• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

LeBlanc F357 Flugel Copper Bell Arturo Sandoval

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: LeBlanc F357 Flugel Copper Bell Arturo Sandoval Reply with quote

Hi, has anyone owned a LeBlanc F357 Flugel Copper Bell Arturo Sandoval model. If so, have you noticed that it is hard to tune to a tuner at 440. When I play at my church I can't really tune to the electric piano either. The lead pipe is pushed al the way in an I still am flat, but not by much. I'm wondering if the changing mouthpieces would make a differences. I'm playing on a Bach3c Flugel piece. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Thanks David for the catch.

Last edited by RickN on Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:01 am; edited 2 times in total
dmf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to nit pick but I presume you mean that you are always FLAT. Pushing the lead pipe in on a flugel will only make the instrument sharper!?!

Regards - David
craigtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: F357 Reply with quote

Maybe its an air thing? I have an F357 and I use a Bach 3C with it but I have never had any trouble with intonation at all.
1950/60's Couesnon Monopole Flugel
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to revive an old thread...

I'm looking for a flugelhorn and the Leblanc F357 copper-bell flugelhorn came to my attention.
Searching for some reviews or opinions about the flugel, I didn't find much usefull at all.
What I could find so far is that that some say it has intonation issues and that there are better horns than the F357, however others absolutely love it without leaving any reason why.
Of course I know there will be always a better instrument and it's also about one's personal taste but I guess a flugel for $1500 -$2000 can't be that bad... I mean it was good enough for Arturo Sandoval in the 90s.

So is there anybody out there who plays or played a Leblanc F357 flugelhorn and can give us some review on how it plays and how it sounds?
Are there any flaws or issues with the horn?
What do you love about it?
Does anybody know the copper-bell version?

PLEASE let us know!
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the taper on your mouthpiece. If your horn takes a small taper and your playing a large taper flugel piece. This could be your problem
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuningbell wrote:
Check the taper on your mouthpiece. If your horn takes a small taper and your playing a large taper flugel piece. This could be your problem

This was probably the OP's problem but the thread is from 2007 and has been revived in a different direction to just talk about the playing and sound characteristics of the horn.

There are a lot of threads here on TH that are directed to the question of how a horn plays and sounds. The problem with this is that the way a horn plays and sounds is very personal and very subjective and, thus, one player's impression may be dramatically different from another player's impression. That being the case, how are the responses really useful?

By and large, horns produce your sound, which is different from someone else's sound. The way it sounds and plays for Clark Terry isn't the way it's likely to sound and play for you.

Wynton sounds like Wynton on his Monette. Wynton sounded like Wynton on his Bach, too. The way Wynton's Monette and Bach sound and play for Wynton isn't the way they're likely to sound and play for you.

So, what someone says about the way a horn sounds and plays for that person has only a coincidental relationship to how the same horn will sound and play for you. It's too coincidental to have any objective validity.

My father was in the wine business. He used to say that he could tell you anything you wanted to know about a particular wine except the way it tastes. So, he could tell you about the grapes, the soil conditions, the climate, the wine making process, the history of the vineyard and wine maker, etc., etc. However, all that information didn't tell you how the wine would taste TO YOU because he couldn't tell you how the wine would taste TO YOU. The best he could do was to give you very general information (this is a dry red wine, this is a sweet white wine, etc. - how dry? how sweet? - your perceptions are personal and there is no way he could know what your personal perceptions would be).

The same holds true for horns. To one player the horn is "stuffy." To another player the horn is "free blowing." One player says the horn has "an easy high range." To another player the range "chokes out." Someone says that the horn is "bright and projects." The next player says the horn is "warm and dispersive."

We use "reviews" to make and justify our choices. The reliability of the process is highly questionable because people, their experiences, their perceptions of their experiences and their personal motivations and biases are all so inconsistent.

Of course this doesn't stop people from asking and it doesn't stop people from offering opinions. Factually, there's no substitute for playing the horn yourself. If you play it yourself you know how it sounds and plays FOR YOU. That's 100% reliable information and the only way you know for certain how the horn sounds and plays FOR YOU. It may be inconvenient or even impossible but it's still the only certain way.
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the long explanation but frankly, and I don't mean any offense, it's no help at all.

I'm quite aware that this is a very very subjective and personal topic.
Also, I know that the mouthpiece plays a huge role as well as the player itself.
If you are skilled enough you can make a trumpet or flugelhorn sound any way you want.
But nonetheless, every horn has certain tendencies on how it plays or which sound concept it supports.
I know Chet Baker and Maynard Ferguson sounded quite differently on their Con 38B but nobody would say a Conn 38B has loose slotting and a rather diffuse sound like a Martin Committee using a middle-of-the-road mouthpiece on both.
Nobody would call a Callet Superchops a trumpet made perfectly for ballads or a King Liberty a super broad, dark trumpet with a teutonic sound.
Sure, if you want you can make them sound like this but still any trumpet or flugelhorn has a certain tendency on how it plays.
Isn't that also the reason why there are so many different trumpet models?
They do play differently and that's what I'm interested in.

I'd like to know how a Leblanc F357 tends to sound and play and I'm aware of the danger that this isn't a question with an objective and absolute correct answer.
I'm happy with your personal thoughts and feelings about the horn as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: