• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who are your favorite trumpet soloist in 2021?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I've almost completely stopped listening to trumpet players/playing. It's just not what drives me anymore.

I spent so many years with my nose in the air thinking that there wasn't anything good about pop or rock music, and then I came to realize that this is exactly where a lot of wonderful creativity and musicianship lies.

Don't misunderstand - I'm not talking about stuff like "Hey Mickey" or other forgettable tripe, but when you start digging into the stuff that was recorded by the Wrecking Crew in LA, the Funk Brothers of Motown, or the Muscle Shoals Swampers rhythm section, you start hearing some astonishingly good musicianship and creativity.

I wish when I was in high school I'd have spent a little more time listening in to some of that stuff rather than playing the same Maynard, Wynton and Maurice records over and over.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't listen to enough classical players so my answer is limited to jazz. My all time favorites are Pops and Brownie. I think their combination of skill and melodic sense is unmatched. As for current players, I'm really digging Ambrose Akinmusire. He's pushing the art forward in a really interesting way while not getting too far off the map for my taste.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: