• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benge 3 Flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Benge 3 Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Edit:
What has been your experience with the Benge 3 bell Flugelhorn when King owned the company between 1972-1983?

Last edited by DJtpt31 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one through Giardinelli's in 1980. I had to send it back to have the valves reworked and the threads on the upper valve casing second valve were distorted. It was made right and returned to me. It played well. The Silverplate was very thin and wore through on the bell where my right hand contacted it. I eventually had the entire horn replated.
In truth I enjoyed playing my friend's Yamaha 631 better. I bought a WT3X mouthpiece from Flip Oakes. I asked him his opinion on the Benge Fl3 and he didn't seem too keen on it.
I eventually found a Couesnon that gave me the sound I wanted.This was just my experience over thirty years of ownership.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:
I bought one through Giardinelli's in 1980. I had to send it back to have the valves reworked and the threads on the upper valve casing second valve were distorted. It was made right and returned to me. It played well. The Silverplate was very thin and wore through on the bell where my right hand contacted it. I eventually had the entire horn replated.
In truth I enjoyed playing my friend's Yamaha 631 better. I bought a WT3X mouthpiece from Flip Oakes. I asked him his opinion on the Benge Fl3 and he didn't seem too keen on it.
I eventually found a Couesnon that gave me the sound I wanted.This was just my experience over thirty years of ownership.

Thanks for sharing your insight. What was it about the Yamaha 631 that made it more enjoyable than the Benge?
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I liked the blow better as well as the sound. The 631 had a better core sound.
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Benge 3 UMI Flugelhorn. I got it as an even-up trade at a local instrument exchange shop for a the King trumpet that I purchased used for my daughter for 6th grade band, and a very nice silver Besson 10-10 trombone that I got from Goodwill really cheap. It was in almost mint condition when I got it. All the parts look Benge, and it plays just fine for me. I haven't had any problems with it. Don't diss on me too much. I own a real Benge trumpet too.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Benge_3_Flugelhorn.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/1947_Chicago_Benge_Trumpet.jpg
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a circa 1979 Flugel with a 3 bell. It was very reliable - some intonation quirks on fourth line D and below low C, but nothing out of the ordinary and easily addressed with mouthpiece options. The sound isn’t as lovely as the 5, but section blend and intonation management is far superior.

If you study the serial number lists on Joe Lill’s comprehensive Benge page, you’ll see that throughout the late 70s through the mid 80s, flugelhorn production ramped up, with batches of flugelhorn (dedicated subsets of serial numbers) increasing such that components of flugels made during the Zig Kanstul LA era were used for a while into the Eastlake end days.

I’ve been looking for that dream 5 bell with perfect pitch and few battle scars from the decades, though my current Flugel demands are limited.

Has anyone checking out this thread played one of the rare Flg1 Benges???

Happy practicing til it FEELS SO GOOD,
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: