• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet mods for playing outside

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Trumpet mods for playing outside Reply with quote

This is a sort of random question that came up for various reasons: no gigs but time to think, having a 40 year old beater horn lying around, knowing of a young local instrument maker trying to start an independent career right now plus a few other things, so forgive me if it is nonsense.

This is the background: in regular times I play 1st trumpet in a community orchestra with a lot of brass and woodwinds (about 20) and pre COVID we used to play in a stadium with 6000+ folks singing along carols and popular stuff just before Christmas. The stadium is not big (about 10 - 12’000) and there is a choir with amplification and us without amplification. Two sides of the stadium are open (no seats but hill slopes) thus reducing sound reflections quite a bit.

Now, as this is about an hour to 90 minutes in the cold, sometimes in pouring rain, I typically take my 1980 Blessing scholastic trumpet and not one of the more expensive horns in the signature.

Without gigs I still practice but recently the weather got me thinking what could be done to the horn to make it heard better? I was thinking: Dizzy bell, more open leadpipe, make it heavier to project more, ... at the moment it’s just messing with ideas but I sort of like the idea of doing something with the horn. Plus I know of a young trumpet maker locally who just set up shop and who I think would be happy to survive through the pandemic and such a project could thus be fun for at least two people.

Any thoughts? Crazy ideas welcome, not sure what I’ll do in the end. There can be some fun aspect to it, our tuba player will dress up as Santa Claus and bring along his sousaphone, so fun ideas would be fun Maybe a crazy lacquer job, Taylor style?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the outdoors (the biggest room we play in) is the one that I notice the instrument quality the most. In the Air Force Band playing outside with my Blackburn was awesome!! Could really tell the difference in core, resonance, and projection.
And LOVE my Bach outside. Why spend all that money and then play a beater outside????
Fortunately, rain or cold won't hurt the trumpet. The only time(s) that I consider using a less than my best is if there is a high risk of damage, like a marching band show or an unsightly parade.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. I don't have much to add in terms of instrument modifications, but I have been mulling about optimal outdoors playing.

A few years back I realized that I had difficulty keeping the instrument to my lips while marching, and that it took additional embouchure effort to keep the trumpet in place. To compensate, I used a bigger mouthpiece and found it helped a lot with endurance. I don't know if your band marches, but it could be worth a shot if you do.

In my country, it rarely snows and when it did last winter, I wanted to go outside somewhere quiet and play my trumpet (and yes, I brought my quality trumpet). It was pretty cold outside and I noticed quite some issues with valves and slides getting stuck. For that kind of weather, I imagine a beater with lower tolerances might actually hold up better because the metal parts have more room to move. And for the mouthpiece, well in hindsight a plastic rim would've been perfect.

You mentioned a 'dizzy bell' as one of the modifications...I'm not an expert but I can imagine that if you're playing in the lower parts of the stadium, an upwards bell might help your sound reach the audience more easily. But if it does, and the rest of your section plays on regular instruments, you might not blend as well with the rest of your section. But I'm no expert, so maybe what I just wrote is utter nonsense...
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to first look at how the problem has been addressed by instrument makers in the USA for marching bands.
Kanstul had the "Coliseum" 103 model and King put out an 1117 model, and the KTR411, KTR412.

Usually bell size greater than 5 inches. Large bore - .462 to .470. Maybe a bell that is angled up just a bit. Looks like they were going after sort of a large bore Bach.

You may have a projection problem with your present horn but you should have a friend check your sound outside at a distance. Sometimes the problem becomes one of hearing yourself rather than projection. If you can't hear yourself, you could try adding some weight to the mouthpiece or bottom valve caps. I found the Doug Meeuwsen #4 Purviance backbore copy a big help playing with amplified choir, piano, and organ.

As for a do it yourself super horn - I always wanted to take a .468 bore Olds Ambassador cornet and stick a trumpet leadpipe and bell to it. Nice and heavy to start with.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. As I said the whole thing is more of a thing to play around in my head at the moment. I do like some suggestions such as large bore horn or large bell. Will keep pondering things and let everyone know what is going on.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: