• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Starting BE? Steve's memo to himself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Starting BE? Steve's memo to himself. Reply with quote

Hello BE Explorers.
I am 7 months into BE. If I was to start from scratch this is the memo I would write myself:

1. RI - in your head entertain the idea that you might end up with more of an RI set up than you think you will right now.
2. RO - Promise yourself you will not let go of the padded cushion feel of RO.
3.Mouth Piece placement - as BE starts to cast its spell revisit pre-BE assumptions about mp placement - experiment with what might be tiny / in the mirror imperceptible changes.
4 Master ALS 5a. Until you can, your BE is still very much journey in progress. If necessary wait 2 months and come back to it. (as far as I can tell Steve ALS5 is practically the only thing in BE which is quiet so this one is down to your lips - as it gets easier go higher .. treat it as a HTE exercise.)
5. Don't get into a routine with RO set up. For example try thinking the lower lip is just the air seal and focus on top lip. This adjustment is tiny.. maybe just in the mind and invisible in the mirror. Think about tilting both ways for RO.
6. RI - Steve, don't get distracted by the whole lip clamp debate - go for a strong air hiss then trumpet to lips - don't take lip clamp squeak as starting point.
7. Tongue - notice how, thanks to BE, the tongue seems to be much more forward but forget about TCE debate - don't commit to a tongue "set up" trust the tongue to work it out for itself and yourself just fine!
8 Mouth piece pressure - as Jeff advises - no need to stress about this - but understand this Steve - less MP pressure is your friend above the staff - think about it - how else can you empower your lips to make those tiny adjustments?
9 Trust in BE to execute change. Don't get into a "ahh high note.. touch of RI here" way of thinking. Let the lips play - don't make them.
10 As Michael from NZ would say - enjoy "off" days - its a sure sign exciting development is round the corner.
11 TOTL, a lot. Don't make it pretty.
12. Chin - notice how it moves - bunches - on the BE exercises - the chin will be a great ally for you.

And now you have read this memo Steve - burn it and forget everything I have told you cos learning the trumpet with the help of BE is like a Mission Impossible film. However desperate you have felt in those lonely 3.5 years before BE, now, take my word for it, what ever happens - with BE by your side things are going to turn out just the way you hoped. But you need to discover it for yourself - cos that's half the fun, this is your adventure and nobody else's. Good luck
Steve
PS Remember our family motto "Langdons Never Give Up!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: