• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Protec Cases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Protec Cases Reply with quote

hello. I'm looking for a nice and beefy hard case. I want it to hold a few trumpets, mutes, accessories, music. The whole 9 yards. I recently saw the protec triple quadruple wheelie cases with a mute case clipped on. Has anybody ever used one because it seems perfect for what I need.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not, so I cannot give you feedback on them but... I did own a ProTec dual case (for 2 trumpets or 1 trumpet, some mutes and a stand) before and I'm using a ProTec contoured right now. I've found both cases to be durable and strong enough for everyday wear & tear.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Protec iPac Triple on wheels for years without a clip on mute case. It has a huge accessory pocket that holds whatever I've needed to take with me to rehearsals/performances.

If you tell me exactly what you'd like to put in yours, I could probably tell you if it would fit.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a Protec "double" wheelie for eight years. It can be shaped for one or two trpts. With one trpt it holds more equipment than I really need for most gigs. It shows no wear with moderate use (three/four times a week) from the trunk of a car rolling through parking lots and/or downtown streets. It's never been in a bus cargo area or airplane trip. I'm it's main "handler". The wheels are a godsend for my back.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the iPaq triple case with wheels. They also make a quad, which I considered, but decided that was more bulky than what I need.

I used it for 6-9 months prior to shutdown in March - it's just been parked since. When I need more than 1 trumpet/cornet, I use it. It's got room for 3 full sized trumpets or cornets, or 2 with a slot for accessories or stuff. The front pocket is big enough for a music folder, so that's super handy.

I also have the bigger Protec mute bag that has up to six compartments, that I really like. You can clip them together, but usually I just put one of the mute bag handles over the extended handle of the triple case.

I don't know much about the durability, I haven't had it long and I've only wheeled it from the car to the hall and back. It's not great in snow - no shock, the wheels aren't huge. The zippers are better than my older Protec cases from about 15-20 years ago (a old triple and a double), so that's good. The triple I bought used in college and has small flimsy zippers and is pretty finicky. The double is newer, bought on clearance about 15-17 or so years ago, maybe - but it still works fine.

The newer ballistic nylon that covers the new one is .... nicer than the old Cordura in that it attracts way less dust. I guess I'll see about longevity.

I wouldn't qualify any of these cases as "beefy." I wouldn't travel with them on public or commercial transport, for sure. But, they're great - especially the older double and new iPaq triple - for what I need.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
richauff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The protec triple/quad cases are great! I know you said you’d like it to hold a few trumpets, but do you know what you’d generally carry around specifically? There are some other great options but I think you should gear it towards what you’re holding trumpet wise.

Quad cases are great because you can hold Bb, C, Eb, Picc, and with most you can leave a horn at home and store mutes in that extra slot. The protec quad is great, as well as the Marcus bona, but my favorite is the quad from bags of Spain. Fits four “normal” sized horns with removable pouch on the outside. Also comes with pads/dividers to fit 1 “normal horn,” a flugel, and a picc. Great for shows, and really compact/sturdy.

If you don’t think you’re going to be bringing around 4 horns very often, I’d opt for a lighter smaller case that you won’t mind lugging around day-to-day. I personally like the protec doubles, the bona doubles, particularly the trumpet double flight case. Just picked one up and it’s super secure, and really compact. Looks slightly bigger than a backpack, and has room for large folders in the pouch. They also make a picc case that zips on in place of the music, so if you want a versatile case this is definitely one. The protec mute bags can clip on to most other cases, so I would prioritize finding a case that fits the horns you want.

Hope this helps!

-Richard
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:

If you tell me exactly what you'd like to put in yours, I could probably tell you if it would fit.

Can it hold a music folder or is that too jumbo
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A music folder fits fine in the outside pocket.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:

Beanboy128 wrote:
Can it hold a music folder or is that too jumbo

Crazy Finn wrote:
I have the iPaq triple case with wheels.

The front pocket is big enough for a music folder, so that's super handy.

Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: