• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Solo pieces without recordings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Solo pieces without recordings? Reply with quote

It seems that almost all orchestral pieces that are worth it have been recorded already. In your opinion, what solo pieces are you surprised don't have recordings yet? Or perhaps, haven't been recorded recently?

Are there pieces that you are tired of listening to, that everyone seems to keep putting out there? I have my own opinions, but I'd love to hear yours!
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Solo pieces without recordings? Reply with quote

chrisf3000 wrote:
It seems that almost all orchestral pieces that are worth it have been recorded already. In your opinion, what solo pieces are you surprised don't have recordings yet? Or perhaps, haven't been recorded recently?

Are there pieces that you are tired of listening to, that everyone seems to keep putting out there? I have my own opinions, but I'd love to hear yours!

Interesting question.

I would say that recording the standard repertoire, as each new generation of violinists do, is ok. For me, Rolf Smedvig's Hummel made me hear many of the phrases differently and truly love playing the piece in a way no one else had, even though there were many versions out there.

Transcriptions that really work would be ok. I really enjoyed Andre's CD of Baroque Oboe and Flute concertos to the point where I bought the music and worked on them. I used to listen to it so much because it fit the trumpet range well and, in many ways, surpassed the oboe versions. There might be some fitting violin show pieces by Kreisler, etc. that can work well.

Its my opinion that if a player has a "personal" sound, phrasing, and interpretation, anything they record is worth putting out there and will be appreciated.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Romantic Era Reply with quote

In the last twenty years, quite a bit of romantic era trumpet and cornet solos have been rediscovered or republished and much of it isn't well recorded. I'm guessing because many of those pieces aren't spectacular virtuosic showstoppers written by the pillars of the classical music canon.

I'm thinking of the music for cornet or trumpet and band by Poinchielli, or the Adagio for trumpet and orchestra by Verdi, the American Eagle Waltz by Offenbach, or the Longing by one of the waltz-king Strauss brothers for cornet and strings, the concertino by Otto Nicolai (the composer who wrote the Merry Wives of Windsor), and the Divertissement by Franz von Suppé.

I've run across a few Naxos recordings that include those pieces, recorded by regional ensembles with either their own first trumpeter or a lesser-known soloist on the solo part. I have yet to see a notable soloist present all of them in one recording. I likely answered my own question when I pointed out that we're not talking about profound pieces of music written by the likes of Brahms or Tchaikovsky.

It would also be cool if a soloist puts together a recording of music written for keyed trumpet, including not only the Haydn and the Hummel, but also works by Josef Fiala and Conradin Kreutzer, and maybe one other like the concerto attributed to Stamitz.

The major labels usually go with what they know will sell. Classical audiences are notorious for knowing what they like and liking what they know, which is understandable given the nature of the music. Classical music labels reflect those tastes. If anyone out there knows recent recordings featuring the works I mentioned bundled together thematically (Romantic Trumpet; The Keyed Trumpet) please let me know.
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Didymus! This is what I was hoping for. My feelings are that, while I find it interesting to hear new artists versions, pieces like the Haydn Concerto are done so much. I love discovering new music and new styles of music. I hadn't even thought of keyed trumpet repertoire, good stuff!

I'm not sure how anyone else feels, but I believe recordings and sheet music go hand in hand. How many times do you hear a recording and think, "I should pick that up"? Or vice versa, you are given some sheet music (maybe in a pile) and you want to know how something goes, but can't seem to find it.My fear is that if things don't get recorded, then that piece might slip into oblivion and we end up with the same pieces over and over again.

Keep the discussion (and ideas) coming!
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Youtube can be a very good resource Reply with quote

chrisf3000 wrote:
Thank you, Didymus! This is what I was hoping for. My feelings are that, while I find it interesting to hear new artists versions, pieces like the Haydn Concerto are done so much. I love discovering new music and new styles of music. I hadn't even thought of keyed trumpet repertoire, good stuff!

I'm not sure how anyone else feels, but I believe recordings and sheet music go hand in hand. How many times do you hear a recording and think, "I should pick that up"? Or vice versa, you are given some sheet music (maybe in a pile) and you want to know how something goes, but can't seem to find it.My fear is that if things don't get recorded, then that piece might slip into oblivion and we end up with the same pieces over and over again.

Keep the discussion (and ideas) coming!

The first time I heard Nicolai's concertino for trumpet was via YouTube. The same for Kreutzer's Variations in G for trumpet.

Armando Ghitalla recorded at least one of the Ponchielli concerti. He also recorded the Oskar Böhme concerto.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, aside from maybe Sergei Nakariakov, I have yet to hear anyone who has recorded better solo repertoire than Wynton Marsalis did back in the late 1980s - he set a HIGH bar back then that IMO has never been topped.

Of course he didn't record everything, but IMO anything worth it has been recorded at some point - find the ones you like and listen to those.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: I found some recordings on YouTube. Reply with quote

Nicolai's Concertino for trumpet & orchestra:
Allegro
Andante
Allegro
Claude Rippas (soloist)
Sinfonietta Schaffhausen conducted by Paul Haug

Offenbach's American Eagle Waltz, for cornet & orchestra.
Phil Collins (soloist)
Cincinnati Pops conducted by Erich Kunzel

Ponchielli's Concerto for trumpet & band (op.123)
Ponchiell's Fantasy on themes from La Traviata for cornet & band
Ponchielli's Concerto for cornet & band (op.198)
Gabriele Cassone (soloist)
Banda Civica Musicale di Soncino conducted by Luca Valenti.

Verdi's Adagio for trumpet & orchestra
I wasn't able to identify the soloist/ensemble/conductor.

I certainly heard of Phil Collins! Does he still play for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra?
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my final document I researched the solos used at Theo Charlier's instiution the Liège Conservatory. At that time (2012) very little of it had been recorded. The notable exception being the Charlier Solo de Concours. The document with musical examples from all the solos is available at: https://hdl.handle.net/11244/318776

David Hickman republished the works that were in public domain in an anthology: https://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku103042.php

Best,
Matt
neh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I found some recordings on YouTube. Reply with quote

Verdi's Adagio
Soloist: Robert Vanryne
Kölner Akademie, cond. by Michael Alexander Willens
neh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcstock wrote:
For my final document I researched the solos used at Theo Charlier's instiution the Liège Conservatory. At that time (2012) very little of it had been recorded. The notable exception being the Charlier Solo de Concours. The document with musical examples from all the solos is available at: https://hdl.handle.net/11244/318776

David Hickman republished the works that were in public domain in an anthology: https://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku103042.php

Best,
Matt

Is the Hickman compilation a reprint from existing editions? Or, newly edited with comments, anecdotes, historical info, style & performance suggestions etc. Thanks!
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neh wrote:
mcstock wrote:

Best,
Matt

Is the Hickman compilation a reprint from existing editions? Or, newly edited with comments, anecdotes, historical info, style & performance suggestions etc. Thanks!

We corrected some misprints in the earlier versions. There's a brief bio of the various composers.
A few years ago when I was trying to get some money from the university to do a CD Bert Truax recorded a couple for youtube. The funding never happened but I left the videos up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij-EnmCO95I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxuGsW46-4M

Best,
Matt
Kanne
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Verdi's Adagio for trumpet & orchestra
I wasn't able to identify the soloist/ensemble/conductor."

Verdi's Adagio was recorded by

Soloist: Edward Tarr, trumpet (premiered Feb 1, 1997, Münster Bad Säckingen)
Trumpet: not specified
Orchesterverein Bad Säckingen, cond. by Josef Polyak
Live recording issued by Südkurier Musikbox

Soloist: Kristián Kovács
Trumpet: Low D Trumpet with three Périnet valves
(François Sudre, Paris, c. 1865)
Fortepiano: Yukie Togashi (Julius Blüthner, Leipzig, 1874)
Recorded on "200 Jahre Ventile con variazioni", Thorofon CTH 2617/2, 2014
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: I found some recordings on YouTube. Reply with quote

neh wrote:

Verdi's Adagio
Soloist: Robert Vanryne
Kölner Akademie, cond. by Michael Alexander Willens

Thanks!

Kanne wrote:
Verdi's Adagio was recorded by

Soloist: Edward Tarr, trumpet (premiered Feb 1, 1997, Münster Bad Säckingen)
Trumpet: not specified
Orchesterverein Bad Säckingen, cond. by Josef Polyak
Live recording issued by Südkurier Musikbox

Soloist: Kristián Kovács
Trumpet: Low D Trumpet with three Périnet valves
(François Sudre, Paris, c. 1865)
Fortepiano: Yukie Togashi (Julius Blüthner, Leipzig, 1874)
Recorded on "200 Jahre Ventile con variazioni", Thorofon CTH 2617/2, 2014

It makes sense that the late Edward Tarr recorded the piece at one point. IIRC, he was the one who rediscovered it when romantic-era trumpet music was one of his topics of interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: