• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What do I need to setup shure sm57 mic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: What do I need to setup shure sm57 mic Reply with quote

Hello,

I’m thinking about purchasing the shure sm57 microphone to record auditions etc. I have just a chrome book to use for this and I want to know what I would need to set everything up correctly. Thanks
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need an audio interface that can provide phantom power to your microphone. I have a gently used Scarlett Solo (it’s an awesome and affordable interface) for sale at the moment. Please send me a PM if you’re interested.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this doesn't really matter, but the Sure SM57 does NOT require phantom power.

But Goby's point stands: you will need an audio interface between your microphone and your computer, and the Scarlett Solo is a great choice if your needs are strictly limited to one mic.

You say you're using a Chromebook. What software are you planning to use? I owned a Chromebook many years ago, and it was profoundly limited regarding processor power, RAM, and the type of software it could run. I have absolutely no idea whether a Chromebook can even support an audio interface, let alone run recording software appropriate for an audition.

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you're on a limited budget, which is understandable. But you might be WAY better off borrowing someone else's PC and using a great program like Reaper (free for 30 days) or Audacity (free always, but much more limited and harder to use). A PC would run the Scarlett Solo interface with no problems at all and you would save yourself several headaches.

Good luck, please feel free to PM me for any additional info...
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for trumpet, a new-ish iphone with the spire recording app will do a better job than a 57/interface/chromebook. The mic on iphone is very good. You need to have a proper recording app though like spire. SPire is free
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
TrumpetTAC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the SM57 and the Scarlett Solo.
The mic is awesome and I am impressed with the Scarlett interface, the setup videos from the manufacturer were amazing. I was creating great recordings very quickly after installation. The Scarlett Solo is a little over $100 and comes with recording software.

The difference between the SM57 and the iPhone mic is tremendous. BUT you probably need more than a Chromebook to record to...
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get away with an XLR to USB converter - I did for a little bit (I used a Blue Icicle) but ultimately you'll get better mileage out of an interface that has a real preamp.

Learn to use reverb and compression - those will be your friends to get something polished and professional sounding, but don't use too much reverb.

Also, you'll get better results with a bit of distance from the microphone - a foot or so seems to be better than shorter distances.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For high quality audio recording there are two options:

1. Microphone + Interface. You will need microphone with xlr + xlr cable + audio interface + microphone stand + earphone monitor +usb or lightning adaptor for cellphone recording. $ 400 give or take

2. Audio recorder. This audio recorders such as Zoom can be simple such as the Zoom H1 or have audio interface Zoom H4. The one with the interface will work as a high quality external microphone and also allow you to plug more microphones such as the shure sm57. $ 240 for the Zoom H4 give or take.

here is my experience:

I wanted to record some videos with high quality audio for instagram, and improve the audio quality on my zoom lessons with my teacher.

I went with the microphone + interface route but after some time with it and some more online research and talking to my teacher I realized it was not the best choice. The main reason is the configuration is super bulky and takes a lot of space and is not portable. To give you perspective all the equipment requires a box the size of a double trumpet case for storage and when set up it takes floor space and almost half of the desk.

The audio recorder with interface is very portable, does the same job, works very nice with Iphone, works with cameras and with PC. Also it is less money than the whole microphone interface set up.

Regards.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also some USB microphones that do a pretty good job all on their own - the Blue Yeti is one example. I've heard some very good results of trumpet recorded on a Blue Yeti - the mic itself is the interface.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jairo_saade wrote:
Hi,

For high quality audio recording there are two options:

1. Microphone + Interface. You will need microphone with xlr + xlr cable + audio interface + microphone stand + earphone monitor +usb or lightning adaptor for cellphone recording. $ 400 give or take

2. Audio recorder. This audio recorders such as Zoom can be simple such as the Zoom H1 or have audio interface Zoom H4. The one with the interface will work as a high quality external microphone and also allow you to plug more microphones such as the shure sm57. $ 240 for the Zoom H4 give or take.

here is my experience:

I wanted to record some videos with high quality audio for instagram, and improve the audio quality on my zoom lessons with my teacher.

I went with the microphone + interface route but after some time with it and some more online research and talking to my teacher I realized it was not the best choice. The main reason is the configuration is super bulky and takes a lot of space and is not portable. To give you perspective all the equipment requires a box the size of a double trumpet case for storage and when set up it takes floor space and almost half of the desk.

The audio recorder with interface is very portable, does the same job, works very nice with Iphone, works with cameras and with PC. Also it is less money than the whole microphone interface set up.

Regards.

Thank you all for the replies. I’m looking at purchasing the zoom h4n and sm57 to it. Probably gonna get the file to my computer then to my phone to edit using GarageBand . Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: