• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TOL - tongue position between the attacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrpM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: TOL - tongue position between the attacks Reply with quote

I am slowly getting rid of old (bad) habits and I firmly believe that BE will (and to some degree already is) transforming my way of playing the trumpet for the better. Unlike others here I donĀ“t think that changes are happening in days or weeks, but it is taking me months to unlearn bad habits. But no worries, I am patient.
Here is my question regarding the TOL exercises (p. 123ff). Where is the tongue supposed to be between the attacks? Retracting behind the teeth into the oral cavity or staying very close to the upper lip, between the teeth? I suppose the latter?

And another thing: for me it seems that TOL is also a way to "teach" my tongue how far up front it can be. Is this just me or actually the purpose of the exercise?

Stay healthy!
Martin
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

TOL tongue position after release is a variable. Sometimes the tongue is needed to help keep the bottom lip more forwards, and sometimes not.

Teaching the tongue to be more forward is "one" purpose of the exercise. Others are described on pages 17-18.

Jeff
TrpM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff.

I just tried to observe my tongue movement carefully, and indeed, it seems that the movement of the tip of the tongue is not so much backwards after the release (which is what I thought my tongue is going), but rather a downward movement so that the tip is touching the bottom lip.

Always astonishing how "blind" one can be observing these things unless pointed to the aspect one should look/feel for.

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: