• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Solotone ridiculously out of tune?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krumpet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Solotone ridiculously out of tune? Reply with quote

A while back I received a Shastock Solotone mute and while it sounds great, it is ridiculously sharp starting from low C to middle A. Is it the mute, me, or something else I'm not aware of?

On the topic of mutes, is there a resource of some sort that shows different ways to determine the age of a mute? I'm very interested in the history of mutes since there seems to be not much literature about it.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not you; every Shastock and H&B Solotone mute I've ever used is way sharp.

The Roger Ingraham "Showtone" mutes sold through Warburton are much, much more in tune:

http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/ingram-mutemeister-mutes

HTH

Ben
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to file the cork to fit your bell...They need some sort of filing down most of the time..Too thick, too much resistance,goes sharp
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Emo is also much better in tune than the Humes and Berg. I have a Humes and Berg and it is unusable. While I haven't played a Shastock, the best solotone I ever played was the Clary. Great sound and great intonation, not to mention, they are beautiful to look at. The workmanship is flawless.
Krumpet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="benlewis"]It's not you; every Shastock and H&B Solotone mute I've ever used is way sharp.

The Roger Ingraham "Showtone" mutes sold through Warburton are much, much more in tune:

[url]http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/ingram-mutemeister-mutes[/url]

HTH

Ben[/quote]

Good to know that this is possibly just not my mute in particular. I wonder how people played on them back in the day if this is such a prevalent issue...
Krumpet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

american boy wrote:
Make sure to file the cork to fit your bell...They need some sort of filing down most of the time..Too thick, too much resistance,goes sharp

Thanks for the tip! I know that filing corks is a thing for cup mutes but never considered that to be an option for other mutes as well. Perhaps I'll get to work on it sometime then.
Krumpet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
The Emo is also much better in tune than the Humes and Berg. I have a Humes and Berg and it is unusable. While I haven't played a Shastock, the best solotone I ever played was the Clary. Great sound and great intonation, not to mention, they are beautiful to look at. The workmanship is flawless.

I appreciate the recommendations (and will take them into consideration)but I am determined to find some way to make this particular mute play well! Also, do you have a newer or older H&B? After many years of snooping around this forum I've seen many people say that the quality of their mutes is nothing compared to what they used to be.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Showtone is a wonderful solotone mute, but I’d pick Trumcor’s take on the Solotone over any of the others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: