• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Texas State School Trumpet Studios

View previous topic :: View next topic  
txtrumpet2021

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Best Texas State School Trumpet Studios Reply with quote

Hi -

I am a high school senior in the DFW area and looking at schools for my undergrad in music. I've heard of a few good trumpet studios in my area but wanted to get opinons here. A plus would be an inexpensive school and i want to stay in state - ive heard state schools are financially the best option.

Thanks for your help!
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down it would be UNT.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
txtrumpet2021

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNT is on the list. looking for some other... I've been told UNT is tough for undergrad, maybe better for grad school.

Thanks for other options!
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Kyle Millsap at TAMUK is a great teacher and has a super active studio. (BTW, he's a UNT alum...)

HTH

Ben
Raya2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baylor with Wiff Rudd, he is a fantastic teacher.

UT Austin is also a good option, Billy Hunter is teaching right now.

UNT is also a good choice, big program with great mentorship as well.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txtrumpet2021 wrote:
UNT is on the list. looking for some other... I've been told UNT is tough for undergrad, maybe better for grad school.

Thanks for other options!

I did grad school at UNT. Yeah, it was tough, but it gave me the chance to prove myself against some of the best. Some of the undergrads were as good or better than many of the grad students, but everyone was good. The atmosphere was competetive but also very supportive. Players always encouraged each other and there was none of the cutthroat culture that I had heard horror stories about prior to enro!ling.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is that, at UNT if you're not strong, you could spend your entire undergraduate time studying with teaching assistants. They're not bad, I knew some who went onto have distinguished careers but, just sayin'.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that, at UNT if you're not strong, you could spend your entire undergraduate time studying with teaching assistants. They're not bad, I knew some who went onto have distinguished careers but, just sayin'.

I had the chance to study with one of the professors during a summer term, but since I was a jazz studies major and my minor concentration was trumpet, I normally took lessons with TAs. They were professionals and knew their stuff and I learned just as much with them as I would have with the regular professors. The system at UNT is very good, and with weekly master classes there is a lot of crossover learning. The list of successful players out of UNT is long and distinguished. Marvin Stamm, Dan Fornero, Mike Williams, Craig Johnson, Grant Peters, Frank Green, Gary Grant, Scott Engelbright, just to name a few...
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raya2 wrote:
Baylor with Wiff Rudd, he is a fantastic teacher.

UT Austin is also a good option, Billy Hunter is teaching right now.

UNT is also a good choice, big program with great mentorship as well.

Having attended the first and third options listed, I’d sooner recommend Baylor. Much more undergrad-driven program and IMHO, a better one overall.

I’d also recommend Kevin Finamore at SMU or Barbara and Charlie at Rice if you’re interested in the orchestral playing route.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Best Texas State schools for study Reply with quote

Young man, being from Texas you are already at the epicenter of private and state schools that have outstanding trumpet faculties. Take a look at those who teach. You can actually choose and if it isn't working for you for some reason transferring wouldn't be out of the question. Your state institutions are all great but you will start running into competition for everything from the gitgo and ought to prepare yourself for it. Orchestra or jazz, there are many trying for a few spots in advancing in music. Good Luck
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNT would be the obvious 1st choice. It is competitive but, as mentioned, almost any school with a good program will be. If you have the chops that's where I'd be looking.

Baylor (Wiff Rudd) is also an excellent choice but it is a private school with private school tuition. Scholarships are available.

Rice is a good school.

I'm not sure about out-of-state tuition but OU has a great music program and top shelf trumpet professors (Dr. Karl Sievers).

UT Arlington has a good program and it's budget friendly if there is such a thing anymore.

Take this for what it's worth but one of the best kept pocket-friendly college secrets in Texas is starting at a 2-year state school and co-enrolling with one of the majors. You don't necessarily need to co-enroll but it helps. If you finish with your accredited AA in music (core complete) and pass your piano barrier the doors are open for Tech, A&M, UT, also some private schools, etc. as a junior. The biggest issue with the 2-year schools is dealing with the 13th graders, if you can overlook them it's a very budget friendly way to a BA. If you make it to year 2 you'll find only a handful of music majors left and you get a lot of personal time. It's an option. If Sparky Koerner is still at College of the Mainland (Galveston/Texas City) there's a great trumpet guy at a 2-year state school.

BTW: Don't overlook Tech. I like the program at Tech and I've seen UNT & Tech move people back and forth. My wife actually liked living in Lubbock for 4 years!

You have a lot of very good options in Texas. Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

Last edited by ECLtmpt2 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admission into UT is a tough road academically. I hope you have good grades. It’s a massive school with lots of resources. Billy Hunter is a fantastic musician and my second hand impression is that he’s a stand-up person. There’s a long tradition of great teaching and playing. Football might one day be good again.

UNT has a massive music department. There are lots of great players doing pretty much everything. Things may have changed in recent years, but you’d likely spend some of your time with a grad student. They would likely be a fine player and teacher in their own right, but you might not get much time with the main professors at least at first. Lots of fine players and teachers have passed through UNT. If you work hard there, you’ll succeed.

Back in the day, Rice was free to whoever could get in. I don’t know the financial situation anymore. If you can make it in, this might be the best place to go in the country.

I’ve known some great players that went through Baylor. Being a religiously affiliated school, make sure to find out how much of a role that plays in student life and makes sure that’s something that you would be comfortable with. I don’t know how Baptist Baylor is in practice and some students are well suited to a religious institution. Just make sure that your values align with their values in practice.

SMU has turned out some excellent players. I don’t know about costs since it’s private as well.
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rice, with music as a minor.
If you have ANY skills or abilities in another discipline, please consider that a your “money making/career” path, and keep music as an avocation/passion.
It would still be fulfilling and much more lucrative. Trust me, “been there, done that.”
Raya2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some options, some have already been mentioned (in no particular order):
- UNT
- Baylor
- UT Austin
- UT El Paso
- SMU
- Rice

I would recommend scheduling a lesson with the teachers at those schools and see which teacher is a good fit for your needs. What may work for some may not necessarily work for you. I think it's easier now since you could even get a lesson from any of them via Zoom without having to spend on travel expenses.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about University of Houston? Mark Hughes’ knowledge of the industry is unquestionable. I don’t know him well but so many great players talk about their time with Mark Hughes as their teacher. Plus all the resources Houston has to offer.

If I could give undergraduates one piece of advice, it would be to do whatever it takes to be able to participate in summer festivals. Really- whatever it takes. Take out loans, sell your body to science, start a TikTok fundraiser, whatever. These festivals fortify prep skills, audition skills, connect you with like minds, help build a network, and so many other things. Being a great musician is as much a mindset as it is a skillset, so being in a community of people whose head is in the game is really important, in my opinion. It also connects you with the writ large standard, not whatever standard your college peers are playing at. I think participating in summer festivals broadens the path to success quite a bit, whichever school you end up at.

One other thought: if you do not get into your top school, you should consider waiting a semester or year and trying again. I think a lot of people end up at a backup school because they absolutely feel the need to be enrolled somewhere, but it isn’t true. In fact, I’ve seen this more often lead to regret. In any case, the schools aren’t going anywhere, they will all still be there next year. Gap years are becoming increasingly common, especially if it means going to your top choice school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: