tension the trigger added to the horn made the blow open up quite a bit and it's pretty free blowing, now. Sometimes, it's a bit more than my out-of-shape form can handle easily.

So, consider whether you want a fixed or adjustable ring - either isn't a big deal to add.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trumpets and cornets without any slide rings.

All the slides are fixed and cannot take a ring unless it is replaced with a completely new extendable slide.

Personally I would not do it you are supposed to lip these instruments and lipping is a cornet and trumpet players skill so why not learn it.

The cost of replacing a fixed slide with an extendable slide is likely to be high maybe as much as 100 dollars.

You can pick up a cornet with extendable slide and ring for around 100 dollars on ebay, there are 2 on ebay now for 100 dollars buy it now and a yamaha for 48 dollars bid price

For 100 dollars you will get a good instrument with an extra mouthpiece worth 50 dollars and a case as well. All that for the cost of getting your current instrument converted.

And you know having a second cornet is a wise move

Or you can spend 100 dollars with a tech getting your instrument converted.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: