• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hello (repeat)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skanker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Hello (repeat) Reply with quote

I decided I would repeat my 'hello' in this forum as BE is the main reason I'm here (I'm not sure the 'singing' bit has relevance here but I've included it for completeness) -

''I'm the singer in a ska/2tone covers band. I became a trumpet 'owner' a few years ago to try to add a little harmony to our Sax player's lines in between the singing parts. I have other musical distractions so trumpet hasn't had the attention it needs/deserves - looking to rectify that situation from now on with a view to promoting myself to 'player'

If anyone has any tips on juggling singing and playing I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for reading''

I'd like to add a couple of 'thank you's to Jeff, for writing the book and to Ko for supplying it to me.

I've had very little formal training and haven't studied any 'methods' so I feel I'm in a position where I don't have any preconceptions - it seems like a good thing to me.

I had a revelation last week when I happened to touch my tongue on my top lip and out popped a C above the staff (is that a 'high C'? - I'm a bit confused with the naming convention(s)). I wonder if this was a happy accident or a subconscious memory...

Anyway, I'm happy to be here and moving in more or less the right direction
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have been out of pocket for the past few days. Power/internet issues.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, glad you are starting in a good direction. Still, you really need to establish a good core before you do much with the extreme range of motion exercises (RO and RI). In BE, work on HTE, Crescendo, TOL, and Lip Slurs, following the lesson plan guidelines. You also need to be doing scale exercises and simple music. As others have mentioned, a live teacher can be useful for basic rudiments.

I had a longtime student who played in a ska band. They even won "Best Ska Band in America," and got to play on the Conan O'Brien show. That was over 20 years ago.

Jeff
Skanker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Sorry, I have been out of pocket for the past few days. Power/internet issues.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, glad you are starting in a good direction. Still, you really need to establish a good core before you do much with the extreme range of motion exercises (RO and RI). In BE, work on HTE, Crescendo, TOL, and Lip Slurs, following the lesson plan guidelines. You also need to be doing scale exercises and simple music. As others have mentioned, a live teacher can be useful for basic rudiments.

I had a longtime student who played in a ska band. They even won "Best Ska Band in America," and got to play on the Conan O'Brien show. That was over 20 years ago.

Jeff

Thank you for the welcome, Jeff. I hope your issues are now sorted or at least getting there.
Hitting that high C was a surprise and, I have to admit, it's quite addictive to keep going back to it, but, yes, I will take your advice and get into a proper (full) routine
'Best Ska Band in America'' is a title worth having - I hope they're still around.
Thanks again
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! Ko, I have no idea how you found this, but that was the band.

Jeff
Skanker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the video Ko - one day, maybe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: