• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Permanent Transition From One Instrument to Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet_Martinez

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Permanent Transition From One Instrument to Trumpet Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask if anyone has had similar experience in transitioning from one instrument to trumpet, not necessarily in doubling as I am not intending to play the Horn anymore.

Some background, I have always been a Trumpet player, I picked up Horn entering High School and played both throughout. Following High School I auditioned for University as a music education major on a Horn Scholarship. I always did Big Band/Pep Band/Second Band on trumpet as much as I could to keep my chops up. Recently I decided to switch to the trumpet studio since it is the instrument I desire to play more.

So far the transfer has been smooth, since I have no repitiore under my belt I am working Goedicke's Trumpet Concerto, Concert Etude, and Arban's Carnival of Venice. My University has required warm-ups everyday, and my professor gives me instruction how to get my technique up to par. Since the transition was not necessarily under peaceful circumstances with the Horn professor I am fulfilling obligations in the University bands playing Horn so all my playing is just pure practice and studio work at the moment.

Thanks for any input you may have

-Will
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet me here. This would be perfect for you.

I'll be conducting a ZOOM session this Friday 2/26 7:00am CST.
This would be a great introduction to the William Adam routine as taught to me in 1982 by Mr. Adam.
bill bergren is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: bill bergren's Personal Meeting Room
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9854582581
Meeting ID: 985 458 2581
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your scholarship is dependent on you successfully playing horn, then I suggest that you do not jeopardize it by devoting too much attention to trumpet.

As an adult amateur, I played horn for almost 20 years (having played trumpet when younger). In the last several years I have returned to trumpet.
I think there is a large mental 'attitude difference' and 'sound quality' difference between horn and trumpet. I do not think that I can 'switch' between instruments and play them in their accepted 'characteristic manner'.

If you can juggle the switching, and maintain good performance (and position as a student in the Music Dept) on horn, then fine. But be careful ...
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to play the trumpet you will find a way.

The only thing to be careful about is from whom you accept advice.
Trumpet_Martinez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
If your scholarship is dependent on you successfully playing horn, then I suggest that you do not jeopardize it by devoting too much attention to trumpet.

As an adult amateur, I played horn for almost 20 years (having played trumpet when younger). In the last several years I have returned to trumpet.
I think there is a large mental 'attitude difference' and 'sound quality' difference between horn and trumpet. I do not think that I can 'switch' between instruments and play them in their accepted 'characteristic manner'.

If you can juggle the switching, and maintain good performance (and position as a student in the Music Dept) on horn, then fine. But be careful ...

That's the thing, I'm just finishing out the semester as Horn player in ensembles to maintain my scholarship, so right now all my trumpet time is only practice, and lessons in studio. I have no intentions whatsoever to double after this and solely be a Trumpet player, with all the logistics being worked out with scholarships for Trumpet.
Bach 184 Cornet
Cannonball 42 Artist (Kanstul)
King 2020 Flugelhorn
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Not sure what the question is but I will tell you what I think as a older more experienced trumpet player. Number one is to maintain a good relationship with your teacher and school. Its very important for your future. On the other end, for us regular joes, you need to stay on one instrument and mouthpiece to develop solid professional chops. You will hear differently here but keep this in mind. Good luck. jw
Trumpet_Martinez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wilder,I guess if I were to rephrase the question it would be asking for other's experience in leaving one instrument for the trumpet, and some of the struggles, and ways they got their chops up. I'm on good terms, just in akward situation where I'm not getting ensemble time on my Instrument and seeing how I could make up for the missed experience for the time being.
Bach 184 Cornet
King 2020 Flugelhorn
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: after carefully re-reading your first question it seems what I wrote didn't apply to your situation so I removed it. Sorry for that.

Last edited by deleted_user_687c31b on Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet_Martinez wrote:
Thanks Wilder,I guess if I were to rephrase the question it would be asking for other's experience in leaving one instrument for the trumpet, and some of the struggles, and ways they got their chops up. I'm on good terms, just in akward situation where I'm not getting ensemble time on my Instrument and seeing how I could make up for the missed experience for the time being.
Ok, I will try to add to my first reply. I do play on other instruments a little bit, mainly Baritone. Its a constant battle to keep up on all that I do as a freelancer. For you right now its probably best to only play Horn at rehearsals and performances and practice trumpet lightly at home until the school year is over. By lightly I mean no more than a hour or two just doing basic stuff out of the Arban book, not too loud or high. I would alternate Horn one day and trumpet the next if you can. The fact remains until you stop playing Horn you are going to have a tough time. Hang in there best you can. jw
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet_Martinez wrote:
... so right now all my trumpet time is only practice, and lessons in studio. I have no intentions whatsoever to double after this and solely be a Trumpet player, with all the logistics being worked out with scholarships for Trumpet.

----------------------------------------------
Is there any type of 'trumpet playing ability' requirement that you need to meet in order to get the scholarship for trumpet? Find out what trumpet ability is needed (will you need to audition), and WHO has to recommend you for the trumpet scholarship, and if (hopefully not) someone is likely to block the trumpet scholarship.

If you are required to demonstrate increased trumpet ability to get the trumpet scholarship, that complicates things and adds risk.

edit: Is your mention of 'trumpet pedagogy' in regard to immediate steps you need to take to improve your trumpet playing?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional thoughts about your comment -
Trumpet_Martinez wrote:
... and ways they got their chops up. ...

---------------------------------------
Has your trumpet instructor mentioned that you have a 'chops' weakness' or 'embouchure concern'? Are you looking for advice or suggestions about how to build your trumpet embouchure?
The more details you provide will help get better 'targeted' replies.
Trumpet_Martinez

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Additional thoughts about your comment -

Has your trumpet instructor mentioned that you have a 'chops' weakness' or 'embouchure concern'? .

Well, my short comings are not necessarily in fatigue, or emboucher, but more in style. I'm comfortable with aspects of trumpet as I've never not played trumpet, I've always done big band and combo for the last seven years. My problems are more in articulation, vibrato, and sound concept working torwards a characteristic soloist sound.
Bach 184 Cornet
King 2020 Flugelhorn
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice above.

What do you want to DO in the future? I’m assuming become a band director because you’re a music ed major. The answer to that might help you determine your plan.

Don’t just go through the motions at college like so many people that reach the end of it not knowing what they really want to do.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet_Martinez wrote:
... My problems are more in articulation, vibrato, and sound concept working torwards a characteristic soloist sound.

----------------------
Record yourself - The 'sound image' in the mind while playing might not be what actually 'comes out the bell'.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you are in a bind for 2 reasons. First, you are bailing out on a horn scholarship at the end of the school year to go to trumpet and have decided to start that move during your scholarship period. If I read it correctly, you even dropped horn lessons for trumpet lessons?

Second, you are trying to get your trumpet playing up to standard, while playing horn in ensembles to maintain that horn scholarship. But you are not sure how to go about making the transition successfully.

Don’t go in to politics! From later posts you appear to at least annoyed some faculty, which is not wise. (It was my forte at grad school... 😜 )

My advice is to find more time. Then, fulfil your scholarship obligations at college 100%. Keep them thinking you are a good person who is worthy of support.

Take your trumpet playing off reservation and do it in your own time. And that means find outside ensembles to play in. Do your listening and practice on both instruments (see above about fulfilment of financial support) and after you have done enough on horn, go gang busters on trumpet.

To get to the place you want to be it IS going to be in the practice studio you need to be. Ensemble playing will help but it is the mental picture of trumpet that is critical. Only you can develop this.

Cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: