• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Selmer Chorus 80J

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Selmer Chorus 80J Reply with quote

I have a Selmer Chorus 80J in my collection. I noticed something today about the Selmer Chorus 80J that is different from any other horn I own. Specifically, the diameter of the opening at the beginning of the lead pipe is smaller than any other horn I own. It's so small that the plastic knob on the snake of this cleaning kit won't go through the opening.

https://www.wwbw.com/HW-Brass-Saver-Cleaning-Brushes-465124-465124000901000.wwbw?rNtt=trumpet%20cleaning&index=28

Does anyone know the specifications and how they would compare to a Bach 37, a Benge 3X or a similar horn? And what is the intended effect of such a small opening?

The horn is extremely responsive and easy to play, more so than almost any other horn I own, the valves are superb and the horn produces a beautiful sound.

I usually don't play the horn. It's just one of many in my collection but I thought I'd play it today so I cleaned it first. The tiny diameter of the beginning of the lead pipe was a surprise.
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured one I have here in the shop at .313" which is extremely small. The leadpipe also has an extremely fast taper and quite different than most. Little known fact that the TT has the exact same leadpipe.
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jhellerstein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Landress Brass wrote:
I measured one I have here in the shop at .313" which is extremely small. The leadpipe also has an extremely fast taper and quite different than most. Little known fact that the TT has the exact same leadpipe.

Interesting! I have a Concept TT and I had to cut the little ball off that same snake. Also, word to the wise -- don't try pulling Tim Wendt's "best damn leadpipe swab" through there. I mostly switched to the BlowDry Brass system, which I recommend -- it works fine on the TT.

I haven't gotten to play a Chorus, but the TT is such an interesting horn. Sounds super big and round behind the bell but it's pretty bright out front. Awesome valves. Was my main horn for 20 years or so.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup smallest Venturi I even measured was 80J. I remember it being 315, but apparently I did not write it down in my notes. Connstellation is 330, which is also small.

I have a selmer b700 that is 358, huge
A radial that is 351, no marking as to model number, big bell
A selmer deVille that is 340 and very beveled. I like it. Very slotted
And just got a great playing 24bx k-mod that is 343, and plays supreme.
Actually all of those selmers play real nice.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: