• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Large format method and etude books?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Large format method and etude books? Reply with quote

I've searched around without much luck, so I thought I'd try here. I'm getting old and the eyes just get worse every year. I simply cannot read and play out of the standard books (even with my glasses on).
Does anybody know if large format versions of things like Arban's, Clarke, Bosquet, jazz studies and etudes, etc. are available???

keith
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that kind of problem and that is one of the reason why I use an IPad Pro, foreScore and downloaded pdf scores. Arban, Clark and others are all available in pdf now.
You can read them, for instance in landscape size and even zoom.
Great help for my tired eyes.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:
I have that kind of problem and that is one of the reason why I use an IPad Pro, foreScore and downloaded pdf scores. Arban, Clark and others are all available in pdf now.
You can read them, for instance in landscape size and even zoom.
Great help for my tired eyes.

Yeah, I use my iPad (original) as a kindle reader for regular books. I've bought a couple of .pdf files of jazz methods, but they seem to be scanned images so they won't scale up in the Kindle reader software. I've got Arban's in .pdf and the problem is that if I zoom it up, then it won't fit left to right, if I try to solve that by doing landscape mode, I only get 2 or 3 staves at a time which becomes problematic for continuity in practicing. Maybe I'm just being too picky. what's forescore?

keith
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="khedger"]
Voltrane wrote:
if I try to solve that by doing landscape mode, I only get 2 or 3 staves at a time which becomes problematic for continuity in practicing.

This problem could potentially be solved by using a bluetooth foot-pedal page-turning device. I've used a couple different models by pageflip with good results. It registers with your tablet as a bluetooth keyboard and you can set what "keys" it sends, e.g. page up/page down.

https://smile.amazon.com/PageFlip-Butterfly-Bluetooth-Turner-Pedal/dp/B01LIROF7W
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForeScore is an app for IPAD IOS that manages the score in pdf format.
Very practical. For instance, you can trim the score so that the size is adapted to the screen (it makes it bigger). And many other functionalities, including zooming.
Regarding the zoom, I have no problem to zoom with my IPAD Pro whatever the app and most of the time I read TH using a zoomed format!
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ayryq"]
khedger wrote:
Voltrane wrote:
if I try to solve that by doing landscape mode, I only get 2 or 3 staves at a time which becomes problematic for continuity in practicing.

This problem could potentially be solved by using a bluetooth foot-pedal page-turning device. I've used a couple different models by pageflip with good results. It registers with your tablet as a bluetooth keyboard and you can set what "keys" it sends, e.g. page up/page down.

https://smile.amazon.com/PageFlip-Butterfly-Bluetooth-Turner-Pedal/dp/B01LIROF7W

Nutty.....that didn't occur to me. I mean, why should it, I only spent thirty years working in the software development industry and own several computers???!?!?! You can see that my eyesight's not the only thing going...

keith
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:
ForeScore is an app for IPAD IOS that manages the score in pdf format.
Very practical. For instance, you can trim the score so that the size is adapted to the screen (it makes it bigger). And many other functionalities, including zooming.
Regarding the zoom, I have no problem to zoom with my IPAD Pro whatever the app and most of the time I read TH using a zoomed format!

I've been wondering how long I'd get away with my 1st gen iPad......looks like an upgrade may be looming...

keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: