• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Has anyone heard of this sound technique?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Has anyone heard of this sound technique? Reply with quote

I was catching up on Tom Hooten’s masterclass and he mentioned this technique he learned from John Hagstrom where you take a straight mute and bend it down and back up to get a “zing” in your sound. Sam Huss also mentioned this and called it “squillo”

If anyone has a understanding or has tried this please let me know
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Do you have a clip?
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Hooten:

[url] https://www.dropbox.com/s/33uycsdbdubqqzq/FullSizeRender.mov?dl=0[/url]

Sam Huss:
[youtube] https://youtu.be/YdOtw86y3M0[/youtube]
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool approach. Using pitch bends to find the sound of the sweet spot is a great and common way to learn a resonant, projecting sound. You find the spot where the sound flys out of the horn and make every note sound like that. I’ve never heard of anyone using a mute to teach it, but it seems like a great way to make it easier to hear. I guess I’ll be digging out my mutes to try it out this afternoon.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, it's awesome that Sam Huss has entered the same conversation as Hooten. Love it.

JoseLindE4 mentions it. It's basically a way to help you discover where you are more resonant. The mute kind of amplifies the resonance because it really obviously "buzzes" or is "zingy" when you are playing more resonantly. It is just another tool to help you find that "sweet spot."

Now, once you've found it, especially without the mute, it's not like you magically get it forever. You must know what good trumpet sounds like (i.e., a LOT of listening to great players). If you are constantly imagining a terrible sound, it doesn't matter how much of this you do. So, you find the sound you like then you have to remember the experience of playing that sound and the characteristics of that sound that you become of aware of as you play it. Commit that sound to memory, blend it with the sound of your internal trumpet, and you have a winning combination.

(After you get more comfortable doing this, it helps to have something to record yourself with and also to adjust the tuning slide to your baseline intonation).

Long story short, make the mute buzz more.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Now, once you've found it, especially without the mute, it's not like you magically get it forever. You must know what good trumpet sounds like (i.e., a LOT of listening to great players). If you are constantly imagining a terrible sound, it doesn't matter how much of this you do. So, you find the sound you like then you have to remember the experience of playing that sound and the characteristics of that sound that you become of aware of as you play it. Commit that sound to memory, blend it with the sound of your internal trumpet, and you have a winning combination.

I have a lot of years studying with a student of Stamp and this was a big part of it though we never used a mute. I believe that doing those exercises with a pro playing along in unison with him demonstrating the technique and providing a sound to emulate was invaluable. I'm not at all sure I would had gotten any of this right without in-person lessons.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: