• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adding Arban's p. 125 interval studies to my routine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Adding Arban's p. 125 interval studies to my routine Reply with quote

I have been having success with my BE adventures. My range is increasing. I have Gs (above high C) every day. They are pretty strong Gs and I can play them soft and crescendo them to loud, but they aren't really gig usable yet. The notes below the G have become much easier and very usable. I have range above G during the routine, but they are very thin at this point. Also, my endurance has increased quite a bit through BE.

I have been having trouble getting my embouchure to settle in and have some accuracy problems. Today I added the Arban's interval studies to my routine to see if that helps.

My "BE" embouchure is slightly rolled in when playing in the lower range, and gradually rolls in as I ascend. Any thoughts or suggestions about how to approach the interval studies with this embouchure?
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I don't think that there is any connection between the specifics of your embouchure setup, and approaching an interval exercise in any specific way. You simply do the exercises within the context of the setup you are using, and make adjustments accordingly.

Did you have something else in mind?

The Arban interval studies are not the easiest in the world. If you want to start with intervals less complex, you might try the Claude Gordon Daily Routines book (different than Systematic Approach). The whole book is intervals. It is not musically interesting (unlike the Arban book), but if you can deal with purely mechanical interval exercises, it will kick your butt in the more advanced parts.

As for improving cleanness and accuracy in general, I always recommend double octave scales.

Jeff
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, Jeff

My embouchure rolls in as I ascend. At first it felt like there was a lot of movement going on and my embouchure wasn't firm. After a couple of days it has settled in and is working well.

I have the Gordon Daily Routines book. I chose the Arban over it, but I will go back and give it a look. I don't really have a lot of trouble with the Arban's flexibility studies and now it is even easier than decades ago in college.

Rick Steffen talks about high notes not being high and he feels like it is like picking apples off a tree. Apparently I was using a short step ladder and he was on a cherry picker. Lately I am beginning to understand what he was talking about.
john4860

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my two cents, since I've been practicing tonguing scales regularly and the Arban's Interval studies my embouchure feels like I don't have to adjust much from lower to higher notes. The value of tonguing scales is that I don't miss notes going down as much. It really doesn't take a lot of scales each day to keep this feeling of having one embouchure for the entire trumpet range.
It's really made a huge difference in what I can play and it's increased my endurance also.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved from p. 125 to page 127. This seems to help in that I am starting higher with the more rolled in embouchure. As the exercises leap further down I have a little less roll in but not too much change. This seems to be helping with accuracy.

When I was studying with Jake he told me it is easier to play down low on a high embouchure than to play up high on a low embouchure.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
When I was studying with Jake he told me it is easier to play down low on a high embouchure than to play up high on a low embouchure.

I don't know if it is easier. But in my experience, players prefer the former to the latter. Pages 76 and 88.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: