• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Change to labelling of Berp Bio Oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Change to labelling of Berp Bio Oil Reply with quote

Hi

I have been using Berp Bio Oil No. 1 Light for some time.

My previous bottles look like the ones on the Berp website:

https://berp.com/biooil/

I ordered 5 bottles directly from Berp, in November, but have only just gotten round to opening the package.

I notice that the label has changed from blue to yellow. Whereas the Berp website says that their trumpet oil is non-toxic and the blue labels are designated non-toxic, the yellow bottles have a peel here Danger label on them. Underneath the bottle is marked non-toxic.

Since my young daughter is now playing brass, and oiling her valves herself, I am wondering where there has been a formula change, or what other reason there is for the Danger labels having been added to the bottles.

Does anyone know?

Many thanks

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on what the peel off lashes says. If in doubt, just contact the manufacturer, I reckon.

In any event, no lubricant is going to be rated as food safe (you can eat/drink it) without fact, so treat it as toxic.

Cheers

Andy
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have with oils is toxicity and vapor pressure.

A non toxic oil can have high vapor pressure and high vapor pressure can lead to breathing of fumes into the lungs and coating the lungs with oil distillates, this is a very rare condition, and has only occurred when unsupervised children have purposefully drunk valve oil.

While the distillates are non toxic the coating is in fact hazardous because it inhibit the function of the alveoli in the lungs in absorbing oxygen into the bloodstream.

This will undoubtedly be the reason for the caution and label color change.

The danger from high vapor pressure and inhaled distillates is only present if you accidentally or purposefully drink the oil and the heat of the stomach then causes evaporation of volatile elements in the oil which then can become trapped in the lungs.

The distillates pose no health risk from toxicity but can be a hazard in very rare circumstances and the company is clearly aware of this and is concerned about customers health,

I would see no reason to stop using this product on safety grounds, It is just a better and more accurate labeling and the risk to health is I believe unchanged and negligible.

Personally this label change would give me greater confidence in the product and not less.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of food safety I worked with rock oil labs and we developed a food safe oil as a valve oil so it is possible to have food safe oils and a number of those do exist and are used in the food and catering industries.

I consider it likely that Berp Bio oil is indeed fully food safe and certified as such.

There are three classes of oil, medicine safe, food safe, and all the rest.

The food safe oils are certified and have stringent handling requirements and procedures to preserve the food safe certification.

This is governed by strict regulation.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Change to labelling of Berp Bio Oil Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
... the yellow bottles have a peel here Danger label on them. Underneath the bottle is marked non-toxic. ...

------------------
Is there anything written on the bottle label, or on the 'peel here Danger label' that indicates a need for caution?
From your description it seems the 'peel here' label doesn't contain any useful information. Maybe its only purpose is to cover the 'non-toxic' that is written on the bottle.

I could not find a MSDS for Berp Biooil, so no information that way.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDSD for valve oil... I laugh.

At my previous school we did a material handling, where we were explicitly instructed to NOT use any product in a school setting without a MDSD available. (This is my jurisdiction, not yours!)

The presenter was shown valve oil, and, visibly shaken when told these products were in the hands of students and freely available, was again precise - do NOT use in a school setting.

Asking for MSDS from distributors and manufacturers saw only 1 response, from Binak.

Consensus was to pretend that entire day did not occur and we just went back to valve oil use as normal...

Does ANYONE have documentation for any other valve oils?

Cheers

Andy
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del - I requested and received a MSDS for Alisyn Valve Slide Key Oil PN 2090. I would think any oil, if manufactured in the US, will have a MSDS available upon request.

Louise - I would contact Berp and request them to email the MSDS.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
upoils
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is purely a regulatory issue. As the owner of Ultra-Pure Oils, we also were forced by the US gov't regulators to revise our packaging to remove "non-toxic" indications and add very specific safety warnings. This is required for ALL consumer products that are oils of any type (synthetic, bio, petroleum) with a viscosity of 20cSt or less, which would include all brands of valve oils. Berp oil is just complying with these same regulations. We were told that the fines for not complying were upwards of $1 Million and jail time, so the choice was pretty clear!!!
ken "at" ultrapureoils.com
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnman wrote:
Andy Del - I requested and received a MSDS for Alisyn Valve Slide Key Oil PN 2090. I would think any oil, if manufactured in the US, will have a MSDS available upon request.

Louise - I would contact Berp and request them to email the MSDS.
Ron

Excellent. I asked for Al Cass oil MSDS and all I got was a confused expression and a promise to look into it. That was 2010ish from a major Sydney store...
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this info wasn’t available on google at the time you were searching. But, here you go (msds for “Fast” oil, Al Cass).

http://www.cr.k12.ia.us/file.aspx?DocumentId=4949
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: