• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Coming back after 40 years

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartySD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Coming back after 40 years Reply with quote

Greetings to the forum-
I’m a 66 year old guy, recently retired from 35 years of medical practice.
I played a lot throughout college and med school, community bands, brass ensemble, still buying lessons in med school.
Hung it up in 1981 when I became a resident and quit living like a human being for a few years.
My main horns from back in the day are a LeBlanc 770 Gozzo and a large bore Mt Vernon Bach Strad cornet. The last few years I concentrated mostly on the cornet, and that’s where I’m heading now. I was using mostly a Bush MW 2 fior the trumpet, and an antique Conn Wonder for the cornet. Also a Giardinelli 7C.
I’ve ordered a Curry 8.5VC for the cornet

I thought I would restart with the Arban book, maybe 30 minutes a day for starters. Any other suggestions for starting my comeback?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have to do is practice scales. Scales and more scales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUij8FCg0z8
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve found the Bolvin Arban guide to be helpful:
https://bolvinmusic.com/product/arban-manual/

Scroll down a bit.

Last edited by arthurtwoshedsjackson on Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blues scales. Sprinkle liberally.

I took 39 years off. Got my horn, reached out for Arban and said, "Uh uh. Had enough of that in high school."

Don't miss it a bit. Comeback's been 7 years' strong.
MartySD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Bolvin Reply with quote

Ordered the Bolvin manual- thanks!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming back after 40 years Reply with quote

MartySD wrote:
... Any other suggestions for starting my comeback?

----------------------------
Buy one of the Bb instrument 'Fake' or 'Real' books - you can find lots of listings online, in case there isn't a local music store that has them.
Review the list of tunes and pick one (or more) that looks good. That way you can get the enjoyment of playing some recognizable tunes.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming back after 40 years Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
MartySD wrote:
... Any other suggestions for starting my comeback?

----------------------------
Buy one of the Bb instrument 'Fake' or 'Real' books - you can find lots of listings online, in case there isn't a local music store that has them.
Review the list of tunes and pick one (or more) that looks good. That way you can get the enjoyment of playing some recognizable tunes.

+1 This for sure. Develop your ear with play along CD's and have fun doing it. Real Book has a CD series. Aebersold CD's are the standard.
rexscofield

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting parallels to where I’m at. Played from 6th grade to my mid 20’s, have now turned 66. Since heading to retirement, I just found a Besson trumpet in a pawn shop for a reasonable price, so it’s time to relearn everything I once knew. Good luck with your return to playing!
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. You already have great advice, so I will just add. Enjoy yourself. Play music too.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought I would restart with the Arban book, maybe 30 minutes a day for starters. Any other suggestions for starting my comeback?

Welcome back to trumpet/cornet playing! If at all possible, take lessons. Online is fine for now. That will help you avoid bad habits, develop good ones and get the most out of your practice time.

If that isn't possible, and you'll be playing on your own, you might consider a few books in addition to Arban, or even in place of it (for now).

Eric Bolvin's excellent "Arban Manual" has already been mentioned.

Claude Gordon's "Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing" is a great companion to Arban. Where Gordon references material from St. Jacome you could simply substitute a lesson from the Arban Manual. Add Clarke's "Technical Studies" and a flexibility book like Bai Lin or Irons and you'd have a solid routine to build on.

Harold "Pappy" Mitchell's "Mitchell on Trumpet" is the best single method for self study that I have come across. It has a series of 84 lessons that go from very easy to very challenging. It offers more comprehensive practice material than Arban alone does.

Good luck, and have fun!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played between 1953 and 1965, put the horn down and didn't pick it up again until the start of 2016 at the age of 79. By the fall of 2016 I was playing first chair with a local community band. I practice 1 hour technical stuff in the morning and play the songs I love in the afternoons for 1 hour. To me the playing of the songs is what it is all about so am complete agreement with Jay.

Welcome back and have fun.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
jonzbonz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story has some similarities. I'm 66 and returning to trumpet and flugelhorn, the first for a couple of years and the second a few months now. I started on tpt and then added euphonium, trombone and tuba (short time) in high school. After playing low brass only in college I found myself plying trumpet and tenor trombone in church at first then other gigs lt from late 70's into the early part of this century. I added flugelhorn to the mix in the late 80's and bass trombone in the late 90's. In 2004 I laid down the trumpet but not the bones and didn't touch it again until two years ago. Since then I've developed an arm injury that prohibits me from playing tenor and bass bone so I'm repurposing myself as a high brass guy. More importantly I'm really enjoying it.
mikepodorski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 9 months into returning after 20+ years. My advice is to be patient. For me, it has been a slow process. I've had a few "resets", where I've addressed a developing bad habit and had to go back a few steps. Nothing like being quite good at something and starting from scratch. That being said, I love it! It is totally worth it! Welcome back!
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just add welcome back. Enjoy yourself.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came back at age 79 after a 50 year hiatus. I merely used the textbook my professional playing teacher used to teach me. I went through it all, page by page. I started in the spring of 2016 and was playing first chair in the local Horizons band by the fall. Now five years in I am playing with one of the best community bands in this part of the country.

Welcome back. I think you'll do just fine. Good luck.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
FatherCharles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikepodorski wrote:
I'm 9 months into returning after 20+ years. My advice is to be patient. For me, it has been a slow process. I've had a few "resets", where I've addressed a developing bad habit and had to go back a few steps. Nothing like being quite good at something and starting from scratch. That being said, I love it! It is totally worth it! Welcome back!

I'd say definitely take Mike's advice to heart.

In addition, as mentioned several times on this board, "rest as much as you play". Play for a minute, rest for a minute -- or whatever interval best suits you -- but do take the horn off your lips and give them a chance to recover during your practice sessions. It's especially easy to over do it at the early stages of a comeback.
TrumpetSpecialties.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject: Comeback players Reply with quote

Besides time on the lips, practicing… Make it fun!
I recommend picking up a multitrack Sound on sound recorder, like a Tascam or a Fostex. They’re out they’re pretty cheap both the old cassette tape versions and new digital versions.
This will not only allow you to hear yourself, critique yourself, but also some great enjoyment playing duets and or trios with yourself.
You can even lay down recordings of your favorite music onto a multi track, and then record your own additions, solos, harmonies and play along with your favorite groups.
Once your lip is back in shape, get out there and audition for some local community orchestras or groups and such!
Best,
Dean
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just came off a seven year hiatus back in mid November.

Here is what I have learned at 47 years young and doing my comeback:

After a week of total frustration, I reached out and started taking lessons to get me up and running. There are people out that know way more than I do.

I have learned to never pass up an opportunity to learn from someone, they have knowledge they can pass on and to help in the journey.

Pride can stop people from seeking knowledge. I was totally embarrassed asking for help when I started, it’s the best thing I have ever done!

Teeth move, my setup changed and even my horn angle had to change. Hearing changes too!

Range is not there in the beginning, but creeps back, you found your path once, you will find it again. Give it time.

Don’t practice old stuff you know, you will go straight back into bad old habits. I’m not talking about basics, but musically. Instead learn something new, like an etude or two. Master each before moving on. Better yet do this under the guidance of a teacher to help with attacks and interpretation.

30 minutes? I was lucky when I first started to last 10! I also learned not to play on inflamed chops, the time will build up before you know it. It’s more important that you keep a schedule. I now play during lunch and after work.

Most importantly, have fun. Otherwise you will just get frustrated.

When I picked the etude I wanted to learn, my teacher went through some options for me, one sounded amazing and was excited to learn it. I’m still working on that complex piece, but it’s getting way better! Next up in my lesson, he has started to have me do a little sight reading, he also has singing them first before I attempt to play them. Lastly he just added to have me singing notes with a piano to help with with intonation in my spare time. We finally discovered most of my intonation problems had to do with my old horn. I came back to the race with a flat tire.

Listen to trumpet players that you want to sound like to shape the sound in your head.

Never in my life has there been so many trumpet resource's. Due to Covid there is a ton of information on YouTube in the form of interviews with well known players. I have picked up some golden nuggets listening to those.

You tube channels include: Trumpet Diagnostics, The trumpet gurus hang podcast.

Facebook: trumpet, trumpeters, trumpeting

Forums: you found it already!

Make sure your horn is cleaned! Replace old pads/corks, welcome to the new generation of synthetic valve oils, cleaning systems, digital music, online lessons and open communication though trumpet communities!

Due to online lesson, I ended up investing heavily into a ribbon mic and listening to myself via headphones as I play live, I really wanted to hear what I sound like on the other end of the bell. It would be cheaper just to record yourself to hear progress, but I had some free Amazon money, so I figured why not.

Welcome back! Enjoy the ride!
Georgetown, TX
2022 Bach 190s37 artist select
1976 Schilke X3lb
Jupiter 846l black lacquer
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get this and play it for a few minutes every day. https://osmun.com/hickman-100-lessons-for-trumpet/

As your chops return add more playing time and more challenging material.

Have fun!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Coming back after 40 years Reply with quote

Welcome back! Fellow physician and fellow comeback player here. I picked up the trumpet again after a 20-year layoff, and have been back playing for 10+ years.

I agree, that if you go with Arban, the Eric Bolvin's book is a helpful guide. The Rubank books might a reasonable alternative, and are what I've used. The Rubank intermediate method along with the Supplemental Studies are a good intermediate-level introduction. And the Rubank Advanced Volumes along with the Selected Studies are good for an advancing player.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: