• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Gig bag

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Eastman/Winter fiberglass case for single trumpet. Excellent protection and smaller than a Torpedo. Carry your extra gear (mutes, stands, music, etc) in a separate bag.
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinforcing a bag might do more harm than good. A careful adult carrying a trumpet in a Cronkhite bag should be fine. I have two (trumpet and cornet) and would absolutely take them on mass transit, including the subway. Perfectly fine in a secure spot in a car with nothing around to land in it. Bucket is overkill. I would grab a Cronkhite from Dillon for $145 if I was in the market. BTW, forget ordering from the current iteration of Cronkhite directly. They are an absolute mess, customer service-wise. You’ll find threads in trombone chat and tubenet that can also attest to this. I won’t deal with them directly again.

Accidents do happen.

I had a Cronkhite era Reunion Blues euphonium bag that took a short slide/fall from a chair resulting in a bunch of good-sized dents. I was really surprised. Protec euphonium bags provide better protection. I don’t think Cronkhite trombone bag slide protection is adequate. Altieri is much better for that, but bell protection is about the same.

No dents transporting two different large tubas in a Cronkhite, but car back seat transport only. I was extremely careful after the euphonium incident. Neither the padding nor the backpack straps are adequate for such heavy horns.

Edit: My observations are based on owning only cordura bags. Perhaps someone else can chime in re: any additional protection provided by leather.

Last edited by arthurtwoshedsjackson on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People also seem happy with their Superfine cases. The owner is well-known in trombone/tuba circles and is a good guy.

https://superfinecases.com/
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurtwoshedsjackson wrote:

Edit: My observations are based on owning only cordura bags. Perhaps someone else can chime in re: any additional protection provided by leather.

I read somewhere that Steve Kreisel (Torpedo) did say that leather, at least in Cronkhite bags, does offer a bit more protection. He said Glen Cronkhite told him this. I recently got a Cronkhite flugel bag in cordura, compared to the Cronkhite single trumpet bag in leather that I have, that seems correct.

Brad
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently got a Boston gig bag for my cornet. The pictures on their site don't show the large amount of padding that's in them (including over the zipper!). For regular travel and such, it really seems protective enough. Of course, it helps that the cornet inside is made like an oil tanker .
Dink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gard single case in Cordua is a good value. It has pretty good padding and sells below $50
Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
LeBlanc Bobby Harriott Model
My. Vernon Bach Mercury Model
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: