• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C trumpets?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: C trumpets? Reply with quote

OK - I'm currently upgrading the stable (staying at home a lot is financially good for me, it appears) and next in line is a good C trumpet.
My B-flats are a Marcinkiewicz 4X and a Schilke X3, and sometimes a Miyashiro - I like a nice, open blow.

So ... other than a CX3, what else is along these lines? Nice open feel, round full sound, good build.
And no, I am not a fan of Bach trumpets.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 229 25A plays open and freely, has a fantastic sound, and is built like a tank.

It’s a Bach though...
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: C trumpets? Reply with quote

dershem wrote:
OK - I'm currently upgrading the stable (staying at home a lot is financially good for me, it appears) and next in line is a good C trumpet.
My B-flats are a Marcinkiewicz 4X and a Schilke X3, and sometimes a Miyashiro - I like a nice, open blow.

So ... other than a CX3, what else is along these lines? Nice open feel, round full sound, good build.

Kanstul 1510
Flip Oakes C Trumpet

Good luck.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke has several models of C trumpet and although I am currently playing an early Elkhart Bach LB 229 with a Larsen lead pipe, I would have no trouble playing any one of the Schilke C trumpets. I especially like the CX5 and the C3HD. I would also seriously consider one of the Shires C trumpets. Had I not stumbled across my Bach 229, I would probably be playing a Schilke or Shires.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a large-bore Bach. The overwhelming choice of professionals.

Why are you not a fan? Don't worry about rumors of consistency problems- you only need one!
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're leaning toward Schilke, I really liked the S22CHD over both C3HD or C5.

Those are the ones I've played. I also enjoy Yamaha Chicago and New York and Bach Philadelphia. I understand the Bach Cleveland is exceptional as well but I haven't played one. I played a Burbank Benge that was exceptional as well but I'm guessing you prefer new. My Benchmark C trumpet is similar to the Schilke S22CHD. There are lots of online retailers with good trial policies. I've had amazing service from Thompson Music.

Happy hunting.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: C trumpets Reply with quote

Hello all,
I started out with a Schilke C4. Then had a C1L, Yamaha 6445, S22C, Bach 229/25A, then recently a C3HD and a vintage C5L. The Bach was an early 70's horn and played nicely, though I thought I was looking for something different. hence the C3HD. The C5L fell into my lap, and currently it is a toss-up as compared to the C3HD. Each has its' strengths. The C5L feels more like my B3 which is really comfortable. I think Schilke-wise, the C5 is the more popular C.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternate to Bach would be Yamaha.

A lot of pros treat the C as a different instrument than Bb, or at least play it with a different approach. Sounds like you already have a few horns that you like, so why buy a C and insist that it play like your Bb?

The industry standards would be Bach and Yamaha, but you might want to check out Shires, Powell, and maybe even Adams. I've tried Shires and Powell, and they're both amazing. Haven't tried an Adams C yet, but their Bb's are quite good. I don't know how popular Schilke C's are, but I would personally go for the HD models over the regular C/X-series if I had to buy a Schilke C.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:

Why are you not a fan? Don't worry about rumors of consistency problems- you only need one!

Probably because they suck. Pros just put up with them, though less than they did before. Also, there are numerous services explicitly designed to make them suck less.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Probably because they suck. Pros just put up with them, though less than they did before. Also, there are numerous services explicitly designed to make them suck less".

Yeah... that's gotta be it.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two C's I have used are fine: Bach 239 mlb, Schilke C7 step bore
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to find a C trumpet that works for you is to go to a great trumpet-centric music store like Thompson Music and try everything they have in stock.

You indicated that you are not a fan of Bach trumpets. I'd still urge you to try Bach C trumpets even if you refuse to buy one. They are a benchmark and may help you get a sense of the characteristics of the other horns you try.

Bach, Yamaha and Shires would be the brands I'd recommend starting with. The model is really a matter of personal preference. Beyond that, I've played fine C trumpets made by Getzen/Edwards, Van Laar, Fred Powell...out of the many I have tried.

In the case of Getzen, you might want to consider the 3071 C trumpet. It is designed to play with the open feel of a Bb trumpet, which may be what you are looking for.

Good luck!
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
The best way to find a C trumpet that works for you is to go to a great trumpet-centric music store like Thompson Music and try everything they have in stock.

You indicated that you are not a fan of Bach trumpets. I'd still urge you to try Bach C trumpets even if you refuse to buy one. They are a benchmark and may help you get a sense of the characteristics of the other horns you try.

Bach, Yamaha and Shires would be the brands I'd recommend starting with. The model is really a matter of personal preference. Beyond that, I've played fine C trumpets made by Getzen/Edwards, Van Laar, Fred Powell...out of the many I have tried.

In the case of Getzen, you might want to consider the 3071 C trumpet. It is designed to play with the open feel of a Bb trumpet, which may be what you are looking for. Good luck!

Getzen 3072 Demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF1ZI8wBxqU
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Schilke C3Lb. It's pretty open, and I can get a round sound when I want and I can get it to ring when I want. I attribute that to the thin all copper bell. I can't get that round sound with the Schilkes I've owned with a yellow brass bell.

At a NAMM show one year, I blew a stock C5 and a stock C3, and the C3 was significantly more open than the C5. I was told it was because of a bigger tuning slide on the C3.

I prefer the more focused sound of the tighter Schilke 3-bell on the C5 and C3 over the more spread sound of the Schilke 1-bell.

If you decide on a Schilke C-trumpet, I think you would like one with a copper bell to get the round sound.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Probably because they suck. Pros just put up with them, though less than they did before. Also, there are numerous services explicitly designed to make them suck less.

They play much better if you "blow".

Seriously, the OP is looking elsewhere. I like my Bach 239 CML. But to each their own. Lots of good suggestions already given.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Yamaha/Malone conversion in the Marketplace with a Malone MC2 pipe (not mine.) If I didn't already have 3 C's plus a rotary, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. I have one like it, except with the MC1 pipe; I call it the "Flamethrower". The MC2 should blow even more freely. If I were in the market, I'd hop on it ASAP...

HTH

Ben
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: C trumpets? Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
dershem wrote:

Kanstul 1510
Flip Oakes C Trumpet

Good luck.

Finding a C Wild Thing would probably take as long as it took to find my Rembrandts! They're great, though.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:

I've played numerous Bachs and the only one I ever liked was my 36G trombone. I just am not fond of the way they feel.
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With C trumpets, the biggest question to answer is “what job do I need this to do for me?” If you want to play it in an orchestra, the choice should be clear depending on the rep you are playing and who you need to blend with. If you are looking to just avoid transposing in certain gigs but still want to sound like a Bb, you have many more options.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

They play much better if you "blow".

Seriously, the OP is looking elsewhere. I like my Bach 239 CML. But to each their own. Lots of good suggestions already given.

Mike

Lol.

Exactly. It's a great time to look for a C, if that's your thing. It's not just "get a Bach" because that's basically your only choice. There are lots of options.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: