• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ryan Kisor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Ryan Kisor Reply with quote

I saw Ryan live at The Jewell in Omaha on Friday. He was playing a Bach Strad trumpet and a Bach Strad cornet. I didn't get close enough to see the vintage/model of the trumpet but after the set he left the cornet on a stand so I got up close enough to read the bell stamp: New York U.S.A.

When you get on the player/horn combinations website Ryan is listed as playing a Martin Committee, Lawler, Schilke, Calicchio, Olds Clark Terry, Monette 994WJ (designed just for him), pre 1950 Selmer Grand Prix and a Monette MF model. No mention of Bach.

I just thought it was interesting. He played great.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the trumpet gold plated?
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
Was the trumpet gold plated?

No. Both horns were silver plated.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I think it’s funny how so many great players evolve to a Monette or another custom/boutique horn, and then come back to (or just play every so often) a Strad or Yamaha or Schilke. Goes to show that it is 100% the player, not the equipment.

If you get a decent Bach, it’s a heck of a horn. Can’t really beat it.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it was a bach strad cornet? I thought he used an Olds Super cornet.

I saw him with JALCO last year and he was playing a gold plated Schilke Faddis with no water key and a bell garland (Faddis personal mods). He sounded like a million bucks!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
Are you sure it was a bach strad cornet? I thought he used an Olds Super cornet.

I saw him with JALCO last year and he was playing a gold plated Schilke Faddis with no water key and a bell garland (Faddis personal mods). He sounded like a million bucks!

I'm 100% certain it was a Bach Strad cornet. I suspected it was a Bach Strad during the performance but during the break I went up near the stage and lit up the bell stamp with my cell phone to be certain. Absolutely, positively a Bach Strad cornet with a New York U.S.A. bell stamp.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:

I remember long ago reading an interview with Faddis. He was talking about his early days in NYC and how for a while, he and Lew Soloff were roomates. He said that Soloff was a collector and had something like 55 trumpets in the apartment. I don't think Lew was the only one. With tome of these guys I'm sure it's just pointless to try to nail down what they play cause I think they collect horns and try to play them all from time to time.

keith
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
Goby wrote:

I remember long ago reading an interview with Faddis. He was talking about his early days in NYC and how for a while, he and Lew Soloff were roomates. He said that Soloff was a collector and had something like 55 trumpets in the apartment. I don't think Lew was the only one. With tome of these guys I'm sure it's just pointless to try to nail down what they play cause I think they collect horns and try to play them all from time to time.

keith

Yes, I think that is accurate. There have recently been several horns for sale in which the listing claims they are owned by Ryan and are being sold for him.

Here's a current example on ebay (an Olds Standard in lacquer):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-F-E-Olds-Los-Angeles-Standard-Trumpet-Ryan-Kisor-Lacquer/202944289674?hash=item2f406c1b8a:g:w30AAOSwHlxeeSU5
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, Herseth went back to Bach!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: