• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Suggestions for practice mute?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piggybacking on the original question here. I may have the chance to get a cheap Manny Klein practice mute made by Humes and Berg. Any experience? Looking for a practice mute to leave in the office and brighten up my day when I have to start really early.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the miniature mute you could make yourself from a filed down wine cork with a 3/16" hole bored through center. Use this to plug a Harmon mute without stem.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
If you already own a harmon mute, playing it with the stem removed ....

That's what I do. When traveling and staying at a hotel, I use a harmon mute with the TV on for a little background noise. I've never received a complaint.

But If I need to play as quiet as possible, I use a Sshh mute practice mute.

https://www.sshhmute.com/collections/sshhmute

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Base on everyone's recommendations, I purchased the sshhmute (practice mute) from Austin Custom Brass. Great mute and crazy great service from the folks at ACB. Thanks all !
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the upmute, does anyone have any experience with it that could tell me what the resistance is like?

I don't need the quietest mute around, so I'm happy to play with a bit more noise, if it frees up the resistance.

Having used the bremner mutes, I find the resistance to be too big a difference between muted and unmuted. While the upmute isn't a particularly cheap option, I'd like to get some opinions, rather than just rely on sales fluff.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Rejano? I have one but don't use it because the Silent Mute and Best Brass are quieter. But they both have a fair amount of resistance and intonation problems. The Rejano is still quiet, just not as much, and it's the most free-blowing practice mute I've played, and I've played a lot, quietness being my overriding factor.
https://rejanomutes.com/

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sd4f wrote:
I'm interested in the upmute, does anyone have any experience with it that could tell me what the resistance is like?

I don't need the quietest mute around, so I'm happy to play with a bit more noise, if it frees up the resistance.

Having used the bremner mutes, I find the resistance to be too big a difference between muted and unmuted. While the upmute isn't a particularly cheap option, I'd like to get some opinions, rather than just rely on sales fluff.

I just got a Stomvi UpMute from the TH Marketplace that came with a gently used Stomvi 4v Bb tpt purchase. The seller had all of these Stomvi accessories, including the UpMute and Stomvi straight mute, both of which are excellent. I have had one of those small Best Brass practice mutes for quite a few years, which has been the softest practice mute that I've ever tried. Both the Stomvi and the Best Brass use neoprene "wrap" completely around the stem, so that no sound escapes other than through the small hole at the end (on each of these mutes). Incidentally, the instructions state not to twist the mute when inserting to avoid putting wear on the neoprene; just push it in with slight pressure until you attain a seal. That's all.

https://stomvi-usa.com/product/upmute/

The Stomvi Upmute is $85, which is what I spent a few years ago on the Best Brass practice mute, and which is now about $100 from ACB....

https://www.austincustombrass.biz/best-brass-warm-up-practice-mute-for-trumpet/

The Stomvi plays better in tune than any on the market that I've ever played. It is a little louder than the Best Brass and has a more buzzy quality to the sound. I had the lead player on our present show test it last night at our dress rehearsal, and his comments were the same: good quality construction, very good intonation/response/playability from bottom to top, buzzy tone quality was "different" but acceptable for its purpose.

[My Stomvi straight mute got equal praises from him. It is now my No. 1 straight mute. I've been using a TrumCor aluminum straight mute, especially for loud straight mute passages (yes, it is a thing), and it has excellent pitch/response/et al. The Stomvi is a little warmer, super light (of plastic construction?), but has incredible intonation from bottom to top. I'm now using the Stomvi for most straight mute needs.]

Quite frankly I did not expect these results. I know Stomvi makes quality products, but I did not think these two mutes would "overtake" the "positions" of my main practice and straight mutes. I would still keep the Best Brass on hand for those moments in a church setting, where I need to play a note or two extremely softly prior to an exposed entrance after a rest period. The buzzy quality of the Stomvi would be heard, I think. However, comparing/contrasting playability, as in practicing, say, in a hotel room, I would definitely choose the Stomvi.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on a bit of a practice mute safari this past year. I found the best were the Divitt, Rejano, and the one designed by Mark Hughes, principal trumpet with the Houston (I think) Symphony. They all were the best as far as resistance and intonation, although the small Best Brass along with their copies, were slightly quieter. When travelling, I usually take my Dillon clone of the Best Brass since it is the most compact. Locally, I use the Rejano, mainly because it fits in my mute bag the best.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sd4f wrote:

Check out the mute I make.

www.divitt-trumpets.com

Specifically designed for people who live in apartments etc and can't often do open horn playing.
More open blowing than a Harmon, and in tune from low F# to at high G.

There are plenty of comparisons and reviews on YouTube so you can see how it plays and not just hear it from the guy selling them.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewan, when you say, "The Divitt Practice Mute was created after trying dozens of practice mutes. The quietest mutes were too stuffy, and most mutes didn't play well over the entire range of the trumpet", do you mean that, while more open blowing, that your mutes are louder than the quietist mutes? Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Ewan, when you say, "The Divitt Practice Mute was created after trying dozens of practice mutes. The quietest mutes were too stuffy, and most mutes didn't play well over the entire range of the trumpet", do you mean that, while more open blowing, that your mutes are louder than the quietist mutes? Thanks.

Yes. My mute is louder than silent brass and best brass.
Those mutes are great if you just need to get your lips going backstage or some place where silence is the #1 goal.
The quieter the mute, the more back pressure and tuning problems occur.

I believe that if you practice with a bad practice mute that forces you to strain your chops and teaches your ears and body to do all sorts of gymnastics to play in tune, that you would be better off not practicing at all.

My mute is dampens the sound slightly less than the Bremner, as seen in comparison videos on YouTube. Off the top of my head it's was maybe 4db or so difference in a non scientific comparison.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:
sd4f wrote:

Check out the mute I make.

www.divitt-trumpets.com

Specifically designed for people who live in apartments etc and can't often do open horn playing.
More open blowing than a Harmon, and in tune from low F# to at high G.

There are plenty of comparisons and reviews on YouTube so you can see how it plays and not just hear it from the guy selling them.

I have this mute in purple and it works great. Intonation is great and not a lot of back pressure compared to other practice mutes. Plays in tune as well.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ewan.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw my practice mute in the mix as well.

These work as an attachment to the end of my mutes with the removable cork system. There are two versions of the attachment that provide different playing experiences. The open version is more free blowing but a bit louder, the tight version is quieter but has a tighter blow. We have the second version of these shipping now. (improved design)

The practice mute attachments are available as part of a bundle right now and are a pretty good deal I think, and discount code Smute10 is still active.

https://s-mute.com/products/new-s-mute-practice-mute-attachment

https://s-mute.com/products/new-multifunction-mute-bundle

Link

Department of Music (Trumpet)
California State University, Fresno
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: