• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Effective Sound Dampening

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EastBayTrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Effective Sound Dampening Reply with quote

Does anyone know of an effective means to dampen the sound in a small room. I’m a beginner and my horn is binary: hella loud or off, lol. Thanks to Caruso exercises I’m getting better but I thought I might look in to sound dampening to preserve my hearing.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re worried about your hearing, then ear plugs or a (practice) mute are the best choice. Dampening is more about reducing the echo than than it is about volume, though the percieved loudness may be less. Materials like felt, cloth and foam are good for dampening. For asthetics there are special ‘canvas paintings’ that dampen the sound while looking nice and auspicious on the wall, but those can be expensive. There’s also a barrel-like construction that you blow into that dampens the sound, but I forgot what it’s called...
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: don't play loud! Even if the alternative is no sound. Something in your playing is quite wrong then, try to play pp, p to mf, that's all.
If you want to use a mute, buy a Denis Wick adjustable cup mute, they have low resistance and play very well. They are very useful if you don't want to sit in all that noise all day. You can use that mute with no problems, it will do NO harm to your playing. I heard the same from some pro-players who use these mutes also for noise reduction at home:

https://www.deniswick.com/product/adjustable-cup-mute-for-trumpet-cornet/
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brass instruments are loud. Louder than most people (e.g., trumpeters) are willing to give them credit for. Playing a trumpet causes hearing damage over time.

I use sound blankets sold by:
https://www.vocalboothtogo.com/

to reduce reverberation in my practice room. They dampen sound within the room to some degree. They aren’t sound proofing.

Earplugs come in a wide variety of types. Some can produce an occlusion effect, which amplifies sound within the ear canal. I found this to be the case with custom fit Westone plugs with Etymotic filters. They made things worse for me.

Practice mutes will absolutely impact your non-muted playing. You have to try and decide what works and what’s worth the impact. The Mute Tube is also an option. I may consider one if/when the pandemic ends.

Learning to play softly sounds like the easiest and best advice to try first. It might also be the most musical approach.
EastBayTrumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried ear plugs but I lose the feedback with the subtleties of my sound. I have tried the 3M E-A-Rsoft brand. I would say the sound I hear is very similar to what a practice mute sounds like.

Mutes? I have tried a practice mute in the past and don't enjoy using them. The back pressure and muted sound are unappealing. After purchasing the mute I asked my neighbors if they could hear me play(w/out the mute) and they responded "barely" and also added they like the sound.

Playing softly is the obvious solution and I'm enjoying the process of learning via the Caruso exercises. It nice to hear the change in dynamics.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by EastBayTrumpeter on Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Playin4Fun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also concerned about protecting my hearing and have taken the following steps which have all helped. I am trying to play softer also, but still am concerned with occasionally experiencing ringing ears.

-I wear Etymotic ear plugs for higher decibel exercises
-I have added throw rugs on the hard surface floor
-I leave the clothes closet door open
-I have a heavy folded blanket hanging from a pants hanger from a door frame.
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanting to protect your hearing now is something I wish I'd been more cautious with years ago. It's a good idea to approach that now. A friend of mine (lives in a condo) has a pair of mattresses set up in a corner of his ~ 10 x 12 ft room and practices playing into them pointing at the 90 degree angle. He uses some sound foam on the other walls. It's ugly and reminds me of a cell in an asylum. Of course the room is dedicated to practice and not everyone has the luxury of taking up an entire room to play.

I tried using mutes and ended up with a collection of practice mutes, including the Yam Silent Brass, that are taking up space in an already crowded music room. Besides, the back pressure they create makes it difficult for me to adjust when playing open.

My go to for practice/sound dampening method is an old Stone-Lined Bucket mute but I've also found a Harmon with the stem removed is somewhat acceptable.

Doing something now about your hearing will pay off down the road.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am opposed to the idea that trumpets will make you deaf if you play them over a few years.

I have never suffered any problems with hearing loss I have been encouraged however to play loudly and blast out the tones by people who should know better.

delano is totally nailing it. If you fear for your life and your hearing while playing and cannot play quieter than the volumes needed to raise the dead then something is wrong.

It is possible to play trumpet and cornet quietly it is about control and embouchure development. It is possible to play almost silently but it takes many years practice to achieve this and tone can suffer when you play too quietly.

Beginners have huge difficulty playing pp but that does not mean they should not aspire to playing pp.

Soft and gentle is the way to go.

I recommend using a bubble mute or a practice mute.

I use bubble mute at home and nobody hears me.

Mutes can affect adversely your playing but usually this is because they are used wrongly and the player is often trying to blow the roof off into the mute and then complains the mute offers too much resistance.

Play the mute gently and you wont suffer resistance issues

Trumpets are very loud if you play them very loud. Trumpets are soft if you play them soft, but you have to know how to play them soft or you just end up playing loud.

As an anecdote

I was invited to play at a table in a bar for a small group who were celebrating a birthday so I agreed. I played happy birthday and several popular tunes.

I played softly so as not to disturb others too much

When I ended my set I asked the table next to them, just 6 feet away and 10 feet away from where I was playing, if I had disturbed them and they said no they were not even aware I had been playing.

They had not even heard me above their conversation.

It is not only possible to play quietly but it is easy to play quietly when you know how,

Seek a teacher on this to help you learn to play moderately
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Playin4Fun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very interesting and helpful trumpetherald thread with information on sound energy and hearing loss at https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1260463 . I am still researching and digesting the information. I don't want to be overly cautious, but understand that hearing damage can't be reversed. I also downloaded a free soundmeter app for observation of my practice sound levels.[/url]
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember these?

"The Peacemaker Practice Mute"

Bizarrely, I have three of them...two never opened. Lo-tech, but surprisingly effective, though a little fragile.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aRhj8mdsqVuSiWn49
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playin4Fun wrote:
There is a very interesting and helpful trumpetherald thread with information on sound energy and hearing loss at https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1260463 . I am still researching and digesting the information. I don't want to be overly cautious, but understand that hearing damage can't be reversed. I also downloaded a free soundmeter app for observation of my practice sound levels.[/url]

I like dB Meter and use dB-A (A weighting).

Have someone take readings next to your ear while playing at a range of volumes. You’ll be surprised.

Trumpets are loud, even while played ‘softly.’
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
I am opposed to the idea that trumpets will make you deaf if you play them over a few years.

There are other types of hearing damage that don’t necessarily include loss, such as tinnitus and hyperacusis. Both can have tremendous impacts on one’s quality of life.

Last edited by arthurtwoshedsjackson on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:00 am; edited 3 times in total
Skanker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
There’s also a barrel-like construction that you blow into that dampens the sound, but I forgot what it’s called...

Is it the Mute Tube?
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: I remember. Reply with quote

jimspeedjae wrote:
Anyone remember these?

"The Peacemaker Practice Mute"

Bizarrely, I have three of them...two never opened. Lo-tech, but surprisingly effective, though a little fragile.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aRhj8mdsqVuSiWn49

I remember the Peacemaker! I also remember searching high & low for one to buy years ago. At the time they seemed like a cheaper and lighter alternative to the first generation Yamaha Silent Brass. The manufacturer pulled them off the market right around the time I was interested in purchasing it. You're lucky to have two unopened Peacemakers. I bet you can get a good price for them if you decide to flip 'em on eBay.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skanker wrote:
hibidogrulez wrote:
There’s also a barrel-like construction that you blow into that dampens the sound, but I forgot what it’s called...

Is it the Mute Tube?

Yeah, couldnt remember the name. Thanks.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurtwoshedsjackson said

"There are other types of hearing damage that don’t necessarily include loss, such as tinnitus and hyperacusis. Both can have tremendous impacts on one’s quality of life."

I think that is very true and well said.

But I would say if you truly believe that playing the trumpet results in tinitus hyperacusis and hearing damage in yourself or your audiences why are you doing it.

I have no desire to hurt or injur people or myself so I make sure that cannot happen.

I ask this, does speech at normal levels result in hearing loss or hearing damage.

Does chatting quietly to a friend result in tinitus

Does speaking on the telephone result in hyperacusis.

We can play at these sound levels if we choose to.

Many trumpet players play very very loudly through choice and ignorance.

Some players play horrifically loudly.

We are in control of the instrument not the other way round.

Speech is 60 decibels we can play at that 60 db level

Hearing damage does not occur below 70 db this is known.

The db scale is logarithmic that means every 10 db increase is a doubling in loudness.

What this means is we can play if we choose to less that one half of the volume that is needed to damage hearing.

Sir Thomas Beecham famously said "Brass bands are all very well in their place - outdoors and several miles away"

There is a reason for that, they play too damn loud so lets stop doing it.

Maybe if we do, people will want to hear us instead of wanting to avoid us.

It is in our own interests to address this.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Playin4Fun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern is the same as the concern of the OP, avoiding hearing damage from practicing in a small room. I am practicing 2 to 3 hours a day in a small room and sometimes noticing ringing in my ears at night. Sound energy drops quickly with distance, but a small room can contain and reflect the energy right back in a short distance. I am trying to play softer, but also playing range extending and flexibility exercises where I invariably seem to get loud. Last night I used a Db meter and measured an average of 69 Db and peak of 101. I want to play open and without ear plugs most of the time, but also want to understand when to be concerned. I have musician friends with substantial hearing loss and don't want that for myself, if I can avoid it.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just my opinion

There are 3 areas that can be addressed

The first is the location. The room itself can be soundproofed, hard surfaces reflect, soft surfaces absorb.

The second is the immediate surroundings. Playing into a chamber that is lined with sound absorbing material cuts down sound, A large cardboard box into which you play can be very effective. Line it with felt or old woolen clothes.

The third is the instrument Playing with a mute or an absorbent bell cover that is well padded can help reduce the sound and not affect intonation much.

Some players have had success playing into a wardrobe full of clothes.

Coverings for ears can be helpful.

I have never tried this but an open face motorcycle helmet can cost as little as 10 dollars and might not affect playing at all.

This would cover the ears and this option would allow extra sound deadening via earplugs.

Some hats have ear coverings and might be effective.

Yamaha silent brass used with large can earphones might be a good solution and you can vary the volume presented to the ears with this.

Keep an open mind on this and try lots of things.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Skanker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:

The second is the immediate surroundings. Playing into a chamber that is lined with sound absorbing material cuts down sound, A large cardboard box into which you play can be very effective. Line it with felt or old woolen clothes.

I made a version of a Mute Tube. I posted a video in the thread 'Soundproof home setup'. Seems to work well.
Andy
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing in the shower should work.
Whaddya mean, 'Not that kind of dampening?" You're no fun at all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: